"School For Beginners"

Empath111

Just popping in to say I'm slow and just found the thread. Lol. However, I am glad I'm here. Intrigued and very thankful:)

metatron3

I'm much like janie : It never occurred to me to cleanse a deck nor have a sacred space : should it be a clothe or a place at home.
Mostly because taking more than 10 minutes at home without being disturbed isn't possible ;)
It is a really busy house when someone is always needing something and asking someone else where it is ... if not asking simply "what are you doin' ?" in a lovely tone. Full of love, but love do take all your time ;)

Still ! For this first day of class I took my only deck ( LoS French Cartomancy ) and will follow me all week. I do like the idea of seeing cards like friends ... and I like to know my friends. ( do I sound like a stalker ? )

For some unknown reason I was drawn to Lenormand. Probably because I am the kind who likes practical answers more than often and Tarot give me more direction to follow, not : "you'll get a letter, won't be fun" which sometimes, is what I'm looking for and all the deep informations you can get from those 36 cards.

Anyway ! This class is starting right in time since I've started meditation a week ago so I'm getting a bit used it and it does help me to center. A new concept for me ;)

Hehehe : totally newbie ^_^

LadyZelda

Pity! I missed your visit Empath and Metatron! I don't have much time left but I would like to add a bit more....

I'm gonna ask our moderators if they could make a sticky out of our "School For Beginners" like they offered us. That would probably help everyone find our classroom ;)

Metatron you are not the only one with finding it difficult to retire on your own, Janie mentioned it too...This is not easy to advice on, but I will say maybe to use the quieter room in your house, if need be your bedroom. Try to bring a portable table unless you have a vanity table in your bedroom, otherwise only the floor will be left which for some people is not too comfortable. At all cost I would not use the bed, but this is my opinion. The idea of a "sacred place" is really a room because you need to be one with the Oracle. You can't be focused and all ears if there is noise, family members talking etc...Sometimes, the best is to work out a certain time when others are busy doing their own things. And also just frankly asking to "please do not disturb me until I get out of this room, I need a little time on my own". It has always worked for me...but every household is different. For sure, I would lose my "visions" if someone would suddenly come up and start to talk...It happened once and it broke the flow. Also, I have learned to silence my phone for the time I'm reading the Oracle or Tarot. I estimate that it is OK, as it is not like I'm shutting myself for a whole day...But again; it depends on everyone's life, what work for me might not work for you. The reading cloth is really just for the cards, to keep the energy neutral, not to have interferences, but in itself will not bring the focus needed if you have a people chatting around you.
Meditation is a great + and will help a lot!:)

Tomorrow, I will post about the 3rd part of our first lesson: "The Grouping Of The Cards". I was hoping to do so tonight so you all who live in Europe would have had that to munch on while I'm still sleeping ;) but we watched Indiana Jones tonight and now it is a bit too late...

So I bid you good night! :D and hope to see you tomorrow!

MoiraKarin

Divination: I personally see definition through tarot or oracle deck such as specific as the lenormand deck as communication with your ‘ higher self’ or higher consciousness. I think such a communication succeeds or fail as depending on what energy we all align ourselves with. Cards are just ways as to bring forth energy from higher source. Cards is energy in form just as any other object is. It is not the form which matters but what meaning we give to the presented form in the way we gave it meaning. Consistency with focus to the meaning you give to the card sequence is important…

I am convinced that it does not matter whether these these specific symbols, are printed on plastic cards, pixel images from computer programs or painted on gold, or curved in stone
If you bring down all the means you give it form, every chosen form originate from the same source of energy(light , higher divine intelligent light)
This is the way I perceive it, anyway. I just seem them as ways of bringing images into existence through our subconscious connected with our higher consciousness.

I am now currently working with the Novobrisk,- hedewitch and the mystical lenormand .
I would love to get my hands on the Melissa lenormand or the magischer Lenormand

I do not pay much attention to card cleansing although I do have
incense I have a sort of white table cloth as well . I have a ‘token’ which I like to see as a presentation of presence of higher source.
A art deco colour stained glass owl. This owl is really awesome. . I try to prepare myself the best way possible. Maintaining a fresh cleansed spirit who is calm, ready to focus and to be as non-judge mental as I can be . I really want to learn the cards to speak to me. I tried to be ‘open minded ‘ all the way for all possible options.

I like to be able to focus with as less distraction possible.

I like to be comfortable during reading, taking care of myself, the best way possible. I prefere reading in the evening night or early mornings

LaLaBella

Divination-My attitude about divination is based on being raised by a woman who has spent her entire life thinking that she is a "Mystic" (her term, not mine) and never quite getting there. Anyway, I think that everyone has one or a laundry list of spiritual gifts and for some of us, divination is one of the gifts. Lenormand is one of the ways that I hope to access that gift if I possess it.

Neutralizing/Cleansing-I've never given this any thought. I suppose I should have but there you have it. I do look at all the cards. Kind of like a getting to know you thing but anything involving crystals, candles or incense hasn't happened.

Preparing to Read-First of all, there's only 2 places in the house where I can get the privacy to work with the cards. The first is the laundry room and the other is the weight room in the basement. I usually use the weight room and even then, I still get interrupted unless no one is home. This is rare. I learned early in my childhood how to put a barrier between me and the outside world. Then it's just a matter of centering myself which is more of a challenge. I need an off-switch for my brain.
I have a cloth to read on but I think that I need something bigger. Also a notebook to write the reading on. I also deal the cards face down and turn over what I'm reading as I'm reading it because otherwise it becomes information overload.

This is it for now.
Lady Zelda, why is reading on the bed bad? Just curious.

LadyZelda

Divination-
Lady Zelda, why is reading on the bed bad? Just curious.

It is all about energy being released. It is I will say like a concept of Feng Shui where certain place must remain in a certain way. When you read cards energies will be produce (at least according to my belief), if you read on your bed these energies will spread and remain on your bed (unless you go into cleansing your bed). These energies might be very positive because the reading was all about wonderful news, but it can be also not so good and some negative energy will be the results, even if we are able to "swallow" accept the bad news, in my opinion it still create some negative energies because it was not pleasant and it is but "human" to react to something unpleasant to some extent. Your bed is supposed to be as a peaceful place as possible. Your night is supposed to give you the rest you need to face another day. You don't want any negative energy that could disturb your sleep in any ways. So I never read cards on my bed, I know others don't either. Some say "it's bad luck, it brings bad stuff in your life", I don't know about that, it is part of the folklore built upon superstitions...But, I also abide by a simple rule "better be safe than sorry". Knowing that some nights are not so peaceful, I have to say that I am among those who believe in placing an amethyst cluster on my bed and live it there few hours when I sense the need of a good cleansing. Amethyst is a gemstone that is a true gift from the Goddess and the God. It absorbs negative energies, fear, worries like a sponge and does restore the "balance"....At least this is what I believe and practice.

If you have more questions always feel free to ask :D

MoiraKarin, I love the idea of an "owl" deco and yeah, that must be such a site to behold!

Thank you all for sharing your views and ways... :) It is very interesting ;)

LadyZelda

Grouping the Cards

GROUPING Of CARDS BY SIMILARITY - Summary of Colette Sylvestre method:

1- News – changes – movement
The Rider
The Ship
The Birds
The Storks
The Letter

2- Feelings of happiness - tenderness – harmony:
The Star
The Flowers
The Garden
The Lily

3- Luck – fate – opportunities:
The Clover
The Key

4 – Friendship – Love – harmonious relationships
The Dog
The Heart
The Ring
The Sun

5- Strength – Stability – Safety – Success
The Bear
The Tower
The Sun
The Anchor

6- Protection – Peace – Calm
The House
The Tree
The Book

7- Imagination – fame – intuition
The Moon
The Fish

8- Temporary problems – Road blocks – Doubts
The Clouds
The Mountain
The Path

9- Treason – Manipulation – theft
The Snake
The Fox
The Mice

10- Separation – Ends – Conflicts – Sorrows
The Coffin
The Scythe
The Whip
The Cross

CLASSIFICATION OF CARDS (Summary of Iris Treppner’s method)

1- Communication:

The Rider
The Whip
The Birds
The Letter

2- People cards:

Most used:
The Lord
The Lady
The Child
The Rider
The Snake
The Bear
The Dog
The Lily

The court cards found in the cartomancy insert like “the King of hearts/The house” card. Among them the most predominant are:

The Queen of Clubs/The Snake
The Jack of Clubs/The Child
The King of Spades/The Lily
(see Treppner’s Course for details about each card – if you don’t have it ask me)

3- Object Cards relate to material things:

The Rider
The Ship
The House
The Flowers
The Bear
The Tower
The Fish
The Anchor

Thematic Cards relate to archetypes like “house = family”

The Clover
The Tree
The Clouds
The Snake
The Coffin
The Scythe
The Whip
The Birds
The Child
The Fox
The Stars
The Storks
The Dog
The Garden
The Mountain (also an object card)
The Paths
The Mice
The Heart
The Ring (also an object card)
The Book (also an object card)
The Letter
The Lily
The Sun
The Moon
The Key
The Cross

4- Positive – Negative – Mixed cards

a) Positve:

The Rider
The Clover
The Ship
The House
The Flowers
The Child
The Bear
The Stars
The Storks
The Dog
The Tower
The Garden
The Paths
The Heart
The Ring
The Book
The Letter
The Lord
The Lady
The Lily
The Sun
The Moon
The Key
The Fish
The Anchor

b) Negative cards:

The Clouds
The Coffin
The Scythe
The Fox
The Mountain
The Mice
The Cross

c) Mixed positive/negative cards:

The Tree
The Snake
The Whip
The Birds

My views on certain cards:

a) Among the “Positive cards” that at times can have some negativity

-The tower: For example it can talk about isolation, depression, being “locked up” being trapped, waiting room that can create stress

-The Bear: Can be a powerful opponent not easily dealt with

-The Moon: unrealistic fears, unstability

b) Among the “Negative cards” that depending of their position or point of view can have some positivity:

- The Clouds: if you are on the white side of the clouds it means for me that things are either clearing up or it won’t be much trouble, just little annoyances

- The Coffin: sometimes an end is a blessing and also the end can be seen as a new beginning

- The Scythe: if the sharp edge point away then things are not so bad. Also as I have a working farm, I cannot help but see the “harvest” side of the Scythe…which is when “the party begins!”

- The Fox: Well for me fox can be also considered as wise, they know how to turn the tables around to win, they know how to get what they need, they are practical and sometimes in life you better be like the fox and be witty enough to find ways (they don’t have to be crooked ones) to fix your situation or you won’t survive.

- Mountain: if it is behind you, that mean you have overcome and can move on

- Cross: Can be going into deeper level of spirituality

Iris Treppner give another interesting list:

1- The 2 Negative cards that neutralize the negative cards next to them:

-The Mice & The Scythe (Sharp edge toward next card):

Destroy the effect of: The Scythe, The Mice, The Coffin, the Clouds, the Mountain, the Cross, the Fox

2- Two negative cards:

Except for the Mice and Scythe, negative cards following each other reinforce the negativity.

3- Negative cards will “spoil” positive cards:

The beneficial effect of any positive card will be destroyed by a negative card. For instance, in my opinion if the Flowers are followed by the Coffin, that means the end of happiness or even a funeral

I will end this post there and let you share your views. Also just in case I’m unable to come back later on I would like to talk about our next class.

-Do you want us to study 2 or more cards and discuss about them during our next class?
-Do you want that beside the study of 2 or more cards, we start learning about 1 layout?

I will open today the “Cards' Meaning & Combination" thread and post the “Grouping of the cards” list to keep as a reference. Once we discuss the meaning of cards I will add them as we go. :D

MoiraKarin

the moon relate to positive feelings for me as well most of the time, but could sometimes 'flip coins'and turn into' fearsome'

Caristia

Sorry I'm late for class - I've spent the entire weekend trying to catch up with my work (including an all-nighter on Friday night). :(

First of all, I only have one Lenormand deck - a Piatnik - and I understand that the clouds are reversed. I hope that isn't a problem.

I've never paid much attention to cleansing though I have to admit that my Lenormand has something very special about it. I don't know if it's "energy" or what. I got it from Mr. Somerville. The deck seems like it had been lovingly handled but there's also a touch of something else - wistfulness? I bought it during the last few days before he closed up shop, so maybe that explains it.

I'm also one of those who is having trouble finding a place to do the readings. Only 2 rooms are inhabitable at the moment, so I can either use the kitchen table and get disturbed or use the bed, which apparently isn't ideal either.

At least I have a nice place to lay out the cards - a beautiful velvet Sulis reading cloth.

Last night I tried the "finding your inner centre" exercise and promptly fell asleep!

Tonight I will try the breathing exercise while looking at the Rider card. Is anybody else going through the whole deck like that one card at a time as Iris suggests?

lord_ewin

I've never paid much attention to cleansing though I have to admit that my Lenormand has something very special about it. I don't know if it's "energy" or what. I got it from Mr. Somerville. The deck seems like it had been lovingly handled but there's also a touch of something else - wistfulness? I bought it during the last few days before he closed up shop, so maybe that explains it.

I'm also one of those who is having trouble finding a place to do the readings. Only 2 rooms are inhabitable at the moment, so I can either use the kitchen table and get disturbed or use the bed, which apparently isn't ideal either.

At least I have a nice place to lay out the cards - a beautiful velvet Sulis reading cloth.

I don't bother cleansing the cards, and don't believe it matters much where or how you draw the cards so long as you have enough room and some quiet to concentrate. I have done readings on my bed, first thing in the morning, and the only places I don't recommend are outdoors unless the wind is calm. So don't worry about where... :)

CLEANSING / CONSECRATING:

Any hoky poky is just added fluff for show in my opinion, and doesn't really help me with my card readings. If it helps you, keep at it, but we hardly have to go through burning insence and throwing holy water over our cards and burrying them beneath an oak tree in a special box on the full moon to get cards ready for readings. You rip the plastic off the deck, fondly look at all the cards, clear your mind and tell them what you want done and what your question is and go at it. It has never failed in my 12 years of reading Lenormand, and my 25 years with the Tarot.

On the occasion that the reading seems wonky, the fault is usually mine because I'm preoccupied or can't seem to concentrate, not because the cards aren't tuned in. You're the card reader. Either you are tuned in, or you are not... The pieces of paper in your hands don't need anything more than a firm hand and a clear and inspired mind.

LE

PS, yes, I do recommend meditating on each card as Iris Treppner suggests. Keep your note book close by and mark down any thoughts. I'd even ask myself 4 questions, what this card represents in love, what it represents in work, etc... It gets you thinking about future meanings. :)