Who should pick the cards

Tarot2015

Imo, as far as questions are concerned, it doesn't matter. The same whatever it is that assures that the "right" cards come up for me when I read for myself is the same whatever that will ensure the "right" cards for someone else's question, whether they touch the deck or not. I don't think personal energy is what ensures the answer. I think that's just whatever it is that makes tarot work to begin with.

I DO however think that personal energy determines how you interact with the energy of the deck as a reader. I've worked with one deck of playing cards for a long time now and the way it responds to me is the way that will make the most sense to ME. I do not like another READER touching my deck with the intent to read it at all. Lol.

Thank you SunsetKay

Michael Sternbach

Hello,

While doing a reading, should the querent shuffle and pick the cards or should this be done completely by the reader.

If the querent is picking the card, then this is similar to a self reading with an expert interpreting the cards.

Do cards just pick the energies of the person picking the card or do they focus on showing the cards that are the factual to the situation.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I would say that the cards that are pertinent to the situation do show up either way, however, I don't exclude the possibility that a well attuned reader might have a better ability to select the most appropriate cards from their deck than their average client.

A middle way might be to let the sitter shuffle the cards (as to become part of the process), while the reader draws them from the fan.

JackofWands

My practice has always been for the querent to cut the deck, but for me to be the one to shuffle and deal. This is a convention adopted from card games; it's a gesture of inclusiveness and shows the querent that I haven't somehow stacked the deck.

My take on this has very little to do with a view about the "right" cards coming up, though. It's more just an attempt at politeness and at showing that I'm not a charlatan.

Tigerangel

I think you can do a perfectly fine reading with right cards coming up for the querent without them even touching the cards but I think that comes down on how you feel mentally about doing it that way if it sits comfortably with you then it will work on the other hand if it worries you that it's giving the wrong cards then you won't feel confident the right cards have been chosen so ultimately I feel it's all down to how you mind perceives the dealing process.

On a personal level I have found I prefer a querent to shuffle and cut the deck 3 times while they concentrate on their question just for their energy to be on the cards then I shuffle them again and place the cards that I feel I should stop at, but with my partner I hate it when he shuffles them because he riflles them and then ends up with half my deck reversed and I don't use reversed cards as a prefer to work with elemental dignities.

For online reading which I do more of than face to face ones I have found over time that asking for the querent to pick a number from 1 to 13 helps me, I'll shuffle, cut when I'm ready then if they've chosen no.5 I'll count down to the fifth card from the cut works better for me.

It takes time to find what your comfortable with but I feel the right cards coming out is mainly how you feel about the deal, so if you trust your mind to lead you to pick the right cards for your querent it will.

Just my view on dealing out the right cards :)

Tarot2015

Thank you Michael, JackofWands and Tigerangel

IndigoViolet

Hello Tigerangel.
How did you come up with that method? Even though, that as a method is quite a nice one indeed! I had times myself that after I shuffled the cards, I fan them and let them pick whatever they want, in case someone clumsy would ended up dropping the whole deck on the floor... but for online readings, I did prayers before, and then pick my cards.