3 of Swords interpretations

Bronwyn1

Aerin said:
When I get this card it is usually about disillusionment, like when you discover Santa Claus isn't real

Aerin

:bugeyed: Santa isn't real???? :bugeyed:

Nevada

I often see this as one sword coming between two others. Some form of unified thinking gets split apart, or something comes between two people. I've seen it come up for squabbles of all kinds, as well as for a need to express one's feelings.

It can be positive in the case of something that needs to be divided, cracked open, or split up, or in the case of a catalyst prompting an argument or some kind of catharsis that clears the air.

One could think of it as a love triangle at times, other times as a marriage counselor or abitration.

Nevada

ofbainbridge

I usually go with number and suit associations...

U: Advancement of knowledge and understanding of someone or something

R: Knowledge and understanding are impeded somehow and so brings problems...

Grizabella

The 3 of Swords in the Bohemian Gothic. I don't have a scan to post but the card shows a woman standing by a porch railing on which sits a dove---who is in turn standing by another dead dove with a little blood trickling down the porch railing. The woman's hands are folded in front of her and she's looking out of the card at us with a rather odd expression on her face.

GoddessArtemis

I've had this card come up in readings for me and others as:

1. heartbreak/break-up
2. a 3rd party, love triangle
3. someone making a choice (swords) to be hurtful towards your heart
4. one's mind hurting one's own heart (over-analyzing, over-thinking, ruminating)
5. breaking the silence of the 2 of Swords, saying things that need to be said, even if the truth hurts
6. releasing the anguish/ambiguity of the 2 of Swords, letting the poison out, so you can move on to healing (and the 4 of Swords)
7. Being betrayed
8. Being misunderstood
9. Conflicted in heart and mind, not sure which to follow, but the head most likely will over-ride the heart (hence the bleeding heart picture)

Needless to say, not a favorite card of mine. Could do without it.

GA

KCB

In the Mythic Tarot, (the old version which was my first deck) Juliet Sharman-Burke described this card as like an abscess bursting. Unpleasant, painful, stinky even, but absolutely necessary to the healing process.

K

minrice

There is a positive that can be gleaned from the 3 swords, the life lesson that I think many have already mentioned. Sorrow often brings clarity and a time of tremendous personal growth to a level we cannot reach any other way.
The 3 swords just isn't overwhelmingly positive as many things in life just aren't. I think to try and make it something it isn't does the card and the potential lessons it has to teach a disservice.

The crowned one

I wrote this some time ago, It is interesting for me to read it again as my thoughts have progressed from this idea, but the root stands:

The crowned one said:
"I feel this card is often misrepresented or interpreted. Somehow it is constantly interpreted in the light of a cup, emotion and feelings, rather then by the way of the sword, intellect and reason. Even the tarot dictionaries have too many cup style interpretations for my liking. So here are my thoughts on the Three of Swords…

Generally I see this card being used in readings by others as meaning “sorrow and heartbreak” and really if you feel it does, so be it. But using its key: it is a sword. That tells me this card is about reason, analysis, and communication (among others). Next the card is a three, what does the three mean to you? For me threes are about ends and beginnings, new cycles, growth.. Using my own rules of interpretation as a base for this card without letting the imagery affect me yet, I have a card that is about understanding and growth. That does not sound too bad yet! Analysis leading to a new cycle. That sounds good too! So lets add the imagery of the Rider/Waite card using the foundation I established (and I use this rule for all my minor cards (suite, number, imagery, cards around it, and how the person I am reading for reacts to the card. I often ask “what do you see here?” and they almost always focus on one or two bits of information/imagery on a card) back to the topic…The imagery..This card is not about having your heart cut out and broken, it is about understanding the cause of your heartache and growing from it. In my journal I have: Quarrels in a relationship, Cutting to the heart of the matter, releasing pain and understanding your sorrow. Perhaps it is a need to express your sorrow, as swords are about communication, the rain in the background might mean tears, a very healthy release. It could be interpreted as very hurtful, and mean words causing the pain, cold calculated intentional hurt. It might in some cases suggest separation form the heart and emotion through to great of a reliance on logic and reason. So there is some healing in this card, some third person hurts, and a lot of growth and understanding.

I more often then not see it as a card truths, of healing, understanding, and insight.

Still sometimes it just means a broken heart ;)"

This post was directly related to the Rider/Waite/Smith deck, but it is general enough to cover most three of swords. What has changed for me most is the "three aspect" I wrote "beginnings, new cycles, growth" true, but it is key and it is there I should have expanded as far as I am concerned now. I would add to this post: Iamblichus, a Greek noeplatonic philosopher said "The triad (3)has a special beauty and fairness beyond all numbers primarily because it is the first to make actual the potentials of the monad." What he is talking about are the principals of trinity: mind body spirit, past present future,born life death. Three's are beginnings and ends, cycles.

Three is the only number that equals the sum and product of all numbers below it. Ancient mathematical philosophers saw this as meaning Harmony, prudence and peace.

A good way of looking at three in tarot is like this:The archetype of "three" is of a relationship between opposites (two) that brings them (two) to a new level in their manifestation (three). No enduring resolution of anykind is possible without the third aspect , the two opposites of yin/yang, hot/cold etc of the number two are balanced, arbitrated or transformed by the aspect added by "three". Knowing how or what element to choose is the difference between on going conflict and resolution. The opposites of two's are resolved or perpetuated by the aspect of three. Trinity means "three as one".
The above is from a more recent post and I have not budged from this take as of today....of the three, but tempered with the sword of course.

Three being the common theme to coins, cups, swords and wands must have these aspects included as far as I am concerned. Sword is still the lock that the key(three) must fit to open the card.

Gazel

minrice said:
There is a positive that can be gleaned from the 3 swords, the life lesson that I think many have already mentioned. Sorrow often brings clarity and a time of tremendous personal growth to a level we cannot reach any other way.

This would also be my understanding.

To me 3oS is the synthesis of feelings/emotions and knowledge.
Or as I wrote in another thread about this card:

a depiction of the union of intellect and feelings ... I just intuitively understod that the deeper meaning (to me) of this card is that union or balance of emotion and intellect is a tough maturity process, that will hurt, but it will also bring experience of life, or maybe even wisdom.

Gazel