Marseilles decks for study purposes

tmgrl2

Rusty, in the Three of Swords thread, I was so moved by the picture you posted of the Sola Busca Three of Swords that I ordered the deck...especially because it was such an early precursor to the PCS image...

And yes, I agree that S.Simon's references as you have given them...I have a different book are excellent. I was just shocked that after the general discussion of numbers and suits...e.g. swords...then going through them from 1 to 10...the summary paragraph on Three of Swords was a totally negative take.

Also, in the Three of Swords thread, I posted how my study of the Marseille decks, some work with numbers and suits and my love for my RWS decks is leading me to a more integrated understanding of meanings.

So, I think we are on the same page. I happen to love
S. Simon's book The Tarot but did have the one objection that, in this book, at least, after she does the general discussion of numbers and suits, her paragraph summary of an individual pip card, doesn't include the "broader" meanings she has just discussed in re to number and suit.

terri

Moonbow

Oh dear Lark!!!

I think we are in trouble now :eek:

I beleive Father Christmas has visited you too!

Cerulean

The Three of Swords "Pre-Golden Dawn" usually is Etteilla

http://www.villarevak.org/td/td_6.html

This is commonly done also in the Italian cartomancy descriptions in the books I saw by Laura Tuan (Tarocchi Laura Tuan, which is the Dotti Tarocco) , Isa Donelli (Tarocchi Italiani di Gumppenberg 1830) and sometimes integrated in the historical recreations of Lo Scarabeo decks (Egyptien with Falconer-Wegner designs with art by Sylvana Alasia/Gonard & Berti authors) and Visconti Gold (book also by Gonard & Berti)...and it seems many U.S. Games/Visconti-produced decks that might have great and individualized commentary on the majors: many repeat the Etteilla divinatory meanings for the minors.

Oh well...

Regards

Cerulean

lark

Moonbow* said:
Oh dear Lark!!!

I think we are in trouble now :eek:

I beleive Father Christmas has visited you too!
Oh Moonbow*
He sure did!
Now we know where Santa really lives! :D
psssst....did you dance naked in the street yet?

Astraea

Since the Thunder Bay Press set has been discussed above, perhaps it would not be out of line for me to ask a question here about the reproduction quality of the deck.

On mine, the colors appear to be quite washed-out (especially the outlines, which look grey-to-dark grey on the cards), and the facial features of many of the figures are blobby and obscured -- especially, for example, the figure at the top of the Wheel (X), and the dog on Le Mat. The cards as they are depicted on the box are quite vibrant, the outlines crisp and the faces clear. Is this because the cards depicted on the box lid are from the Camoin Bicentennial deck, and the cards in the box are photographs of them, thus one step removed? I have compared the cards from my set with the scans on Mark's site, but can't get a good idea of the answer to my question from them.

I am certainly not complaining, just wondering. For the price, this is a very nifty set.

Moonbow

lark said:
Oh Moonbow*
He sure did!
Now we know where Santa really lives! :D
psssst....did you dance naked in the street yet?

Not yet.. we had a frost this morning :)

and besides... I haven't got it yet...

Fulgour

Astraea said:
On mine, the colors appear to be quite washed-out (especially the outlines, which look grey-to-dark grey on the cards), and the facial features of many of the figures are blobby and obscured --
As many editions as I've seen of Nicolas Conver's Marseille,
and here I mean the ones that are true photoreproductions,
the Thunder Bay version is a very accurate representation.

There are recreations that amplify the colours and details but
then that represents something different than an actual copy.
I think what I liked most about the Thunder Bay publication
was that it was faded and scratched, so genuinly authentic.

Astraea

Thank you, Fulgour. I am new to the study of historical decks and wanted to be sure.

Fulgour

Hi Astraea

I have to admit to using a black ultra fine point
Sharpie marker to add just the slightest touches
to Justice and Temperance, around the eyes...
whisperings of brushstrokes, butterfly kisses.

Fulgour

Hello Astrea

Astraea said:
Thank you, Fulgour. I am new to the study of historical decks and wanted to be sure.
Interest continues to grow... how are things going?