Which is the Thoth Tarot that people feel is spooky?

gregory

No other versions do have the green cast, though a few showed up in the green boxed USG put out later - from the previous printing.

It's lovely. I have a few. That is a REALLY nice one on ebay, and if I could justify it to myself I'd buy it. I have only one that green and it came to me missing a card - so when someone else with a greenie was missing a card I let him have one form mine. Now my very green one is missing two cards. Pity, that. (I have substituted les green ones from one I bought in the hope that it was PROPERLY green - but it's just not the same.)

Greenies are Great !

Nemia

I like my greenie, too. I bought it in a green box many years back in Israel, and when I opened it, I couldn't understand what I see - it looked so different from my small German Thoth... it's a bit gloomy but it's the deck I still use most often.

PathWalker

Yea, I just mispoke - or miswrote in this case. I actually have a deck with the alternate Magus cards, but thanks for the correction. ;)

No worries, just didn't want to confuse the first poster more LOL

I have only one Thoth - it's in that kind of box but I have nothing to compare it against so I've no idea how green it is :)

Abrac

I got my Greenie out and looked at the booklet, it's the same 8th printing as that one on eBay. This particular one is the best Greenie I've seen. But $125? c'mon. :laugh:

Laura Borealis

No other versions do have the green cast, though a few showed up in the green boxed USG put out later - from the previous printing.

It's lovely. I have a few. That is a REALLY nice one on ebay, and if I could justify it to myself I'd buy it. I have only one that green and it came to me missing a card - so when someone else with a greenie was missing a card I let him have one form mine. Now my very green one is missing two cards. Pity, that. (I have substituted les green ones from one I bought in the hope that it was PROPERLY green - but it's just not the same.)

Greenies are Great !

They are! I benefited from your Greenie Generosity - you sent me a replacement for mine's missing Hex card. For which, thanks again.

Part of the appeal of Greenies is nostalgia. I lost my original one (well, it was lost to me, anyway - long story) so I picked up another on eBay. But it wasn't $125.00! About a hundred less.

Astraea

I bought my white-box greenie for $12.95 US in the early 1980s - loved it from the get-go and didn't know that anything was "wrong" with it until I joined AT and started seeing posts about the vibrant colors in newer decks. Over time, a wide appreciation for the greenie has developed. I still love it and am so glad I hung onto it. I wouldn't pay $125 to buy another one, but that price might be acceptable to a Thoth collector who doesn't have an original greenie. I'm not aware of the greenie being considered "spooky" - wonder what that's about.

gregory

They are! I benefited from your Greenie Generosity - you sent me a replacement for mine's missing Hex card. For which, thanks again.
That was from a VERY broken one which I bought to fill the spaces in my broccoli green one ! (I have - a lot of greenies.)

Emily

I'm not aware of the greenie being considered "spooky" - wonder what that's about.

I can remember when I first bought my green Thoth second hand and the box came covered in red wax, I felt like it had been used for other things not just reading. It also didn't feel so good in the hand, so back in 2003 I posted a few negative posts about the deck, I did think it was spooky and it did creep me out.

It is actually quite embarrassing reading those posts now, the green Thoth turned into a firm favourite. I struggle reading the Thoth but the greenie always has something to say, it's a nice deck to use.

Astraea

I can remember when I first bought my green Thoth second hand and the box came covered in red wax, I felt like it had been used for other things not just reading. It also didn't feel so good in the hand, so back in 2003 I posted a few negative posts about the deck, I did think it was spooky and it did creep me out.

It is actually quite embarrassing reading those posts now, the green Thoth turned into a firm favourite. I struggle reading the Thoth but the greenie always has something to say, it's a nice deck to use.
Emily, thank you for that explanation. I think I remember those posts now...at around the same time, I received a used PoMo that felt AWFUL, and no amount of cleansing could touch it. Finally a selenium wand lain on top of the deck for a few days made it tolerable to hold. But I never wanted to use those cards, and ended up getting another used PoMo that was fine.

I'm so glad that your greenie became one of your favorites. Don't be embarrassed about those old posts, though...having personally experienced the same phenomenon, I can attest to the strength of such feelings. It wasn't the greenie, per se, that gave you the creeps, it was that specific deck because of something in the way it had been used - nothing against the Thoth, itself, or the greenies. Just like there's nothing wrong with the PoMo, but something had layered itself over that particular copy. It's wonderful that you were able to refresh your greenie and redeem it from whatever that energy was.

Achlys

Personally, I'm still in the anti-greenie camp lol

Honestly though, I've had people just assume all versions of the Thoth are creepy or spooky. I've met some readers that refuse to touch it and I never quite understood it. I suppose it has to do with their feelings on Crowley himself, but I've always been confused by that reaction tbh.