Shuffling?

ShekinahMoon

I shuffle so to avoid reversals since I'm still trying to learn the cards right side up :) I then just pull out a section of the deck and stick it back somewhere else in the deck. (I call that the quiet shuffle if I'm in public and do not want to do the traditional shuffle which makes noise with the cards sounding like flipppppppppppppppp :joke: )

SunChariot

Here is what I do. For shuffling, I have always done it this was as when I started I heard it is the way that is least damaging to your decks:

Cowie Push/Put Method
In Tarot for Successful Living, Norma Cowie describes her push/put shuffling method. Her technique thoroughly mixes the cards with maximum hand contact and little or no damage. Hold the deck face down in your dominant hand. Push some cards from the top with your thumb into the other hand. Then, push again, but this time to the bottom of the new pile. Continue alternating a push to the top, then one to the bottom until all the cards have been transferred. At this point, put the entire deck back into your dominant hand and start over. This method can be difficult at first. You may push too many or drop some, but your technique will improve with practice.

Of course, the whole time I am shuffling I am repeating the question in my mind, almost kindof like a meditation of some sort.

I tend to shuffle 4 times, as 4 is the number of completion. But I do listen to my intuition here. If, after 4 shuffles, I don't have the feeling that the cards are in place as they should be, I will keep shuffling until I feel sure they are.

Any cards that happen to fall out or flip out during shuffling (which is what I call "flipped" cards), I place on the table face side down until I am done with the rest.

Then I place the cards down on the table, face side down of course. And separate the deck into 3 piles, one next to the other. Then I place my left hand over each pile one at a time and try and sense which pile is giving off the most energy/warmth... Sometimes I have to try a few times until I am sure. But once I feel sure, I am sure. Then I put the two piles not chosen together and add the "chosen" pile on top, making one big pile again. And pull the cards from the top.

Once I am done reading the cards of the reading, I turn over the "flipped" cards one by one. I consider these to be of special importance, and to indicate something the universe finds it important that I see. I add these in as a part of the reading.

Oh and I sometimes use reversals, sometimes not. If I chose to, before starting the shuffling I separate the deck into two haves and turn one half upsside down and recombine the deck.

Hope this makes sense.And is useful in some way.:)
Bar

SunChariot

sunflowr said:
There's no wrong way to shuffle. You could take the deck to the top of the Empire State buidling or "Top of the Rock" in NYC or any tall building anywhere in the world, dump all your cards out the window, watch as they fall like a ticker tape parade down to the ground, and then take the elevator down, go outside, gather up all your cards, and it's shuffled. ;)

May not be the easiest way in the world, or the cheapest as you would have to travel to NYC first. LOL But I have to admit it does sound very effective.

Bar

kamodo

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's just interesting to see how other's shuffle. I'm also just learning the card meanings, so reversals confuse me a bit. Right now I'm ignoring them, but still marking them in my reading journal, so I can look back at a later time.

I agree that throwing my cards off the Empire State building would be a bit of a hassle to do on a daily basis since I live about a thousand miles from there, haha, and I'm sure it would be quite the journey getting all the cards back. Heck, it could be a reading in itself, each card you pick up being the next step on the way. :p I'm not all that up for testing that out.

Again, thanks, it was interesting to read.

ShekinahMoon

sunflowr said:
There's no wrong way to shuffle. You could take the deck to the top of the Empire State buidling or "Top of the Rock" in NYC or any tall building anywhere in the world, dump all your cards out the window, watch as they fall like a ticker tape parade down to the ground, and then take the elevator down, go outside, gather up all your cards, and it's shuffled. ;)

Good luck finding all 78 of your cards :joke:

mollykins74

I shuffle the cards then ask the sitter to cut the deck with their left hand