a stone version of the fool ?

firemaiden

no reactions, anyone ?

Bernice

Hi, Keeper of Toaster :)

"......very early thirteenth century or in the late twelfth."
The pose is similar to the Fool. A little fellow with asses ears, carrying a spoon(?) which has a 3-leaved clover (or suit of Clubs icon) in the bowl of it. Can't make out what the 'stick' is, in front of his foot. Looks pleasant, he's smiling..... I think.

I wonder who put him there? Was it the stone-carver or did someone give instructions that he should be included in the design?

Bee :)

Bernice

I think he's holding nail! A big one. His other hand is cupping a ...cup? Is the clover-leaf-thing meant to represent the Trinity?

firemaiden

Hi Bernice. Thanks for responding. :)
It seems the stone-carvers had free-reign to put up what they wanted, whereas the façade of the churches would have been designed.
I propose the stick is a walking stick, with a face carved on the end.

Moonbow

I don't know..

The lower part of the stick doesn't seem to connect to the upper part to me, but does seem to connect to the bowl. I see the face at the bottom of the stick, and I see his left hand cupping the bowl with a trefoil, or clover type emblem on it. Is he holding a pickaxe or does he (or his hat) have 'ears'?

shapeimage2.jpg

Bernice

I think he's grasping the stick (nail) in one hand, and cupping the bowl-thing with the other hand. I think the stick and the cup-bowl are two separate items....

Is he wearing a hat with bunny ears?

ncharge

I don't think they are donkey ears - they look like rabbit ears to me. And it looks like he is holding a mortar and pestle with a 4 leaf clover. In medieval times, the donkey was noted for carrying Mary to Jerusalem before the birth. The 4 leaf clover was associated with immortality and good luck (Eve was said to pluck one as we left Eden). The Hare used on a lot of medieval churches. Originally associated with fertility, abundance, good luck, etc., it eventually became demonized - here is a link to an image from Chartres Cathedral with a demon rabbit that looks amazingly like a man wearing rabbit ears.

http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrRabbits2.html

Anyway, I think the character you see in France is the non-demonized rabbit brewing up good luck and abundant blessings.

Moonbow

Fascinating ncharge, thanks for the details.

I was reminded whilst reading your post, of jmd's petroglyph photos of hares on cathedral buildings:

http://www.fourhares.com

Rosanne

I think that is a nail from the cross.
Saint Radagonde was a German princess who (long story)....collected relics and was famous for her pieces of the true cross and nails. There is this idea that the four nails were used, against the idea that three nails were used. The three nails were like the Trinity as the shamrock was like the Trinity. I think the little hare eared demon? has nicked the 4th nail so to show.....um... the Trinity.

~Rosanne