how to read the cards on first operation by paul foster case

ivanna

Hi,
I am reading the book Oracle of Tarot by Paul Foster Case.
At the end of each first lessons you have an excercise that at the end will indicate the following:

Shuffle and cut as usual for the first operation, look is the significator is in the pile correct for the question, and if so, take this pile, cut it once, and lay all the cards of this pile on 3 piles from right to left.
One is the futute, one present and one past.
Then you read the cards bearing in mind if they are refered to past, present or future.

But the question is how do you read all this cards. Foster does not indicate any special rule for this, so I am not pretty sure about how to read it, just following the order in wich the cards appears?

Grigori

Something that is helpful here is applying the Elemental Dignities. This will help you determine which cards are strong in a reading, and which are weak and may not be applicable. I would tend to first use this approach to consider which cards are most important, and then see if a meaning is clearer.

Paul Hughes-Barlow has written a lot on this area and would be good to consult as a resource. http://supertarot.co.uk/ootk/index.htm

ivanna

Yes, thank you. I have seen this site before, has a lot of information regarding to this, thank you.

Teheuti

Another method, described by Waite in "The Oracle of Tarot" is that you lay the cards in a line or arc and read each card as a statement that is modified by the card on either side (no need for elemental dignities although you can apply them if you want). String these statements together as a kind of story.