The Jean Dodal deck: High resolution scans

conversus

I prefer the deeper colours at the top.

CED

Moonbow

eltarot78, thanks for keeping us posted with this deck. I prefer the deeper colours at the top too, particularly the green which is a little too washed out in the bottom image.

uwe

I have only been aware of this thread since yesterday. First and foremost, congratulations to eltarot78 for doing such a stellar job, i simply love his work. I love the Dodal.

I am of the same opinion as prudence. I also prefer the earthiness of the bottom image. Mind you, i always preferred the colours of the Hadar to the Camoin. The TdM is an ancient deck and to me, to keep the colours muted and more sedate, is more in keeping with their history. I also think it makes for a better reading experience.

eltarot78

Hello to all, who are divided and opinions that are valid.

The colors of the 1st version, a friend who accompanied me to lectures during my restoration, I was realizing that the palette used in higher version is very similar to that used by Picasso in Las Meninas, colors and objects charge personality and the limits are well marked. http://search.it.online.fr/covers/wp-content/pablo-picasso-las-meninas.jpg

It carries out trials of the 1st printing and are very good, is nice, this Tuesday (tomorrow is a holiday) proves to print the 2nd version (which, while not exactly historic colors, approach and recreate a lot, besides that I think reads quite well).

Thank you very much for his opinions, which I do on my own, the end of the day we all lovers of TDM who have the opportunity to read the original Dodal.

Yves Le Marseillais

Colors choosen

Moonbow* said:
eltarot78, thanks for keeping us posted with this deck. I prefer the deeper colours at the top too, particularly the green which is a little too washed out in the bottom image.

Hello Moonbow and ElTarot 78 and all involved,

I too vote for the strong colors of your initial choice (the Top suggestion).

If you use a printer like Canon or Epson or H.P (the three big stars of printing matters), please use same trade mark for ALL components: Printer, Cartridge, Paper.
And don't mix them together.

About colors of Hadar or Camoin/Jodo deck, I prefer Camoin/Jodo for various reasons BUT his colors are not perfect and could be improoved.
Use saturate colors (including Black too).

Like Flornoy, I think that we don't have to copy the Past decks but produce decks with vivid colors like they were in 1700 when decks was painted and freshly isued to customers and players.

Just imagine that colors you will choose for your deck must last for centurys.

Green color is either deep green or light green regarding his Position on card: We are in Symbolism....
Same for Deeep Blue or Light Blue.

Bon courage,

Yves Le Marseillais

eltarot78

Colors changed when printed
Yves Le Marseilla said:
Hello Eltarot,

When I printed your card Le Bateleur, strangely colors changed and green becamed ...blue, yellow becamed... pink.
Why ?

About La pances, what do you means by exquisite detail found ?
Partly hidden hand ?
Belly ????
Lines on book ?
Other things...

Otherwise, your deck is pleasant and sound fresh and new.

We will compare with next month coming soon Jean Claude Flornoy Dodal's industrial full deck version.

Anyway I do agree with your choice to locate colors only inside black lines and erasing all blinding off.

All Historical Tarot decks deserves modern restoration.
And I do choose Tarot de marseille Pattern of course: THE Real Thing finaly..

YLM

05-09-2009 you had told me this, showing his distaste for the palette chosen.

Today tells me.

Yves Le Marseilla said:
Hello Moonbow and ElTarot 78 and all involved,

I too vote for the strong colors of your initial choice (the Top suggestion).

If you use a printer like Canon or Epson or H.P (the three big stars of printing matters), please use same trade mark for ALL components: Printer, Cartridge, Paper.
And don't mix them together.

About colors of Hadar or Camoin/Jodo deck, I prefer Camoin/Jodo for various reasons BUT his colors are not perfect and could be improoved.
Use saturate colors (including Black too).

Like Flornoy, I think that we don't have to copy the Past decks but produce decks with vivid colors like they were in 1700 when decks was painted and freshly isued to customers and players.

Just imagine that colors you will choose for your deck must last for centurys.

Green color is either deep green or light green regarding his Position on card: We are in Symbolism....
Same for Deeep Blue or Light Blue.

Bon courage,

Yves Le Marseillais

Then it was so wrong with the original color choice.

:) Yes, I really think the idea is to see the cards, but that they were, as might be seen at the time when the paint was still fresh :)

Yves thank you very much, really appreciate your suggestions and your opinion.

Gracias, amigo.

Yves Le Marseillais

Colors comments

eltarot78 said:
Colors changed when printed

05-09-2009 you had told me this, showing his distaste for the palette chosen.

Today tells me.

Then it was so wrong with the original color choice.

:) Yes, I really think the idea is to see the cards, but that they were, as might be seen at the time when the paint was still fresh :)

Yves thank you very much, really appreciate your suggestions and your opinion.

Gracias, amigo.

Hello ElTarot,

I never changed my opinion: I do like your colors.
I just wanted to say you on early september that when I printed what you showed us, my printer did not printed colors as per my screen.

I wait like many amatores your deck.

Gracias y salute,

Yves

SolSionnach

Frankly, if I was going to buy a restoration, it would be this one.
After studying Flornoy's trumps, to me the expressions of the cards are *very* different, not to mention the lettering - what a hideous font he chose!

Looking forward to this restoration, eltarot78! It looks lovely. :)

Le Fanu

SolSionnach said:
what a hideous font he chose!
It looks rather Art Deco, strangely 20th Century...

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
It looks rather Art Deco, strangely 20th Century...
I know... it really bothers me. I'm not bothered by the Noblet's font, though.

Frankly, I think that the Flornoy Dodal is a miss. :( Unfortunately.

eltarot, I like the softer colors, for what it's worth. But the deeper colors are nice, too. :)