Tea Leaf Readings

GoldenGirl

About 2 years ago I had my tea leaves read in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My Aunt, cousin, my mother and I all went and had this done. I decided I would go last cause for some reason I was a little nervous. It was my turn and she saw some strange things in there, like 3 buses and a golden seal and such, but her interpretation was great. Anyways, everything she said came true within the time frames she predicted(which was a year)!! Detailed events like me going on to tour with a drum corps ( we tour with 3 buses). Anyways, there is no one in my area that does them and I guess that place in Winnipeg doesn't do them anymore either. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this?? I would be very interested to hear you stories and thoughts on it for I know little of it's history or anything really!! thanx :)

Jimilyn

GoldenGirl,

I wish I knew of a place I could have tea leaves read. I've never had any read for me, although I've always thought it would be pretty neat.

I saw a little book about reading tea leaves at Barnes and Noble, but don't remember the name of it. Are there any Oriental markets in Winnipeg? If so, perhaps someone who works there may know of a place you could get a tea leaf reading.

Jimilyn

Yarnie

I 've never had tea leaves read, but recently found out through my genealogical research that my ggg-grandmother read coffee grounds.

MeeWah

Tea-leaf reading is thought to have originated in ancient China. The pattern left behind by tealeaves was examined for signs & omens. The practice spread after tea was imported to the Western world, particularly in Europe.
There are traditional meanings credited to various shapes, but imagination & intuition are what are needed.
I've done a few tea-leaf readings upon request. Each time I "winged" it, not having a source of reference.
The first person I read for was memorable because she was my junior high school English teacher. She knew I did card readings but wanted a tea-leaf reading. I was dubious, but she said if I could read cards (a regular deck of playing cards at the time), then I should be able to read tea leaves. Since I had great regard for her I went along with it. She was amazed at the results--I was very young & knew little of man-woman relationships, but I told her what I saw.
The mechanics or ritual involved varies according to the reader as most of the divinatory arts, but there are some basics that are followed:
A teacup of the traditional shape (bowl-shaped) with a handle, set atop a saucer.
A spoon.
Loose tea. (I prefer black tea for the variety of shapes of its tealeaves.)
Boiling water.
The tea cup must have a bowl-shaped bottom & a handle. The shape is so the tea leaves may meander freely & also stick to the sides. (Those cups or mugs shaped otherwise do not lend themselves to this.) The handle is used as a reference point, where the readng begins.
The amount of loose tea recommended is a pinch or a half teaspoon. Too little will not produce results & too much will result in tea clumping together. The loose tea is placed in the cup by either the querent (the idea is for the querent to impart his energy to the tea) or the reader. Boiling water is then poured into the cup & the tea is permitted to brew in front of the querent. The querent focusses on the question or matter & may also stir the tea. When the tea is sufficiently cooled to drink, the tea is drunk until about a tablespoon is left in the cup. The physical contact of the querent is important so the cup should remain in the possession of the querent throughout the proceedings.
The querent then swirls the cup three times & immediately turn the cup upside down onto the saucer. Let the remaining liquid drain, & the querent turns the cup right-side up. The pattern of leaves in the cup are read, & some also read the pattern of leaves in the saucer, if any.

Kimon

Hi GoldenGirl,

if you cannot find anyone reading tea, than go for the coffee. :) Its the same and here in Europe practically every third older greek, romanian, bulgarian or turkish person is able to do it quite well. They are no readers, but if you ask around you will certainly find someone who is good at it and willing to read for you. Go with your heart. What you look for is not so rare you think, you just have to choose the person you feel good with.
By the way, there are "tea leaves fortune cards" which you get get via Amazon, which are quite good; around 200 basic symbols.
Greetings,
Kimon

Lunalicious

I remember getting a reading in Calgary a while back. The experience kinda tarnished my thoughts on tea leaf readings beacause it seemed to predict a little of everything, which meant mostly nothing... Maybe it was the reader, but I'd try it again.

jade

i read tea leaves for anyone who's interested when we go for sushi! the place that we go to uses loose green tea leaves for their tea. at the end of the meal i just look into their cups without moving them if possible after they last set them down.

i just use my intuition and read the leaves. for example: when i last did my girlfriend's leaves i saw on large leaf floating on the top of the water and i knew it was her...as it slowly sank to the bottom i knew that it was referring to "the water is most turbulent on the surface, if you allow yourself to go below the surface, then things get calm" then i saw three small leaves, all sep. one behind the 'boat' one beside and one in front. i knew that she was only half way thru the difficult time (marriage breakup) she was going thru and that if she just relaxed and let the Goddess lead her that her journey would be easier.

there was more but that was the jest of it.

it's easy to do, just stare (scry) into the cup and see what your little voice tells you, then without thinking just say it.....you'll be surprised at what comes out.

blessed be.
jade

Aviva1976

I do tea leaf readings too not very often but when I do it always makes sense. It so easy to do just takes work and open minded to see the shapes. I would love to do one for someone soon.