X The Wheel of Fortune--Archeon Tarot

FaerieStorm

Lantz's portrayal of the Wheel of Fortune seems pretty standard at first-glance; however, at closer view, I realized that the image is deeper than it appears.

Elements:

Peacock Feathers: I don't know if anyone else is familiar with this superstition, but I've always heard that Peackock feathers bring bad luck to the bearer. I've always found that superstition interesting because peacock feathers are so pretty and attractive to the eye. Maybe the myth comes from the idea that "appearances can be deceiving."

Coins: Perhaps some one can help me out: I'm not sure what kind of coins Lantz used in the image, but in general, I would assume that the coins represent fortune, luck, and success--a stark contrast to the Peacock superstition.

The Wheel: I could be wrong, but the wheel seems to be an astrological chart (maybe a natal chart). Of course, such an image would invoke the idea of destiny, life's fortune, etc.

All in all, Lantz did a great job of taking a tradition representation of the Wheel and giving a slight twist. I like it because it's not way out there like some Wheel images, but it's still unique and attractive to look upon.

Go Lantz!

-FS

annik

There is an old feeling about this card, like an old document and old coins.
I don't see the peakock feather and the coins as abiguous. If the peakock feather is mean as bad luck and the coins as good fortune and richness, I think it can easily represent the ups and downs of life.

la-luna

The coins look like ancient early Christian ones (the imagery is clear enough) (and the opposition between the heavenly/spiritual message and the materialistic views of those who made the coins) and this opposed to the peacock representing Juno/Hera/… representing the ancient gods the pagan beliefs rooted in nature.

And the fact that nor fortune (the coins) or what nature has given us is there to stay but continually changing.

Alpha-Omega

la-luna said:
The coins look like ancient early Christian ones (the imagery is clear enough) (and the opposition between the heavenly/spiritual message and the materialistic views of those who made the coins) and this opposed to the peacock representing Juno/Hera/… representing the ancient gods the pagan beliefs rooted in nature.

And the fact that nor fortune (the coins) or what nature has given us is there to stay but continually changing.

I was gonnna say the Hera Connection to the Feathers haha

Sar

I looks like a oija-wheel to me, perhaps there is where the Peacockfeathers comes in..

WanderingPersona

I just drew this card in a reading on a rather sinister topic. Maybe I'm thinking too hard but when this card is reversed the figures on the coins are also reversed. The single figure coin previously on the bottom looks almost like the Hanged Man. The chin area on the face reversed even looks like an open-mouth smile. The coin with two figures previously on the top has them holding what looks to be a cross. In some religions the upside down cross is like saying, "Go to Hell." This is why in some murder cases people have been buried with their head at the bottom of the cross.

Sanctum_Priest

I note that there is a coin at opposite ends of the wheel. I think this means that money can have a positive or a negative effect on your life.