A Skeptic's Conundrum

catlin

I usually check the sky, animals and the moon to get an idea what the weather will be like (moon in water sign and you can count on 85% that you'll need an umbrella that day - at least here).

Umbrae

catlin said:
I usually check the sky, animals and the moon to get an idea what the weather will be like ...
In my home-town of Portland Oregon, there's a saying, "If you can see Mt. Hood, it's going to rain. If you can't...it's already raining."

Malygris

I think the Tarot isn't really about predicting the weather. It's meaning is far deeper than that. But what I would say to a skeptic (and I'm a skeptic myself, sometimes) is that the Tarot can be used 'non-linear' thought. Many great scientific discoveries have come about due to intuitive jumps.

If someone gets 'stuck' on a decision and the thoughts just spin round and round without getting anywhere, the Tarot can be a tool to provoke new and creative ideas. Perhaps you could suggest this explanation to your partner to help break down his prejudice, and you never know, he might start to see the worth in the Tarot himself.

There's nothing like experience, and if someone just asks questions like 'Can the Tarot predict the weather?' because they think they already know the answer, then they're never going to learn, are they?

If he can't see this, there's probably no point in arguing about it.

sharpchick

Letter_A_Gules said:
I've since resolved the question with my boyfriend, and we're back squabbling about other things.

:joke: I sense a kindred spirit. . . Glad all is back to normal, LAG.

SunChariot

firemaiden said:
I would say that tarot over all is better as a reflective tool than a predictive one, especially in the hands of a skeptic.

Tarot would not work in the hands of a skectic. That is what I think. It is a highly spiritual tool, and it will only work well when treated with the proper respect and reverence. That has to be there first.

Maybe if you asked about the weather for some reason just for yourself, you might very well get an accurate prediction. I think you would.

But if your boyfriend asked, or if you asked for him, maybe not. Tarot is a tool of faith. You have to have faith for it to work. If you ask a question just so Tarot can "prove" to him that it works, it is likely to balk at that adn not be interested in cooperating, if I am explaining that right. You have to have the faith first.

It's like saying to G-d I will believe in you once you prove to me you exist. You ,may not get as positive a result as if you go in already believing and wanting a sincere communication.

Well, those are my feelings. Hope I did not upset anyone.:)

Bar

Sophie

OK, I am going to do an experiment, since I am one of those silly ones who uses tarot for all sorts of things, including the reflective and the predictive (although I have never scrubbed the floor with my toothbrush...)

I am asking the Thoth: what will the weather be like in Geneva tomorrow?...

2 of Disks - Change. It's currently beautiful and cold. It's going to change. Probably to nasty and cold.

I'll check into this thread tomorrow.

btw, Letter_A_Gules, I'm glad you resolved matters (at least of tarot and the weather) with your sceptical boyfriend :)

Nocturnal Lure

In my opinion and experience the Tarot shows you what you have inside, it is a door to your own skills. If you have lingering precogntion, the Tarot is a perfect divination tool, if your third eye is still closed, so to say, you will get all sorts of great psychological perspectives but will be hugely dissapointed by it's predictive capabillities.

This said, when you have a good feeling, consious or probably subconsious, (cause even us humans are subconsiously often quite in sync with nature) about the weather, the cards will reflect this knowledge.

So if you know weather, or you are in tune with your surroundings, the cards will predict the weather....

NOTE: As an empath, you can also tap into others subconsious knowledge and precognitions.

My two cents...

memries

Why do you care what your boyfriend thinks of Tarot if you approve of yourself and you enjoy what you are doing ??????? Do not give him the upper hand by approving or disapproving of what you do and like to do. Just be you.

sharpchick

Memries, I didn't get the impression it was an issue of approval/disapproval. It sounded to me that her guy is deliberately challenging her to prove, first - that tarot is accurate and effective when used for divination. Then he wants to know "how" and "why," as in "let's hear the scientific basis for your belief."

At that point in a discussion, I usually just tell whomever is gunning for me that not all tools are equally effective for everyone. Many people prefer to use other forms of divination, even if they don't actually apply the word "divination" to say, "sixth sense," etc. For me, tarot is uncannily on point far too often for me to even think of questioning whether it works. If that's not scientific enough, then hey, the skeptic can move on to something more palatable to him/her.

jumptothemoonyea

One of the ways to make this work is to assign all kinds of weather conditions to all tarot cards. Like: light clouds->3 of cups, cyclone->tower, heavy snow->9 of swords etc. Then do a reading, any spread. Results could be surprisingly accurate. We could do a study group on this. Assign the cards, do readings, compare results. Marion - a weather study group? :D:p