Why do new artists change the suit names?

karen0205

I am always disappointed when I open a new deck and the artist has changed the names of the suits. It's really frustrating to try and use a new deck that the artwork is too loosely based on the RWS system already and then they put some funky names for the suits. I find it annoying and creates and aversion to buying it for me. I want to be able to pick up a deck and use it right away. I don't want to have to study the book or booklet before I can use it. Just my opinion. I wonder if these artists really read or are just interested in tarot and decided to create a deck. Which is great too but then call it an oracle.

Richard

I am always disappointed when I open a new deck and the artist has changed the names of the suits. It's really frustrating to try and use a new deck that the artwork is too loosely based on the RWS system already and then they put some funky names for the suits. I find it annoying and creates and aversion to buying it for me. I want to be able to pick up a deck and use it right away. I don't want to have to study the book or booklet before I can use it. Just my opinion. I wonder if these artists really read or are just interested in tarot and decided to create a deck. Which is great too but then call it an oracle.
Some tarot artists don't really understand the tarot structure. For example, not long ago I saw a post by a popular artist who wasn't sure why there was a need for an Emperor and Empress when the deck had four kings and four queens. They were overlooking the fundamental distinction between the majors and minors.

I think it okay to change the names of the suits as long as they still clearly indicate the four classical elements: fire, water, air, earth. I'm really afraid that some artists are just riding the tarot wave as an outlet for their talents and originality. I am perfectly satisfied with the traditional titles and symbolism. It speaks to a deeper level of consciousness than mere superficial symbolism.

I think that there is a trend to force what is really an oracle deck into the tarot structure because it sells better.

ematuskey

Speaking for myself, I do it because the classic names don't fit the theme of the deck I'm working on. However, my intent isn't to change the elemental meaning of the suits--just their names.

danieljuk

I really like the change in the Halloween tarot. Okay it's a still a bit of a pain but at least they fit the elements: Bats for Air, Imps for Earth, Ghosts for Water and Pumpkins for Earth. But it'd the only deck where I liked the change and themes well :)

AJ

the halloween tarot was the final straw for me :)
On my blog I name the suits cups coins swords wands so when I do a search for a card they will all come up. I ignore the suit names if they are different

karen0205

In my opinion, if an artist is trying to promote a TAROT deck to the tarot community, to willy-nilly change the names of the suits just to suit the art is not considering the person who will use the deck in the end. (I have seen very few Thoth style decks so my comments are mainly towards the RWS style decks.) If just irks me because not every reader can ignore the names/titles. I think that tarot has become big business and there are artists who might dabble in tarot or they have a friend who suggests it as a way to make some money so they put a deck together and don't understand the meanings of the cards and how they relate to each other. They don't seem to do much research either. Even to have illustrations that somewhat fit the RWS system but them totally change the names. I find it frustrating. I think that it shows a lack of consideration for the reader. That leads me to think that the images probably don't really relate well either. Just my opinion again. :)

The other thing is that I would assume is that the point of making a deck is that the artist hopes people will actually use it. New readers and people who are just learning tarot will not pick up those decks so the artist is already limiting their audience. It almost shows that the artist really has no knowledge of tarot right from the get go. Some artists create a deck totally for themselves, that's not what I am referring to. I am referring to decks that are mass marketed. This is why I now wait for the decks to show more of the cards and suits so I can see what I am spending money on. I buy them to use so I really check now so I don't wind up with decks I can't use.

I recently picked one up, loved the artwork and found out they changed all the names of the cards/suits. I can't use the deck, it's distracting to be doing a spread and see similar cards to the RWS but then have different titles or keywords. I might trim everything off and just use it as an oracle. Otherwise I will trade it. These decks are not destined to be in the tarot community for a long time I guess.

-

karen0205

the halloween tarot was the final straw for me :)
On my blog I name the suits cups coins swords wands so when I do a search for a card they will all come up. I ignore the suit names if they are different

I am at that point after my recent purchase. From now on, I won't even bother.
You know, it's not like I have 1 deck and can learn it and then never worry about it again.
I rotate decks, use different ones for different reasons. I don't want to have to dig the
companion book out and review it before I can use the deck again.

Darkmage

The only decks I have where the suits have been changed are the Tarot of Baseball and the Halloween Tarot. While not full on spoof decks, I would almost classify them as parodies. They're definitely novelty decks. I rather like them. ;)

That having been said, no, if someone's trying to do a traditional Tarot without their tongue firmly planted in their cheek they should stick to the traditional meanings and suits. Tarot's been around for about 500 years and used for divination/fortunetelling for about half that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pretty much the only change in suits with the majority of my decks (like all but the aforementioned ones and maybe one or two more) is changing Pentacles to Coins/Deniers. That's just a different name for the same thing. Coins flows more easily off the tongue when doing a reading, too.

I don't see people trying to get so creative with playing card suits. I think card players would be in an uproar. With playing cards, it's usually all about the backs. Even my plastic Space Invaders deck(!) has the traditional red and black cards and suits, though the images are a bit different, obviously. My blue Dragon deck by Bicycle has the red suits printed in blue ink. This is a refreshing change and I wish they'd do it more often.

Still, though...that Steampunk deck with butterflies and beetles? No. *sigh*

Cenozoic

Even if you don't like the suit names, the artist did make 78 images for the entire deck. That's a lot of hard work and commitment. Even if the artist knows nil to nothing about reading tarot, doing that many images takes a lot of time and effort.

Luna-Ocean

I think some creator's feel the need to change the typical old suit names because it can get boring with just seeing lots of swords and wands etc? it's nice to be able to have a different take on some cards and i think its good to see modernized methods on using the suits and courts, i like the Halloween changes to its minors and i think its fun to be able to read seeing Bats and Pumpkins :D, i guess a beginner might not understand the main concept or the elements so much but at least the creator was not afraid to come up with something abit more different?