What is the meaning of the extra card?

Lillie

ravenest said:
Hang on, I've just realised ... I've made a terrible mistake here ... it's my head which is upside down, not the card.

If your nose is upside down and you go out in the rain, you'll drown.

So be careful.

chriske

Upside down

Love the comments about the reversed Uni Hex! Some old decks also have the Ace of Disks printed upside down too.

Nice idea to use an extra major - it's a bit of fun I guess, like calling the 3 Magus cards "the 3 wise men". Tends to upset the purists though. Still, it's an interesting take on the world of printing.

crystal dawn

so if not all decks contain this card which ones do?

chriske

Decks with UH card

Just checked the following large size decks:

Latest AGMuller in blue box - rainbow UH card.
Latest Weiser in green box - rainbow UH card.
Latest US Games in green box - rainbow UH card.
All these 3 printings are based on AGM 1996 design.

Not in AGMuller 1986 blue box - 80 cards contain 2 extra Magus cards

1983 - US Games white box - red UH on black background card plus blank card.
1978 - US Games white box - red UH on black background card plus OTO card.
1970 - 1977 Weiser & Llewellyn white boxes - No UH card. OTO card.

I shall look at the small decks tomorrow.

Berbatov

Ligator said:
But what did Crowley say? Did he think that there should be one extra "blank" card in his tarot?

/T
What he said was "The Tarot is a pack of 78 cards".

Berb

ravenest

Ehhh?

Ligator said:
But what did Crowley say? Did he think that there should be one extra "blank" card in his tarot?

/T
Blank? I thought we were talking about the hexagram card ????

The blank one ... dont start me on that Lillie!

Ligator

Blank... Well, I meant hexagramcard. But I take the meaning of it to be "blank" in one sense. That something important will happen but that it should not be looked into for one resason or the other.

/T

crystal dawn

Thanks chriske

I got my first thoth deck today the one in the big green box, the borders are grey and it does have the extra UH card - yay.

Thanks again

blessings

crystal dawn

crystal dawn

crystal dawn said:
Thanks chriske

I got my first thoth deck today the one in the big green box, the borders are grey and it does have the extra UH card - yay.

Thanks again

blessings

crystal dawn

ps deck also includes OTO card

chriske

OTO cards and oddities

You are very welcome Crystal Dawn. The OTO cards are also with the 1996 printings of course, sorry I omitted to mention. I am still working my way through the small decks just for completeness.

The OTO cards are very interesting as over the years they reflect the changes in the company (names and addresses etc.). Sometimes these extra cards were removed when they were put in bigger sets with books (like Mirror of The Soul). I understand that the printings are in 8 x 10 sheets (hence 80 cards) but I have also been told that some sheets were printed 9 x 9, which might explain 81 card oddities.

I hope you enjoy your experience with the Thoth. They really are the most beautiful Tarot cards that I have ever seen.