Self Reading

Tarot2015

Hi Tarot2015!

That is a good question. Like indigoviolet said, I think that tarot might show you the cards that describe the most the current situation.

But then, if you rephrase your question a second time after that you received a description of the situation, you might receive more guidance, especially if you ask for an advice

According to me, to answer your question, it is completely normal that tarot gives you the cards that represent a situation. I would even add that Tarot will try to be objective and to integrate your opinion in the answer.

However, most of the time, tarot will be more objective than trying to copy and paste what you think about a specific situation to shed some light on the problem

Thank you tarot_quest. You mentioned a major point here that the cards indeed pick up the current situation which when further queried can provide lot more details.

IndigoViolet

Hello IndigoViolet,

In a self reading, I find at times the cards picking what the situation could be as per my understanding or what I may think could be a case.

As such, I don't understand if the cards are showing the reality of the situation or just picking the thoughts and if I need to draw more cards to know the true scenario.

Thanks for your answers.

Your question would be ones that are pretty hard for even those whom read Tarot for others as well, as the whole idea of how Tarot works, for exact, many don't even know a single thing, at all (yes, seriously). Neither my Osho Zen Tarot teacher knew. All that a lot of people knew is that one just shuffle and lie them down according to either a certain "universe rule" or "intuition", and some more trial and error, testing skills on other people and recieve feedback in return, and then using the sense of what Intuition is, and try to "feel the intuitive power" in a better way next time.

All people would tell you is that they just made it there by trial and error.

However, you can take my advice here. Self reading is one of the hardest and trickiest aspect on, I don't need to talk about only Tarot, that can apply to any tools you used, and as well as just do one blind without anything at all. If you came to realize that the cards reflect something that you thought about, then congratulations, you are seriously with luck. Diving into a deeper aspect of not the cards itself, but what the mind reflects, even though you didn't ask the tarot anything, your mind has the question in mind already. You only need to ask yourself what you have just really asked yourself. You knew what you want to know. You have to dig it up, or by looking at the cards.

IF you ask my teacher how Tarot works, all they could tell you is that the "Universe" gives you the power through the use of "Intrition", in contrast, not that to them, rational thought matters. But I would greatly emphasis, that how Tarot works should always be how *you* want it to work for you, and I think that this is very important. The only way that it cannot do what you want it to do, is when you are not honest enough to accept the truth. The universe is a copy machine itself. How you use "Him" is up to you. It means on the other hand, it comes down, that by shuffling the Tarot cards, you are creating something, asking for someone's wisdom, the creator of the Tarot imagery and its descriprion, to come up with a coincidence reflecting your coincidence. So it really can't be wrong.

You are free to draw as many cards you want for one specific question. If one does not give a sufficient picture, as in an incomplete reading, draw more cards. Depends how your mind works, you can get a spread as a reference and change them to suit your needs. In some really really deep issues, which beginners might not even got that problem anyways, sometimes the deck might never go deeper than its imagery (even different decks aim at different audience). Then at that point, you might even need to replace your deck with another deck that is more advanced. That happened to me before.

Tarot2015

Your question would be ones that are pretty hard for even those whom read Tarot for others as well, as the whole idea of how Tarot works, for exact, many don't even know a single thing, at all (yes, seriously). Neither my Osho Zen Tarot teacher knew. All that a lot of people knew is that one just shuffle and lie them down according to either a certain "universe rule" or "intuition", and some more trial and error, testing skills on other people and recieve feedback in return, and then using the sense of what Intuition is, and try to "feel the intuitive power" in a better way next time.

All people would tell you is that they just made it there by trial and error.

However, you can take my advice here. Self reading is one of the hardest and trickiest aspect on, I don't need to talk about only Tarot, that can apply to any tools you used, and as well as just do one blind without anything at all. If you came to realize that the cards reflect something that you thought about, then congratulations, you are seriously with luck. Diving into a deeper aspect of not the cards itself, but what the mind reflects, even though you didn't ask the tarot anything, your mind has the question in mind already. You only need to ask yourself what you have just really asked yourself. You knew what you want to know. You have to dig it up, or by looking at the cards.

IF you ask my teacher how Tarot works, all they could tell you is that the "Universe" gives you the power through the use of "Intrition", in contrast, not that to them, rational thought matters. But I would greatly emphasis, that how Tarot works should always be how *you* want it to work for you, and I think that this is very important. The only way that it cannot do what you want it to do, is when you are not honest enough to accept the truth. The universe is a copy machine itself. How you use "Him" is up to you. It means on the other hand, it comes down, that by shuffling the Tarot cards, you are creating something, asking for someone's wisdom, the creator of the Tarot imagery and its descriprion, to come up with a coincidence reflecting your coincidence. So it really can't be wrong.

You are free to draw as many cards you want for one specific question. If one does not give a sufficient picture, as in an incomplete reading, draw more cards. Depends how your mind works, you can get a spread as a reference and change them to suit your needs. In some really really deep issues, which beginners might not even got that problem anyways, sometimes the deck might never go deeper than its imagery (even different decks aim at different audience). Then at that point, you might even need to replace your deck with another deck that is more advanced. That happened to me before.

Thank you for your answer. May be I should reframe questions more for a better answer from tarot.

gregory

I don't read for myself any more. Because I know I will cheat. There will always be something in my life that I can attach to the cards if they don't deliver something I wanted to hear about any given question. "Oh - this can't be about that - but hey, these cards could relate to this other thing."

I think the only way to read for yourself is to think very hard about something Richard Feynman said:

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool. So you have to be very careful about that. "

Honestly - I can't do that. So I ask others to read for me. It is too easy to fol yourself with what you want to hear. I would rather get the answer from someone disinterested. I also avoid reading for friends, for the same kind of reason. I will probably have views on their situation, and that will colour what I see.

Achlys

Asking the right questions and grounding yourself has definitely helped me get accurate self readings. Clearing your mind and entering a neutral state is crucial for me, otherwise the readings get distorted. If it is something I can't separate myself from, I have someone else do the reading.

La Force

I posted this in another thread.

Topic: Reading for yourself

There are so many ways to read for yourself, as there are so many different decks, as there is so many books, as there is so many different reader and different reading methods. Every deck, Every reader, Every book are all different takes, views, and opinions. Yet you take 1 from ?, and 1 from ?, and again from ?, which results in what works for you. "little bit here, a little bit there".

What works for her, doesn't work for him, but may sorta work for you.

I have read for myself since I began my tarot journey, in the beginning because I was learning I made mistakes, errors, misunderstood, etc. what the reading meant. Let's be honest, there are so many ways to read the cards (Thoth, Marseille, RWS, Etteillia) each method the meanings that correlate to the cards changes from one to the other. I bought books and decks etc. which all vary in there interpretations and can or will just add to the confusion, if your not already confused.

What I did and what you can do is to first learn how to detach your emotions from your physical, mental, and spiritual self. once you master detachment. reading for yourself and others, becomes so easy and natural.

This type of detachment is like separating yourself from a loved one, whether through divorce, or death. (Grieving process) think of the stages you go through, keeping in mind everyone is different. Once you hit the angry stage, you know that the next stage your detached and can move forward in life. That feeling where your in empty sorta zone, but not, you know, it's like (nothing, blank, silent, no feeling at all, dead inside) is the key (detached), and that key is how I can stay objective, in all my readings, no matter if it's for me or others

Letting go / detached, isn't easy at first, but once you learn how to control it, and bring forth when needed, your readings will be very accurate, with any reading style / method your most comfortable using.

Hope this helps you or someone else

La Force

nisaba

While doing self reading, will the reading be considered accurate if the cards are shown up based on our thoughts for the situation.
I don't think in terms of accuracy. Is the reading USEFUL or HELPFUL in assisting you to make decisions and choose your next actions? That will be up to you, and whether you are by nature one of those people who can read for themselves. I personally find it hard. Others don't.

happen to distort the reading.
That will be different from person to person. Do YOU think it distorts YOUR readings? If so, then yes.

What is the correct process of doing self tarot reading.

Correct? Correct for whom? For myself, I sit down, shuffle, and throw a few cards onto a table. Then I look at those cards and think about them. If your system is different, then it is correct for you.

Farzon

Hi

I read for myself all the time, but am aware that if I read when I am emotional or anxious about the issue then my fears will show in the reading rather than the truth. I usually leave the issue 24 hours (because that's how long it takes for me to calm down if I'm stressed :D). The trick is to be objective and if the cards keep telling you something you don't like then that is the message they are trying to get through to you. There is no hiding from them so I just accept it. Some things you can't change, for example other peoples feelings in a reading.

I'm not sure that there is any one definitive way. I have found it to be a case of trial and error really, but that's what learning is all about, I suppose.
I used that approach, too. But thinking of it, an idea came to me: when we are afraid of a situation, or nervous, there is nothing that distracts is from the topic. We are completely a part of the situation without interference.

Two conclusions: when Tarot reflects our hopes and fears, it works, only in a different way than showing future events. And knowing this, a self reading can become a powerful tool for self-reflection.

It won't show you the future, but the shroud that covers it. And that's the first step in dealing with the situation; to my mind even a better one than asking the future.

La Force

Found this, Thought you would find it interesting.

Quote: by Edwin J. Nigg

There are Many indications that the cards c an help. For a modern person it is not easy to believe that through shuffling the cards, the seeker's magnetic powers will influence their sequence to make up conclusive images and prognoses. Nevertheless, several tests have shown that the main aspects do not alter, or only minimally so, even if the cards are laid out several times."

" The reader must always be aware of the fact that the tarot cards do not offer a ready-made preceiption for the future, and that their real value lies in helping us to think impartially about our past, to thoroughly analyse the present, and to project the sum of these insights onto the near or distant future."

"Of course you can read the cards for yourself."

Desecrated

"..and above the temple stood the inscription Know thyself"