So Many Marseille Decks But No Books

Yves Le Marseillais

Minors or not minors is it the question ?

Hello,

Although I do agree on the reality that the TdM cards have no cartomantic meanings per se, there is indeed several traditions of meanings associated with each cards - young traditions but most of them older than the RWS meanings. Apart from Etteilla (and his followers such as "Tylbus" or "Madame Zezina")'s "mumbo jumbo", many books have associated all the numeral and court cards with meanings, to name a few authors from the early XXth century : Bourgeat, Méry, Marteau, etc... and you can find some more in the XIXth century.

Several modern French authors (of various qualities) also give interpration for the whole deck including the numeral and court cards : Jean-Marie Lhôte (in Dusserre's Dodal LWB), Corinne Morel, Alain Brethe, Claude Darche, etc...

What is certain is that those associations were listed (invented ?) long after the cards were created.

As Anubis pointed out in the beginning of this thread

At some point, I believe (as in "personal belief") that any reader is influenced by the existing "meanings" associated to the cards, that is why I personally prefer to read with decks that no author have critten about from a cartomantic point of view - by cartomancy I mean "psychic reading", "fortune telling", "sooth saying", "tarology", or whatever people do ... with cards, as there's a tendancy (in the French speaking world at least) that opposes "tarologie" ("scientific" cartomancy, psychology, etc...) to the use of tarot for "voyance" (fortune telling, clairvoyance, ESP, etc...), which to me is a single activity (doing stuffs with the tarot cards taking in account an invisible part of things, to broadly summarize).

Bertrand

Hello all,

I follows Bertrand on his views and comments and would just add that many use only Majors for their own spreads but you can also add Minors to your practice of spreads if you wish.

Up to you to decide or not.

Qu'importe le flacon pourvu que l'on ai l'ivresse....

Hum no so easy to translate in english but I suppose that some may find a good translation of this typical french sentence.

Salutations from Marseille City

YLM

tarot heart

Qu'importe le flacon pourvu que l'on ai l'ivresse....

Hum no so easy to translate in english but I suppose that some may find a good translation of this typical french sentence.

Yes, it's sort of means "It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all"
N'est-ce pas?

Yves Le Marseillais

Flask

Yes, it's sort of means "It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all"
N'est-ce pas?

Or:
That the flask matters if one have the drunkenness ?

Yves

auntie

Thank you Gregory for recommending Lee Bursten's book to me. Right after you posted I lucked into getting a copy of the book and deck set for $20 on ebay. The book is exactly what I was looking for and worth the price whether I end up using the deck or not. I think I'm going to have to get the Jean-Michel David book next. Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way that there's no point in buying an ebook if I ever want to refer to it easily again, so I'll probably have to spring for the hard copy.

whipsilk

Let me be an enabler for Jean-Michel David's book. It may seem expensive, but it is a HUGE volume (11.75x8.5 inches), with quality coated paper covers and 535 pages of beautifully written text and copious b&w illustrations. The margins are generous (for note-taking). The language is casual, informal - apparently the book was written in English. David knows his stuff, but he doesn't come across as a professional scholar talking down to you. I have to say, David has a superb command of the English language. I was expecting something much less grand, especially for a print-on-demand book. I can't tell you how pleased I am that I purchased the book. I admire Lee's book, but this is so much more...

The book does expect that you own the Flornoy restoration of the Noblet; it helps if you have other TdM decks, but it's not critical.

Richard

.......The book does expect that you own the Flornoy restoration of the Noblet; it helps if you have other TdM decks, but it's not critical.
Although the JMD book is based on the Flornoy Noblet, it takes into account variations within the range of decks loosely categorized as Marseille. In my experience it is not at all necessary to own the FN deck in order for the book to be useful. The importance of the Noblet lies mostly in its antiquity.

frelkins

No JMD ebook??

Ran over to Lulu to find JMD's e-book, but all I find is the hard copy. Am I missing the link? Please advise.

Ty!

Richard

Ran over to Lulu to find JMD's e-book, but all I find is the hard copy. Am I missing the link? Please advise.

Ty!
The Lulu format was extremely difficult to use. Maybe it was (deservedly) discontinued. Keep in mind that this is largely a historical commentary on the TdM images. It is not a book about divination as such. A more accurate title might be Understanding the Marseille Tarot rather than Reading the Marseille Tarot. It is not an easy read, and there may be more information than you really want (not all of it particularly pleasant). The description of the Hanged Man still makes me cringe when I think about it.

I really cannot recommend the original Lulu ebook, although it is better than nothing.

gregory

The Lulu business was just awful. In fact I paid and never managed to download the ****ing thing. My computer just HUNG overnight over and over again, and the thing stayed happily on lulu laughing at me :mad: If I had done, you can't print out a page to take to another room where you can sit with the cards and contemplate, or copy and paste, or even use it on more than one computer, I think. The issue seemed to be that you HAVE to use that NASTY reader software, which will only open up stuff you have paid for, as far as I can see.

I appealed to jmd and was supplied with a PROPER copy. I shall NEVER get ANYTHING from lulu again.