Moon positivity

Thirteen

You want the truth? Thoth's view of the Moon

can the Moon represent truth instead of illusion?
And funny you should ask that question, as here is the Thoth deck's take on the Moon:
The Moon will lead us into...the subconscious, where there are no more words, just images and notions. It represents a journey into the darkest night, a look behind our own face....though everybody likes to equate it with the mysteries, rarely does someone really enjoys the look into their own abyss...the unvarnished truth is not too pleasant....

Unlike most trumps, the Moon has no real negative aspect, but it implies a serious danger. The journey into night could be too much when we're not prepared and we might get lost in our own shadow.
Putting it another way: "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!" :joke:

This site notes all the "deception" interpretations for the trump, but also says that the Moon can stand for: Intuitivity, wisdom, maturity, deepest self realization.

Rhinemaiden

I welcome the moon card in my tarot readings for myself. For me the moon is a very positive, comforting card... full of dreams, manfested hopes, creativity. My favorite moon card of all is in the Tarot of the Absurd, the child asleep in the forest under the watchful moon (not the alternate mother/child moon card).....I feel peace, security, benevolence in that card.

Tarot of the Absurd moon card here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k8VINXGW738/UIGFr0n05sI/AAAAAAAADiE/hgU3KHnjaXM/s320/TotAbsurd-XVIII.jpeg

willowfox

***Positive side of the Moon, acute instincts, seeing through deception, seeing the traps, gaining inspiration(J.K.Rowlings), sexual femininity, creativity, boosted imagination(Edgar Allen Poe), not getting lost as the light of the Moon guides you.

novenovembre

The Moon is often seen as a card of illusions, deception, fantasies and dreams where nothing is real. The associations are largely negative, implying fear, nightmares, eerieness, and journeys into the unknown: the walk into the dark forest, or towards the spooky house at the end of the street. The light from the Moon creates more shadows than it illuminates.

However many people find the actual moon inspiring, and the face on the moon sometimes brings to mind the friendly Man in the Moon from Mother Goose. Some people think or work better at night, during the quieter, cooler hours. Cards that reinforce this might be 4 of Swords and 4 of Cups, that encourage quiet reflection, and the Star, being serene, untroubled, appreciating something beautiful.

But have you ever drawn the Moon in a single-card reading and had it stand for positive feelings, rather than foreboding illusions?

I hate to smash your positivity to bits, but everything you said above about the Moon is exactly what it means to me whenever it comes up in a reading....the moon is very intriguing and fascinating, and I understand your inclination to see it as something positive-I LOVE walking at night in the moonlight....-, but in tarot, everytime it has come up in a reading for myself or someone else, it has never failed to speak about something hidden, unclear, or deeply disturbing for the people involved.....often there's a secret involved; in relationships, in my experience, it suggests precisely that, or the idea that the other person, for reasons that we cannot fathom, triggers some uncoscious fears that scare the hell out of us, maybe just because we cannot control our emotions when she/he is present.....the feedback I get from others invariably confirms that.....
And if you look at the RWS Moon card, there's a scorpio coming out of the water.....that speaks volumes to me......

novenovembre

***Positive side of the Moon, acute instincts, seeing through deception, seeing the traps, gaining inspiration(J.K.Rowlings), sexual femininity, creativity, boosted imagination(Edgar Allen Poe), not getting lost as the light of the Moon guides you.

Sexual femininity...I love it....that goes back to why so many men would find it scary....