E-book editions anyone?

Ryver

I am curious if anyone here has ever gotten either a companion book or other reference-type tarot/oracle book in e-form such as for kindle readers.

If you have, how do you find the ability to get to the exact page you need at a moment's notice if you want to look up a specific card, issue, spread, etc quickly? Bonus if you use the kindle paperwhite which is what I have.

I love the device to read a book from front to back but have never used it in this capacity and wonder if I would get frustrated to not be able to fan through the pages, back and forth, hold multiple pages open, etc. Of course I am hoping there are solutions to this or perhaps even some advantages I haven't considered that would outweigh any cons. Unless each card was treated like its own chapter I don't think the goto index would function to hop right to a card quickly but maybe I'm mistaken.

Rhiamon

I have downloaded a few tarot books for my kindle fire and although I love reading on it, I dont love not being able to reference different cards, etc. like in a real book. So I haven't any tips or tricks, sorry to say :(

WolfyJames

I have a Kobo Glo and I put solely novels on my ereader, to get rid of my numerous novels (too many books), and also because novels are easier to read on an ereader than other books. I prefer to keep my other books and keep on buying new ones too, like tarot, history, occult, etc. It's easier to handle these books for real.

Ace of Stars

There are a couple of ways you can access the information you want. You can use the Table of Contents, and just click on the chapter you want. You can use the search feature and type in, say, 'Three of Wands'. I have not found it daunting, and read pretty much every book I read this way.

Ryver

Rhiamon and Wolfy, that's what I have been thinking.

Ace of Stars, I hadn't really thought about the search function but that might work in cases where there are many cards listed in a single chapter such as major arcana or the Lenormand system of cards.

Okay, I'll take the plunge and give it a try with one to see if I go crazy or find my own way to manage it. I'll report my thoughts here after I've given it a fair shake in case anyone else is wondering about this same issue.

3ill.yazi

Adobe Acrobat and other PDF and ereaders can insert bookmarks for easy access.

avalonian

I have many tarot books on my Kindle. (probably more than I will ever have the time to read!). I try to go for the ones with a linked table of contents which can be a really useful shortcut to get to the relevant page. It's a good idea to download the free sample first, this can give a good idea of how easy it might be to find your way around the book.

I love the fact that with the Kindle you can bookmark a page, or highlight a passage of text to refer back to later, the "notes and marks" section then becomes like a mini journal for that deck, and they are all in one place if I want to copy them into a paper journal later.

Also, if I want to be writing things down that interest me from the book, into a paper journal, it's easier as I don't have to try to hold the book open with one hand whilst writing with the other.

:) :) :)

Chimera Dust

You could use the notes and bookmark tools if your book doesn't have a clickable index. Just add the bookmarks wherever you want and then you can find each important part again. :)

Ryver

I love the bookmarks idea and will have to give that a shot. I downloaded The Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle by Sylvia Steinbach. The index doesn't offer an easy way to get to individual cards. It looked like it did at first but it wasn't happening. I read through it in typical book fashion with no problems. I wish I had thought to make notes or bookmarks but I've never done that with anything in kindle before.