ORACLE decks you've gone BACK and FORTH on

greatdane

Any ORACLE (not tarot, not Lenormand) decks that you couldn't decide if you really liked or really didn't and went back and forth on? And where did you end up on how you felt? Or are you still debating?

Nyx-Knits

I am pretty new to oracle decks, so when I was encouraged to try a few out I ended up buying two, Earth Magic and Messages From Your Animal Spirit Guides Oracle. I was looking at themes and art that appealed to me and didn't even realize until they arrived that they were both by Dr. Steven Farmer.

I bonded with Earth Magic instantly, and I can tell this is likely going to be a tool that I will use for the rest of my life.

The Animal Spirit Guides, not so much. I started off with one or three card of the day draws, and nothing was making much sense for me. I did some guided meditation and found some spirit animals that were interested and keeping an eye on me right now, and felt really good about that so I went back to the deck with an open mind.

It was even worse than before. I tried more specific question reads in addition to card of the day draws and pretty much figured I would be trading this deck.

I put it aside for about two weeks. During unpacking I found some old items that needed cleansing, so I went ahead and cleansed the deck again. After that I experimented a bit, and it is growing on me.

For me, this is a card of the day deck. It has improved in accuracy for me in that way. It still gives me odd spreads when I ask a specific question. So for now it is only used in a card of the day capacity, and it has given me some decent feedback to reflect on. I've been keeping notes with it now so I can go back and see if it really is helpful.

So greatdane, are you going back and forth on a deck? Do you care to share your experience?

greatdane

Hi Nyx-Knits

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I asked because oracles (I don't consider Lenormand oracles, I meant decks other than Lenormand or tarot) aren't something I have really delved into.

Lenormand, read A LOT, tarot I'm very comfortable with and what I started with, but oracles....just haven't gotten into them much.

I did get the Playing Cards Oracle, but it's learning something brand new and not sure how I feel yet. Love the images.

Oracles feel like more of a free for all, not that there isn't a system or can't be, but each can be so really different.

I will update as I move forward (hopefully I move forward!) with the Playing Cards Oracle, but for now, I will just read anything anyone posts (like your gracious self :) about oracles they've liked, not liked, gone back and forth on and see if any strike my fancy.

HighPriestess

Eight now I'm going back and forth on the Celtic Shaman pack. I love the art but do I need another deck right now?

Barleywine

I can't say that I've gone back-and-forth because you have to go forth before you can come back but I did ask a very similar question a while ago. What I retained from that is the Psy-Cards will probably be the next oracle deck I buy, then the Messenger Oracle, followed by the Enchanted Map Oracle. Presently, the only oracle deck I own is the Oracle of Visions, but I haven't really warmed up to it. The cards are quite large and I don't find that I can draw much meaning from the images, even though many of them are beautiful. Most recently, this one has grabbed my interest; looks like it has almost reached its campaign goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revelations/revelations-oracle-cards-tarot

greatdane

Psy Cards

I did have and love Psy Cards and you really don't need a book as there is a great site where you can buy the cards (but don't have to get them there) that give you all the info you need.

I found them a bit like tarot in some ways. I liked them a lot, thought they read well, but I wasn't using them so I gifted to a friend who wanted the deck.

It isn't expensive and knew I could just get another one day.

For the price on Amazon when I got them, a great deal. Liked the card stock, images and like I said, you really don't need a book (there is an lwb, but the Psy Cards site is better).

Amanda

I did have and love Psy Cards and you really don't need a book as there is a great site where you can buy the cards (but don't have to get them there) that give you all the info you need.

I found them a bit like tarot in some ways. I liked them a lot, thought they read well, but I wasn't using them so I gifted to a friend who wanted the deck.

It isn't expensive and knew I could just get another one day.

For the price on Amazon when I got them, a great deal. Liked the card stock, images and like I said, you really don't need a book (there is an lwb, but the Psy Cards site is better).

They don't have the full meanings of the psycards on the site anymore. :( They've set it up to where you have to buy a book. They only list the short meanings that come with the deck on the site now. I'm kind of disappointed about that, because I bought the deck right before they made the change to the site. It would have been nice to know they were going to do that because I may not have bought the deck then.

So, I've gone forth on this one, and may be backing out now. I may give the deck away or sell it. I certainly haven't been using it since this change.

greatdane

Sorry to hear that Amanda!

That was a big plus for me. I really enjoyed the cards, I just wasn't using them much at the time and a friend wanted them and I thought well, I can always get another.

I just jumped over the site and see what you mean, Amanda. I always thought it was so cool they offered so much for free. I would tell people they could get what they needed from the site. I never bought the book.

But I do think they are a great system and have read with them on numerous occasions and may get them back one day.

Serenia

Hello Amanda,

I tried to send you a PM, but wasn't allowed to. I saved the website with the full card meanings on my computer a while ago. Right now I have them in .mht files, but I can try to convert them to .pdf! :)

(I think this should be okay regarding copyright as long as I don't share them publicly? I mean, they decided to share the material for free originally.)

Barleywine

They don't have the full meanings of the psycards on the site anymore. :( They've set it up to where you have to buy a book. They only list the short meanings that come with the deck on the site now. I'm kind of disappointed about that, because I bought the deck right before they made the change to the site. It would have been nice to know they were going to do that because I may not have bought the deck then.

So, I've gone forth on this one, and may be backing out now. I may give the deck away or sell it. I certainly haven't been using it since this change.

Thanks for the heads-up, Amanda. I find the best oracle decks more amenable to free-association, so I don't pay a lot of attention to the creator's suggestions anyway. I do like the imagery and may still buy it.