Help for old french card. Fish & Clog.

Bernice

I have found an old french card with the image of a fish and a clog (cabot/sabot?).

Is there any old french proverb or historical meaning for these two objects to be shown together?

Bee

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Bee,

Bernice said:
I have found an old french card with the image of a fish and a clog (cabot/sabot?).

Is there any old french proverb or historical meaning for these two objects to be shown together?

Bee

Is it possible to post an image of the card, or describe it more fully? It sounds interesting - I'm no expert in French folklore, but I'd like to find out.

Also the back of the card - is there anything on it, or any indication of where the card came from, what age it is, etc.?

Bernice

Hello Ross,

It's from an unknown incomplete (32) card deck - French.
I love the images and am creating a deck from it for myself.
It's card number 15, here at Trifoni.

http://trionfi.com/m/d0yyyy.php?decknr=0593

An excellent site, but unfortunatly the 'search' page has
recently stopped working so I can't search for other 32 card
decks to make any comparisons.

Bee :)

EDIT: The info. says the cardback is white.
Ladies dresses appear to be around the time of Napoleon with
a puffed cap to the sleeves and a high waist (empire line?).

Bernice

Further ideas...

Some possible meanings for this card could be;

1) Sabotage.
Possible conection to the event where clogs (sabots) were used to jam machinery. But unless the machinery was related to the fishing industry, this isn't feasible. Additionally, there are other ideas of how the word 'sabotage' came into being.

2) Word play or pun.
After translating the words "fish", "clog/shoe" and variations into French, I'm none the wiser. I'm not french.

3) A religious significance or meaning.
"Shoes of the Fisherman" ???

4) Could this be a fish that walks?
Perhaps 'fishy' conditions or situation, or a 'fishy/slippery' person - not to be fully trusted?

I'm running out of ideas....

EDIT: Next day.... I've arrived at the most obvious meaning, and it 'feels' right for the period and type of card. Needless to say, it's not any of the above!

Rosanne

Wanna play Bernice? :D

To be taken with a grain of salt -even though true.

Some say that the 36 card decks for Fortune Telling, came about from early Almanacs called Clog Calendars. That is, each card represented about a ten day period.
Now there was this Almanac maker called John Partridge, who actually was a shoe maker. There was also a card maker called Trout (poor Guy) who was always treating Almanac makers with derision. Trout put it about (maybe in the papers) that Partridge would die on the 29th March at 11 o'clock from a fever; the next day he placed an Epitaph in the Tatler that read...
Here, five foot deep, lies on his back
A cobbler, starmonger, and quack,
Who to the stars, in pure good-will,
Does to his best look upward still.
Weep, all ye customers, that use
His pills, his almanacs, or shoes;
And you that did your fortunes seek,
Step to his grave but once a week.
This earth, which bears his body's print,
You'll find has so much virtue in't,
That I durst pawn my ears 'twill tell
Whate'er concerns you full as well
In physic, stolen goods, or love,
As he himself could when above.'

Of course Partridge was incensed- but Trout made his card in the next pack.

~Rosanne

Bernice

Hello Rosanne, yes I'd like to play!

For me this is an enchanting 'mystery' deck.
I think it's probably topical of time & place, so the Trout/Clog info. is vey welcome - thank you.
In this context the Trout (cardmaker) surmounts the Clog... you said:

"Of course Partridge was incensed - but Trout made his card in the next pack."

Was it this card I wonder???
Card number 11 (six ladies/queens in a row), could they be Napoleons sisters?

Bee

Bernice

See the Pope card. Is it a bubble he has........ or cherubs as Moonbow suggested.....

Is that not a bubble! OMG, must get the magnifying glass out. Little cherubs would be SO delightful!

I don't have the actual cards (wish I did), I only have the images :(

Bernice

Here's the Pope, and a blow up of the Bubble-thing.

Attachments

• pope-card.jpg
    pope-card.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 266
  • buble-cherub.jpg
    buble-cherub.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 264

Bernice

Wondering if the 'bubble-thing' he holds is some church-orb-thing. The handle appears to be cross-like.

His expression seems to be = "Hmmm... what have here?", "Could it hold some secret message from God".

A close examination of a church-bubble-thing could mean, "Where is the Spirit?" or ".....I think I can just see the Holiness in this...or not".

eta: Is it a thing that holds HOLY WATER?