Laminating cards

debitutchi

I have a tarot deck (its a Sola-Busca, Mayer ed) that I think is gorgeous, but it isn't laminated (in any way) so I feel it is pretty fragile. The card backs are just plain white cardboard stock (also not laminated). I am thinking about:

1) getting the cards laminated (front and back)
2) possibly painting the cardbacks before lamination (something simple just to get rid of the unfinished look that bothers me)

Has anybody done something like this before? Is it possible to get an existing deck of cards laminated? Any artists out there have experience with this?

Thanks for your thoughts! I'd love to use this deck, but as it is I feel like its pretty much a museum piece.

G6

Hi! I did a thread on this awhile back and some people responded. I'm thinking about it again because I just got a Merryday Tarot, which is OOP and really flimsy card stock.

I'm also thinking about edging it in black before I laminate.

I'll bet there are folks out there thinking OH NO, an OOP edged and laminated?!?!?! ;-)

Would love to hear opinions again... :)

Starri Knytes

I've purchased a couple of homemade, laminated decks and really dislike them, the shine, the unnatural feel of plastic in hand, how cheaply they are made (flimsy paper encased in plastic). Of course that's not your problem.
This was my solution...
I scanned the decks, and had them reprinted on card stock. The bonus with reprinting is that now I have 2 copies of a deck/artwork that I love, and I was able to change the card's back which I did not.

HudsonGray

There can be some issues ---

The cards get too slick to work with.

The cards are too THICK with lamination on both sides and you can't easily handle shuffling.

The lamination messed up, putting a fold in the clear laminate across the card.

Trimmed badly. Edges don't line up.

G6

I've purchased a couple of homemade, laminated decks and really dislike them, the shine, the unnatural feel of plastic in hand, how cheaply they are made (flimsy paper encased in plastic). Of course that's not your problem.
This was my solution...
I scanned the decks, and had them reprinted on card stock. The bonus with reprinting is that now I have 2 copies of a deck/artwork that I love, and I was able to change the card's back which I did not.

This seems like a better solution although I'm not sure if it's copyright cool, BUT how much did it run you$?

Starri Knytes

This seems like a better solution although I'm not sure if it's copyright cool, BUT how much did it run you$?
I considered copy right, my copy is not for resale it's just for personal use so don't think that's an issue. You can also scan your deck and upload it into a mobile app. My cost was about the same as a new deck $40.
You can find info on the app and on printing sites here @AT.

Mystica7

I don't like the idea of a laminated deck.

I have the gold foiled Egyptian Tarot and the cards are pretty fragile. Well, I be careful, gentle and slow with shuffling and it does. I recommend the same with any decks you want to keep particularly flawless.

But since I like my cards to live, breath and sleep with me; I accept the fact that they will get tarnished.

mydearruby

Can anyone introduce how did you actually laminate the card and using what?

HudsonGray

There are two ways to laminate. Take them to Kinkos and have them run it through their large laminator and cut them apart leaving plastic all around the card (the card is sandwiched between two layers, the heat seal bonds the plastic to plastic, if you cut too close you open the 'pouch').

Or you can use a home laminator that does the same thing. Depends on how thick the laminate is, some are pretty thick so you have two layers plus the card for each card.

Or you go get clear contact paper from WalMart or the Dollar Store and set your cards face down or face up on this and only 'laminate' one side to protect it - that won't peel off, it bonds to the paper itself. You can do both sides of course, but you still have to trim around each card. Since it bonds to the paper you can cut all the way up to the edge of the card using this method.

mydearruby

Thank you so much HudsonGray! *rush to kinkos for trimming plus lamination!*