Deck of the Month Study Group??

Onyx

We are in the last week of the January so I have decided that I need to narrow down what I want to do for February. As some are drawn to the Loteria cards, I just am not. I get the interest and think that I should want to try but just not in me.

I wavered on using Magic: The Gathering cards, which I actually play the game, or Pokemon cards, I have been playing this with my preteen nephews. But I don't think that I could ever really get a "deck" that I woudl be happy with and actually use for the month.

Phase Ten cards have been something I thought about using before because they are numbered and colored but that seems that it would be just a little too close to the playing cards that we are doing this summer to really be that big of a stretch.

One game that intrigues me and I haven't played is Cards Against Humanity. This looks like an original idea for a game and I am looking to play it but not sure it would work as an oracle.

StoryWorld cards look promising too. They are fun and colorful too.

I looked around at some other things too. So loads of ideas out there but I have decided to use Rory's Story Dice. I just think that they are going to be great fun and flexible. I have tested them out a little this last month after I picked up a set while Christmas shopping. They are a good size and there is a good vareity. So I guess I will be posting in the Divination forum with those.

I have also set up a Tumblr blog for my findings. I have not really used it too much but wth the Story Dice there is an app that can capture photos. I am thinking about daily doign a reading and then posting it on the blog. I think if I have done it correctly it is in my signature. Just an idea.

Hope everyone is enjoy the journey as much as I am.

Onyx.

2dogs

Yes, it's been very good thanks Onyx. I think I'll drop out till May though, by which time I hope to be in a better position to join in with the tree cards. :)

GoldenWolf

Well, I am in for February since I have multiple Loteria decks to play with.

DragonFae

Onyx:
I've changed the thread to just our study group thread not specific to the loteria cards so please place a link in the thread when you post in the Divination forum and we can hop over and take a look at your experiences...I'm intrigued!

DragonFae

On a different note...when we do the April study which is the guardian based one....I am thinking about getting the Sacred Rebels oracle and trying it out...its not really guardian based unless we think of the different parts of self as guardians but it does interest me....and I have nothing else to use....

Onyx

Onyx:
I've changed the thread to just our study group thread not specific to the loteria cards so please place a link in the thread when you post in the Divination forum and we can hop over and take a look at your experiences...I'm intrigued!

I noticed your previous post and wanted to say thanks. I would still feel a part of the group but nice to have the special act of inclusion. One thing that I am going to push myself at this year is thinking beyond my normal boundaries. It is my Death year and I am really going at it with a effort to be transforming my life in many areas. Using Oracles more is important as I want to encounter the world in a new way.

Working with the Story Dice is going really well. I am very happy with the time that I have spent with the dice. I even picked up a small wooden tray that I am using as a casting surface that allows me to toss them a bit and not have them flying everywhere. This will also come in handy later in the year when I am also going to be working with casting as a divination system in September.

There is a lot of freedom and just playing around that I like with the dice and the system. Playing with the rules of the game the creators set out is a good basis as a start. It is working with nine dice images all at once in an effort to create a single story. For me I see that challenge as using the nine images as a single reading, giving me a message. The 3x3 patter is really open to exploration.

Then I have also drawn them out of the pouch I keep them in like a deck and then read them in position too. I find that they really work better in connection with each other and not just as stand alone symbols.

Work mainly with the first two sets of dice, the Original and the Action. These really pair up nicely as they provide both object and action.

I will be posting some readings later on this week in the divination forum. I might even try doing some live exchanges too. So keep an eye out!

Onyx.

DragonFae

I read your post about the story cubes....sounds interesting but I think there are so many they might overwhelm me. :bugeyed:

Onyx

May's Deck

Okay...

I am set for the months of March and April as I have both the decks we are going to study but at a loss for what deck to use in May. Not really a forrest/tree person but think that exploring a new deck would be fun. I am looking for both suggestions for decks in May but I have found this on Amazon and wonder what you all here think.

The Celtic Tree Oracle: A System of Divination Hardcover by Colin Murray

Anyone know anything about it. It appears to have been in print and that according to amazon it is about to be rereleased. I don't know. I have seen like one image of the cards and it looks nice. So what do we know about this deck?

Thanks,

Onyx.

Onyx

I read your post about the story cubes....sounds interesting but I think there are so many they might overwhelm me. :bugeyed:

I have come close to posting even a portion of what I have been journaling. It is nice to have something that I can use at the local coffee shop without worrying about the judgmental attitudes. Still I get a lot of attention with the Cubes and loads of people ask what they are.

They are a bit overwhelming. Made some appropriate limits on what I was using and made some good strides. It has been a lot of fun and very illuminating.

Looking forward to March I was curious how many of us will be using the Oracle of Visions deck. The first two months have had us all using different decks on a theme. I am looking forward to really working with the same deck for a change.

I would love to see the group take an effort to maybe divide the deck and each of us post threads about the different cards. Then if we take different cards then by the end of the month we could have all of the covered.

Also I would love to get an reading exchange using the deck. I don't know how many might be interested in this. I just get very self-conscious when I read for others with a deck/system I am not really familiar with but I thought since we were all kinda learning together then it might be fun an I wouldn't be so uptight.

Cheers,

Onyx.

DragonFae

Yes it would be nice to have a "count" of how many are using the Oracle of Visions deck. I like the idea of dividing the cards as we explore them.