Tarot and the Magus

archer1

I am considering a purchase of this book, does anyone have it and can someone perhaps give me some insight into the book. Is it worth the 30 bucks give or take in the price?

Aeon418

I own a copy of that book, but I can't really give you an honest opinion of it because I never finished it. I tried to read it about two years ago, but haven't been back to it since.

From what I remember the book mostly deals with the authors unique spin on the "Opening of the Key Spread". I think I lost interest in it because the author uses reversals with the Thoth deck and I don't.

I would be happy to blow the dust off and have a dig through it if you have any specific questions? :)

archer1

Thanks for the info....I don't use reversals either but am very interested in the opening of the key spread. That is my main interest....

Aeon418

That's the problem really. The author, Paul Huges-Barlow, originally intended to write a book about the Opening of the Key spread, but somewhere along the line it transformed into something else altogether. It's all explained in the introduction.

His method is certainly based on the Opening of the Key with it's long strings of cards, but his pairing method is a little odd. He uses both elemental dignities and reversals at the same time! Using one or the other is fine, but to use both at the same time seems like overkill to me.

It's also most definitely not a beginners Tarot book. There's some fairly heavy material in there which is given the authors own spin, such as his unique use of Liber 231 LIBER ARCANORUM.

magician

Tarot and the Magus

Hi everyone
I been reading Paul Huges Site for a long time.I feel that he is surely one of the most enlightened ones on the subject of tarrot. Agreed that his theory is difficult to grasp and many of you may not get it.But lets not forget that everyone has his own way of reading the cards.His site is great for the serious readers.It will help you to understand the meaning better and develop your own style.
So go ahead and give it a shot....
Magician