A 'deep' dark deck?..

Padma

Penthasilia, I agree - the Prague is pretty dark - and cold! Icy...and nowhere to hide from what it says. Darkest deck I own. I have to make an appointment with it before I want to use it, even, for goodness' sake! (And I wouldn't dare not!)

The Maroon is gorgeous! I love the pics.

Funny thing, though, that Daemon deck just made me kind of think of Brian Froud's
Faerie Oracle, for some reason! I think it was that last daemon portrayed, with his long legs and funny build. It's odd, the daemons are hard to take seriously - especially from the old woodcut illustrations. I have seen scarier Frank Frazetta illustrations. Or, come to that, My Little Pony pics.

:)

ETA Fairy Ring are pretty creepy...that deck - it is - "other" in my book... *shiver* but then, it IS an oracle deck. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/fairy-ring-oracle/

greatdane

The Maroon

I found it lovely and haunting and one of the best Fool cards EVER, but I gifted it to a good friend who wanted it. I liked it too much to sell it. But some of the cards made me feel a touch of vertigo. And there were a few cards I found kind of uninspiring. But some were beyond stunning. It is another world.

Tarotwolf

The Book of Kaos Tarot is a bit on the dark side and can still be found on e-bay fairly easily.
Diary of a Broken Soul also has a dark feel to it; however, it's going to be much harder to find. One thing to keep in mind though, we draw to ourselves that which we seek (tip of the day - always carry a flashlight when headed into the darkness.)

Le Fanu

How is your relationship with Wormwierd these days?
I love it. But it's very much one of the more forcedly - almost teen-shock - dark decks which the poster seemed to be avoiding. Otherwise I'd probably have suggested it... That one is definitely not "neutrally" dark!

dancing_moon

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! I've looked through all the decks mentioned, and I've fished several really nice decks...

The abyssal tarot is surreal underwater photography by Shelly corbett. Ok, yeah, it's pricy. It was my first deck, and I wasn't really looking for tarot, didn't know anything about it really, I just fell in love w/ this woman's work. However, once in my hands i was determined to learn. Wallah, a passion was born. The deck is quite erotic and has a lot of nudity; however, i believe it's still for sale and you can see all the cards on her sight before you buy. Just google 'abyssal' plus her name; also i remember diane wilkes gave a nice review of it on tarot passages.

Hope this helps,

Emily

Thanks, Emily! The deck is stunning - and yes, quite erotic. :)

How about the Ironwing Tarot?

To be honest, I don't see anything 'dark' about this one... Have you read with it? What are your impressions?

How about an Oracle? This deck has 69 cards
and I think it is stunning in a dark way...I wonder what the print says.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/daemon/

it is on preorder at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1454906243/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

oooo the temptation..

:D Actually, this Oracle gives me such a warm feeling... I'll be thinking of it. :)

There's nothing shallow about this one, and it is as dark as all get-out, even though it is not on the list of approved dark decks for the dark deck exchange circle.

This one is truly gorgeous. Ah, the list is growing... :D

I honestly think that the spookiest, unaffectedly dark tarot deck is the Etteilla Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames, published by LoS as the Book of Thoth Tarot. It is the basis for Deck of the Bastard (which I also love) but, whilst dark, the DOB has that mixture of RWS which makes the deck that bit more accessible. Hence the success. But the original feels like it is full of mystery and riddles and depth.

For me, this is the definitive sombre, sinister deck without having to go for fangs and dripping blood and the like.And if you want depth, Etteilla's system will keep you busy. Why oh why did the RWS drop the presence of a card called Chaos? Isn't that just the most wonderful card to have in a deck?

Another gorgeous deck... Thanks, it's definitely on the 'musing' list!

I find the Maroon tarot hauntingly beautiful! I would consider this a "dark" deck with depth.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/maroon/

I agree with most here- the themed "dark" decks with vampires and such tend not to work well for me. The Bohemian Gothic, the original "dark" deck, just strikes me as campy, not necessarily dark, and I just couldn't get into it. In reality, my much loved Tarot of Prague seems more dark to me than the BoGo.

The only other I look forward to that seems to have darkness and depth would be the Dark Goddess tarot coming out this month.

http://www.darkgoddesstarot.com/dark-goddess.htm

I love the look of the Maroon, although the borders look a bit... large-ish. Does it spoil the effect at all?

The Dark Goddess is definitely a good looker, and I imagine it would need some (extensive) reading on mythology...

Penthasilia, I agree - the Prague is pretty dark - and cold! Icy...and nowhere to hide from what it says. Darkest deck I own. I have to make an appointment with it before I want to use it, even, for goodness' sake! (And I wouldn't dare not!)

ETA Fairy Ring are pretty creepy...that deck - it is - "other" in my book... *shiver* but then, it IS an oracle deck. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/fairy-ring-oracle/

You know, the Prague gives me a cold feeling too. Maybe, that's why I haven't really thought of it, despite its undoubted beauty. :(

And the Fairy Ring IS creepy - but in a very natural way. :D Love the look of it.

The Book of Kaos Tarot is a bit on the dark side and can still be found on e-bay fairly easily.
Diary of a Broken Soul also has a dark feel to it; however, it's going to be much harder to find. One thing to keep in mind though, we draw to ourselves that which we seek (tip of the day - always carry a flashlight when headed into the darkness.)

These decks look great, but black-and-whites somehow never really touch me. :( I'm definitely a color person...

And thanks for the tip! Couldn't agree more (and the flashlight is ready and charged :D).

I love it. But it's very much one of the more forcedly - almost teen-shock - dark decks which the poster seemed to be avoiding. Otherwise I'd probably have suggested it... That one is definitely not "neutrally" dark!

Too true. Too many skulls to take it seriously. :(

Penthasilia

I love the look of the Maroon, although the borders look a bit... large-ish. Does it spoil the effect at all?

I usually hate borders- but on this deck they almost seem to act as a doorway, pulling you into the scene. To me- it doesn't spoil the affect at all, though to be fair others have said they wish the images were larger to see more detail. For me though, I have never had any problems. This is really a magical deck. Best cardstock of any tarot I have ever owned at any time as well.

The Dark Goddess is definitely a good looker, and I imagine it would need some (extensive) reading on mythology...

From the reviews, her LWB gives a nice blurb on all of them, plus she is coming out with a larger book after the deck release- just as an FYI. ;)

tarotbear

some dark humour ....

Singing from 'The Mikado':

"To sit in solemn silence with a deep dark deck ..."

Not exactly a musical phrase, Mr. Gilbert!:D

dancing_moon

I usually hate borders- but on this deck they almost seem to act as a doorway, pulling you into the scene. To me- it doesn't spoil the affect at all, though to be fair others have said they wish the images were larger to see more detail. For me though, I have never had any problems. This is really a magical deck. Best cardstock of any tarot I have ever owned at any time as well.

From the reviews, her LWB gives a nice blurb on all of them, plus she is coming out with a larger book after the deck release- just as an FYI. ;)

Sounds great, thank you. :)

Singing from 'The Mikado':

"To sit in solemn silence with a deep dark deck ..."

Not exactly a musical phrase, Mr. Gilbert!:D

:D :D :D

Padma

Dancing_Moon, if you want to try an auto-read with the Fairy Ring, it is on the Llewellyn site. If you cant find their reading bot, use the site map to find it - I would give you the link but I don't think we are allowed to post links here...? It would give you a better idea of having a reading done with it. Heads up, the messages can be pretty harsh! :p Good luck in your search, I hope you find the perfect dark deck for you :)

dancing_moon

Dancing_Moon, if you want to try an auto-read with the Fairy Ring, it is on the Llewellyn site. If you cant find their reading bot, use the site map to find it - I would give you the link but I don't think we are allowed to post links here...? It would give you a better idea of having a reading done with it. Heads up, the messages can be pretty harsh! :p Good luck in your search, I hope you find the perfect dark deck for you :)

Thanks for the information, I've found it.

That's really enchanting... not really dark, but close. :) Thanks so much!