Working on a recreation of the Mamluk cards

trzes

True, there are cheaper options. But I actually like to have an excuse for procrastinating the decision about the flowers.

eltarot78

and study and enjoy the perfection of symmetry, it seems perfect

enjoy the creative process
I think that's the main
the enjoy :)

earthair

Bumping to top to find out how the project is going?! :cool2:

trzes

Thanks for your interest in my little project :)

Well, I had started again working on it for a couple of month recently but then other stuff like managing daily life took up more time again.

What I have achieved so far is the suits of coins, cups and polo-sticks, all without flower patterns, polo-sticks also are uncoloured yet. There are some basic outlines for the suit of swords too, but I'll have to redo it all I guess. All in all I think I did roughly 60% of the work necessary to satisfy myself. Having started almost two years ago I guess that with some luck I might finish the deck around Christmas 2016, taken that I won't be distracted by other nice ideas and projects piling up behind the mamluk cards :D

The Happy Squirrel

I am keeping my eye on this and look forward to updates :)

blue_fusion

Thanks for your interest in my little project :)

Well, I had started again working on it for a couple of month recently but then other stuff like managing daily life took up more time again.

What I have achieved so far is the suits of coins, cups and polo-sticks, all without flower patterns, polo-sticks also are uncoloured yet. There are some basic outlines for the suit of swords too, but I'll have to redo it all I guess. All in all I think I did roughly 60% of the work necessary to satisfy myself. Having started almost two years ago I guess that with some luck I might finish the deck around Christmas 2016, taken that I won't be distracted by other nice ideas and projects piling up behind the mamluk cards :D

I'm glad to know that you're still working on this deck. :) Really nice, clear rendition of the cards.

trzes

I recently made some progress with my mamluk reconstruction project. Here are four sample cards: 5 of swords, Kiing of cups, 8 of coins, 2nd deputy of polo sticks.

I seriously consider now to leave out the flower patterns entirely. They are so busy that the visual impression is just overflow and the suit symbols can hardly be recognized.

And I still don't know what to do with the extra space on the top bit of the court cards. Names in Arabic? Random poems in German? Some geometric pattern? The top area of all the existing court cards are covered with blue paint which has been added later. Altough some of it has come off, it is hard to tell what the center of the top bits looked like originally.

Attachments

• MamlukExampleCards.jpg
    MamlukExampleCards.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 214
  • BLue paint on the court cards.jpg
    BLue paint on the court cards.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 207

earthair

Extremely gorgeous :thumbsup:

Random poetry in German using an Arabic looking font?
Or one poem line by line, or word by word, disguised, making the words look like a pattern?

dancing_moon

Wow, trzes, those are beautiful. :thumbsup: Personally, I'd vote for including the flower patterns (if there's a voting going on, that is :D). They add immensely to the luxurious look of the cards and the Eastern 'flavor' of the images, and I'm prepared to spend that extra time to admire the patterns and to count the suit symbols, it's well worth it. :) Because without them, it'll be just pips on the plain background, and there are already many decks that do this. IMHO, this isn't one of the 'easy-to-use' decks, and it needn't be made into one. I'd let all the challenges stay.

In the same vein, Arabic names of the cards at the top would be fabulous. I also like earthair's idea, though I'd personally prefer something closer to the 'source', so to speak.

Great job, trzes! Much inspiration to you to continue. :)