Thoth - Seven of Swords

thorhammer

Netzach in Yetzirah, Moon in Aquarius

Lord of Futility

I’m struck largely by Crowley’s statement about the one strong being opposed by the many weak – he struggles in vain. This is a very powerful way to word it, and to describe the card. It really gives the card an extra dimension, and makes me think about on what “side” I fall – the one strong or many weak. Am I opposed by many, or am I one of the masses who fight the nebulous greater order? And anyway, which is “right”?

The colours of light blue and silvery-whitish-purple are very Airy and evoke clarity. But also, with no solid-looking parts to the image to fix the swords to, the whole card gives a sense of disconnectedness and working in a vacuum. This applies nicely to the idea of mild rebellion implied by the “many” and the “one” in opposition.

There are five swastikas in this card, not all of which appear in their entirety. They are symmetrical, four-pointed, which implies a total of twenty points (although only thirteen are visible). This links the card to both Death and The Aeon, which I think is telling. Both those Trumps dovetail with the rebellion theme, with the overthrow of a regime or worldview and replacement with another. But those are unidirectional; this card is ambiguous. Is the current worldview about to be dethroned, or will the guerrillas be quashed? It’s all a matter of perspective.

Perhaps a divinatory meaning could be gleaned by using associations with planetary influences. If one considered one’s *cause* to be aligned to, say, Mercury, then it will be aided by forces relating to the other small planets (whose unifying cause may disintegrate upon victory); if the cause were likened to the Sun, then the light may be extinguished by the sheer number of warring factions.

\m/ Kat

ETA: Related thread: Magic symbols on the Seven of Swords - HELP

Yygdrasilian

Asklepian

Envision the moon reflected in a pool of still water - only its reflection is the inverse of its' phase. In this sense Futility is like yin and yang: every concept coinciding with its opposite. So long as we persist in a dualistic mode of living we are, essentially, caught up in futile struggles.

Again, compare with its counterpart, the 5 of Swords, and consider how they might represent two sides of the same test. Better still, fit the STAFF inside the SPIRAL and interpret the road our Hierophant must travel to reach the PILLARS.

Anna

I've pulled this card as an outcome on many occasions and immediatly thought "oh no, that looks bad"..... yet the questions have had very good outcomes.

On reflection, I have become to think of this as being about fate and the idea that if something is meant to be, then it will be. Good things, bad things, mediocre things. The idea that it is futile to try and change what is meant.

I think it is also about control; the need to surrender control and also being at the mercy of a something, unable to do much about it. I link the 7 to The Chariot and also to the issues of control, or seeming control, that are present with that card.

Grigori

Anna said:
I've pulled this card as an outcome on many occasions and immediatly thought "oh no, that looks bad"..... yet the questions have had very good outcomes.

I've noticed the same too, and glad to hear that others have. Despite the apparently negative meaning of this card, I frequently draw it and find a positive outcome occurs. Not often the outcome hoped for, but a positive one none-the-less. Its always been perplexing to me, but it happens frequently.

rachelcat

Very interesting insight on the many versus one. I'll have to think about that for a while.

In the meantime:

7 of Swords—Futility

7 = needs, desires
Swords = thoughts, mind
In need of clear thought = ignorance

One large sword with a sun symbol on its hilt points straight up. It has cracks in its blade, probably caused by the other swords. 6 other smaller swords point down toward the blade of the first sword, probably causing the cracks. The hilt symbols include (the only ones I can get: Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Mercury). The others are two rings and a big D? (hand guard). Snuffin says the two rings are the Moon—the rings create various crescents for the phases of the moon. And the only planet left is Saturn. Just got it. Saturn symbol usually looks like a lower-case h with right bottom curving in, so the hilt with hand guard looks like that. Kind of.

The background is light blue with large white swastikas/wings, some going off the edge of the card. Large and white, but disorganized.

The middle sword reminds me of the sword of the grail legends that will break when it is most needed.

Crowley says the other swords are in a crescent shape and they point to a point lower than the center. Guessing crescent = moon ruling the card, and lower than center means this card is not like the 4 or 6, more fortunate cards in which the swords point to the center of the rose.

Crowley and Snuffin say that the influence of the moon and Venus (7) means the emotions are “impinging” on the intellectual swords suit, and the Sun sword (Sun = rationality, openness, morality), leading to Futility. If you let your emotions run roughshod over your planning and intellectual endeavors, you’re not going to get very far.

Crowley also says that, like the 4 of Swords, it represents a policy of appeasement. (As I mentioned for the 4, this phrase was very much in the air at the time the cards were created, used to describe Britain’s original policy toward Hitler.) An emotional need/desire for tranquility leads to not dealing with upsetting things when we probably should.

Crowley also says we can see many feeble fighting against one strong. When there are enough feeble, one strong won’t have a chance.

Moon in Aquarius: independent freedom lover, individualist, self-sufficient, unreliable and aloof. I can see appeasement going along with this. Someone just wants to be left alone and not worry about what’s really happening. And this desire for freedom overriding any common sense.

In a reading: You may be looking at this issue in every way except the correct way! Your desire to free of the bother may be skewing your perception of what is happening and what to do about it. If you are dealing with bad news or demands on your attention, make sure you don’t kill the messenger.

Walter

Hello everybody,

Every new year's eve I pick a card that tells me what the energy of the next year will be that accompanies me. Several years ago it was futility. In hindsight it was not a bad year, but also not a good year. It just passed and nothing memorable happened. The colors of the card aren't too frightening but also not too bright. It's just... nothing really. Since then I noticed that a futility card in a spread isn't that bad for a human being, but if you see it in a bigger perspective it's quite bad. You have no right but to do thy will... that's exactly what doesn't happen with a futility card. Maybe it's not that bad, but it won't be the days or years that weren't that bad that you will remember on your death bed :) So, I think the warning from this card is: OK, it's not bad, but since when is not bad OK?

Walter

Always Wondering

Welcome, Walter.

I have nothing to add, except that I had a not-too-bad-day :( and I am going to go out and see about adding some radiant Glory to it. :laugh:

Looking forward to more of your posts.
AW

ravenest

Moon and Aquarius dont have any real strong stabilizing energy, no strong base; dreams, illusions, aspirations, feelings, but how to get it ACTUALLY done?

Swords are 'bad enough' by themselves, let alone 7 of them! And seven is not a strong individual (in the Tarot / qabalah).

To work your mind at its best ... unify it. Have one sword ... the magical sword of the mind or the ace of swords in Tarot, or second best ... a Sun sword; the 'mind' expressing the will. But what when there are 7 of them? All these different thoughts and doubts (represented by the other swords coming in to clash and disrupt the Sun sword) - all the little negative voices and doubts in our 'heads';
Mercury - too swift, too quick, it'll be over before I begin, I cant catch up.
Venus - I dont care enough about it anyway, I am not empassioned.
Mars - I'll burn out, I wont have enough energy.
Jupiter - Its too large, I cant get a handle on it, too big a job.
Saturn - Too much discipline required.

With those negative influences unified thoughts are bound to be disrupted and if allowed too persist, related actions will be futile.

finalstan

It's said to be a card of theft... It's true, as that's how it sometimes places itself in a reading. It's also card of ruse, seeking a third option in a tough situation. It envolves great creativity of mind, perhaps the strongest of all swords, because of the obstacles (which enhances this process). It's a card of IT programmers and those, who "write" in any sense possible (journalists etc.). Finally it can show "papers" - documents, acts, forms etc. This card can be very meaningful...