Why this book is not available on printed version?

ivanna

I would like to get a copy of the Tarot Reading Companion, from Aeclectic, http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/ebooks/tarot_reading_companion.shtml
But is only a downloadable version, not a printed one. I do not like the downloadable books. I have to print them, put on a folder.... I prefer a printed book.
Is there any possibility of getting a printed one?

gregory

It is only an ebook, but they are VERY easy to print out. You can do it two pages to a side and staple it.

ivanna

Yes, I know, I have made it before, and if there is no alternative, I will probably do it, but I prefer much to get a printed copy, is nicer, more easy to use, and maybe cheaper

Chimera Dust

It's probably because of printing costs. When an author gets a book published through a conventional publisher, it's the publishing company that shoulders the printing costs and all the investment that goes into releasing paper copies of the book. When a book is self-published, the author usually has to pay for the printed copies upfront, so unless there's enough interest (and a high chance that it will translate into book sales and not just supportive posts), it's a big risk.

As far as I know, AT doesn't have a publishing company attached, so it would probably be riskier to invest in making books that would take a while to sell out.

Also, it might be because of the international audience of AT. I'm not completely sure where AT is based, but people in different countries would have to pay shipping and customs taxes that can be pretty expensive.

Is there a shop where you can get things photocopied near you? Those shops will usually print things for you, that can be pretty cheap. I think the cost of that added to the price of the ebook would be more or less the same you'd pay for a paper book. I hope that helps :)

tarotbear

Speaking as an author - and not as a spokesperson for AT - I understand your disappointment, although producing both a paper and electronic version of the same book is relatively easy, but it means also having two different publishers, one for each format of the book. An ebook is easy to sell or distribute to an audience that reaches all over the planet; a paper book is not. A file is shipped to your device in seconds for free; a paper version must be printed, assembled, and shipped to you from the closest agent to your particular location or country.

What I am sure is more frustrating (which should be a consideration by the seller, BTW, IMHO) is to see what is obviously a paper version in the ad selling the electronic version ... gives you the mistaken impression that a paper version is available! :mad:

closerwalking

why is this book not avail in hard copy?

ebooks are also more earth friendly, kinder to trees. I am 60 years of life, and grew up with printed books, resisted ereaders for the longest time, sure I would miss holding a real book. But finally got a basic kindle and now I love, love the freedom to take selection of books with me everywhere now I have a lovely monitor, so now is enjoyable to read ebooks on my monitor. makes a big difference if one has a decent monitor. then these books are a joy to read. after finally taking the leap, I have found I love ebooks, and love that they are so much more earth friendly. also it opens up the publishing world. so more folks can share.