Songbirds vs Owls

greatdane

I have noticed on some decks, there are little songbirds and on others, owls. Do lenormand readers see them both the same? I have read different meanings for these two cards. But do most lenormand readers just see BIRDS and have one meaning fairly standard meaning? Whether a deck has one type of birds or another, does it matter to you? I am just trying to clarify how I will see birds in my own meanings as I begin, so wanted some feedback please.

Nina*

No, it doesn't matter. The meanings are the same no matter which birds are pictured.

kalliope

I agree with Nina.

The same is true for a few other cards: 11-Whips/Rods/(Broom), 22-Paths/Crossroads, 20-Garden/Park, and 23-Mice/Rat. Same meanings regardless of which picture they depict, or which title they give to the card.

greatdane

Hi Nina* and Kalliope!

I read about songbirds, or just birds, being associated with talkative situations, a small group. But then I read something about birds being mysterious, it was a bit of a darker meaning. Would you care to share how you see birds as just a card? I know it can depend upon where it is in a reading perhaps exactly how one might see it, but in general. I would really be interested in your take, oh and if you could share your feelings re lilies, that would be really helpful too! THANKS.

Nina*

To me Birds are talks, communication, gossip, nervous, stress, excitement, a couple.

Lillies are sex, harmony, purity, maturity.

greatdane

oh that is very interesting to me, Nina*

The lilies were a bit confusing to me because I didn't know if one could see them as purity and sexuality. I can depending on the reading and cards around it. But I know some readers see it as purity OR sexuality, not both. I like the idea of using as either meaning, thank you :)

Nina*

:)

I'm glad you like it!

Sex is (supposed to be) also harmony and purity in my opinion, so it makes perfect sense to me. I know many differ in this interpretation and unfortunately, to some people sex is something ''dirty''.

kalliope

I read about songbirds, or just birds, being associated with talkative situations, a small group. But then I read something about birds being mysterious, it was a bit of a darker meaning. Would you care to share how you see birds as just a card? I know it can depend upon where it is in a reading perhaps exactly how one might see it, but in general. I would really be interested in your take, oh and if you could share your feelings re lilies, that would be really helpful too! THANKS.

To me Birds are talks, communication, gossip, nervous, stress, excitement, a couple.

My meanings are very similar to Nina's:

Lillies are sex, harmony, purity, maturity.

I see the Lillies primarily as sex, but also harmony, family, or an older benefactor

I see the Birds as: talks (especially telephone calls), communication, gossip, nervous, stressful, hectic, [and less common for me, but still there: a couple, 2 of something]

But now Britta's course is having an effect on me, and her meaning of "passing troubles; small troubles or worries that you can work through" is starting to stick. It's actually a very old meaning, quoted from that German Game of Hope instruction sheet that came with the original cards. It seems to be a less common meaning with other readers I see around, but I like it. I'm still figuring out exactly how to integrate it, though. I'll be watching in my readings to see how the card seems to come up for me the most, and then I'll stick with that.

greatdane

Hi Kalliope and Nina*

Oh this is getting very interesting!

OK, Kalliope, regarding the birds, do you think one can see them both as communication and perhaps seem them in a more troublesome vein as well? As you mentioned, troubles you can work through, something along those lines. I could see them as being both depending upon the situation. It doesn't seem a far stretch to see them as possibly both depending upon cards around them. It is interesting to see these different meanings for birds, that was one of the cards that most seemed like it could be a little ambiguous as I began learning meanings.

And Nina*, oh absolutely with the lily I can see where sex doesn't have to mean the opposite of purity, but I read a reading where someone said could be sex as sexual harrassment in a job reading. That seemed something to ponder as I saw the other cards (it was on a video online).

kalliope

OK, Kalliope, regarding the birds, do you think one can see them both as communication and perhaps seem them in a more troublesome vein as well? As you mentioned, troubles you can work through, something along those lines. I could see them as being both depending upon the situation. It doesn't seem a far stretch to see them as possibly both depending upon cards around them. It is interesting to see these different meanings for birds, that was one of the cards that most seemed like it could be a little ambiguous as I began learning meanings.

I think I'm going to have to settle on either/or for the most part (at least for a good while). "Phone/text communications" vs. "passing troubles" feel very different to me. The latter would put the card in the mildly negative category, whereas the former is neutral. If I tried to combine them, I think it might be hard NOT to see "troubles" every time, so that could easily overshadow the other meanings.

But if I go the way of "troubles," I'd have to be okay with assigning all of those communications meanings to the Letter instead, though. And I'd need to decide if I would keep the gossip/hectic/stressful/busy meanings. Shifting them around can get complicated!