A good book for beginners?

Marandana

Hello, I'm new and I'm wondering if some of you can recommend me a good tarot book for beginners? I don't know with which one I should start.

Theta Choir

If you are literally brand-spanking-new to Tarot, I really like "Tarot for Beginners: A Practical Guide to Reading the Cards" by Barbara Moore. It condenses each card down to a very basic core meaning that is simple to understand and easy to memorize.

Note that I'm not kidding when I say "condenses". Some might feel it condenses a bit *too* much, but for an absolute beginner, I think it's a helpful learning tool. After you memorize these core meanings you will then have to start looking to other resources to expand on these meanings.

If you already know the basic meanings of the cards, however, and you are looking for something to take things a step further, then I'd choose something else. :)

gregory

I agree with Theta.

And if you aren't QUITE that much of a beginner, Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card.

Theta Choir

And if you aren't QUITE that much of a beginner, Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card.

I *so* want that book. I actually just mentioned it to a friend of mine yesterday. It is at the top of my list for the next purchase I make. Curse you, empty wallet!

/shakes fist

Marandana

Thank you all, I'm not *so* a beginner, I have a little knowledge, however I still feel like I have a long way to go. I've been learning so far all by myself and I want something like, well explained but also not so difficult to understand.
I'll check out your suggestions of course. Thanks!

Wispy

I recently read "The New Tarot Handbook: Master the Meanings of the Cards" by Rachel Pollack and found it pretty good for looking at the imagery and meanings of the RWS tarot cards. The author focused too much on numerology, something I'm not into at this point.

I also enjoyed "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. I tended to jive more with her views.

agent199

The New Tarot Handbook is a personal favourite of mine. One of the things that I like about it is that the book includes a spread for each major arcana card that enhances your understanding of that card.

I recently read "The New Tarot Handbook: Master the Meanings of the Cards" by Rachel Pollack and found it pretty good for looking at the imagery and meanings of the RWS tarot cards. The author focused too much on numerology, something I'm not into at this point.

I also enjoyed "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. I tended to jive more with her views.

minotaur

http://www.learntarot.com/

That will give you the basics, then go through this one...

http://www.tarotmania.org/

At that point you will have your own ideas.

Both of those sites are free, posted by the authors themselves. If you want to buy a physical book I can recommend Dusty White's "The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot Ever".

While there are many good ways to learn I think these recommendations might work for you.

Asbestos Mango

I like Rachel Pollack's "Tarot Wisdom". It's easy to read, gives you a good working knowledge of the symbolism of the cards, plus astrological and numerology correspondences.

Another advantage to this book is it's a big, massive tome you could use to barricade the door in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Also, www.tarotsmith.net is a really good place to go if you're serious about learning divination. It's run by the guy who put up the Poe site www.eviltarot.com (which is just freaking hilarious) He has lots of good information on how to use the Tarot, some easy beginner-type spreads, and Jeremy Lampkin, who runs the site, is a really cool guy. I've been swapping e-mails with him all week, and he's very knowledgeable on the Tarot and all things esoteric.