Do you grow your own Herbs?

Dancing Bear

Does anyone know how long it takes echinacea to bloom?
apparently it is the flower that is good for cold and flu.

canid

Dancing Bear said:
Does anyone know how long it takes echinacea to bloom?
apparently it is the flower that is good for cold and flu.

Middle of summer here in Ohio - they'd be flowering by now, or just getting ready to open up. They're usually planted in early May after last frost so, 1.5 to 2 months. But maybe your climate/sun would be different?

flying black kat

Dancing Bear and canid, my echinacea, or purple coneflower, is already in bloom. They started to bloom early this year as well as the chives. I live in PA about 2 - 3 hours from Philadelphia north and west. These are so easy to get to grow continually all summer long. They reseed themselves all the time. I do help them along by making sure I sprinkle some of the seeds in the currently growning containers and will take some and put them in other containers as well. I also plant marigolds, there are so many varries, colors and heights, around the plants. Most bugs don't like them either, and they are easy to reseed, year after year. The benefits of using whole garlic cloves is that they will grow and you can usually harvest them in about a year to a year and 1/2. I had trouble with japanese beetles one year. I went out and bought the traps etc. I got more beetles and no releif. Then I read in a article about roses to do away with the traps and use the methods you mentioned here. I also found that pulling them off and stepping on them got rid of them fast.

I am unable to grow this year as I am getting ready to down size to a smaller place and property. I would rather stay and adapt.

Be at Peace and happy gardening. You can always can or freeze excess tomotoes.

Kathy

canid

Yeah, I can, freeze & dry stuff every year - I love doing that, makes me feel like a pioneer. I've got marigolds everywhere too, & garlic & shallots in & amongst my garden veggies. It's not been a big pest year here in Ohio, thank God, because I just can't smash something, I just can't bring myself to do it, whether it's a Japanese beetle or a gorgeously grotesque tomato worm.

flying black kat

Canid:

I can relate to not wanting to hurt the little buggers. I got to the point that I just put them in jars or ziplock storage bags and put them in the trash. That way they had a fighting chance once they were gone from my house.

They drove my dog nuts and the cats started to chase and catch them. Needless to say I have not had them visiting in 2 or 3 years. And they are not missed.

Good Luck. I do a lot of container gardening now. It is some times easier to maintaine and I get exactly what I need and know will eat. Peppers, tomotoes, lettucies, herbs, flowers, etc grow nice in containers. The added benefit is that I can take them into my side room and they will live for most of the winter and keep producing for a while.

Enjoy and have a great bug free day.

Kathy

Dancing Bear

Thanks Canid and FBKat
I think i have my echinacea in the wrong pot..
I am thinking of upgrading to a larger pot so it can spread its wings..
I live in the tropics, so we are warm weather all year round, but warmer in the november to march months, when its wet season. so maybe i will have to be patient til then.

I have just planted more stuff today.. Chives went in, spring onions, Carrots, Tress tomatoes, and cress.
The kids are getting involved in a big way, which is so nice to see.. they are learning how to sow seeds and how to harvest all the bits we have.

canid

Dancing Bear said:
Thanks Canid and FBKat
I think i have my echinacea in the wrong pot..
I am thinking of upgrading to a larger pot so it can spread its wings..
I live in the tropics, so we are warm weather all year round, but warmer in the november to march months, when its wet season. so maybe i will have to be patient til then.

I have just planted more stuff today.. Chives went in, spring onions, Carrots, Tress tomatoes, and cress.
The kids are getting involved in a big way, which is so nice to see.. they are learning how to sow seeds and how to harvest all the bits we have.

I have to ask. What's a tress tomato? And are those upside-down tomato thingies popular there? Personally, I think it's just a fad.

Isn't it fun teaching kids how things grow & about wild edibles?

canid

flying black kat said:
Canid:

I can relate to not wanting to hurt the little buggers. I got to the point that I just put them in jars or ziplock storage bags and put them in the trash. That way they had a fighting chance once they were gone from my house.

They drove my dog nuts and the cats started to chase and catch them. Needless to say I have not had them visiting in 2 or 3 years. And they are not missed.

Good Luck. I do a lot of container gardening now. It is some times easier to maintaine and I get exactly what I need and know will eat. Peppers, tomotoes, lettucies, herbs, flowers, etc grow nice in containers. The added benefit is that I can take them into my side room and they will live for most of the winter and keep producing for a while.

Enjoy and have a great bug free day.

Kathy

But, but, then they just smother & die slowly! Eww!

I brought my green pepper in last winter, for the 1st time! I had li'l peppers all winter...

Dancing Bear

canid said:
I have to ask. What's a tress tomato? And are those upside-down tomato thingies popular there? Personally, I think it's just a fad.

Isn't it fun teaching kids how things grow & about wild edibles?

LOL! No not an upside down tomato thingy LOL!
Its just like a cherry tomato and grows rambly like like a cherry tomato.
But it is all joined together on one stem.

You have one thick stem running down the middle with little stems branching off with the fruit attached.. Instead of clumps at random.

Yes the kids run out each morning to check on the progress of their plantings, its so cool!!

A bit like this image but they are little cherry tomatoes.

Attachments

• Tomatoes.jpg
    Tomatoes.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 60

canid

Dancing Bear said:
LOL! No not an upside down tomato thingy LOL!
Its just like a cherry tomato and grows rambly like like a cherry tomato.
But it is all joined together on one stem.

You have one thick stem running down the middle with little stems branching off with the fruit attached.. Instead of clumps at random.

Yes the kids run out each morning to check on the progress of their plantings, its so cool!!

A bit like this image but they are little cherry tomatoes.

Oh, VINE tomatoes! That's what they're called here. They're awesome, aren't they?