Deck Mixing for Readings

Aeric

The notion is taking two or more of your favourite decks and shuffling them together, or dropping them into a bag or box and shaking thoroughly. Then you do a single or multi draw.

Do you find that mixing decks adds dimension to your readings or is the variety and possibility of double cards too confusing? Are you able to attune to one deck's theme when it's combined with another or more?

rwcarter

I only use a double deck of the Transparent Tarot when I use that deck. Having the same card appear, especially in different combined images, spotlights the importance of that card in the reading.

I've also used the Winged Spirit together with Vargo's Gothic Tarot. I can't remember though if any of the same cards have appeared when I've used those two decks together. I've also used the New Vision and Universal Tarots together.

I like the idea of using opposite decks (a light and dark or serious and humorous, for example) together as I think they work well together to compliment each others meanings.

nisaba

The notion is taking two or more of your favourite decks and shuffling them together, or dropping them into a bag or box and shaking thoroughly. Then you do a single or multi draw.

Do you find that mixing decks adds dimension to your readings or is the variety and possibility of double cards too confusing?

Double cards are not a problem - I have a couple of decks with doubles, one even with a triple card, the Thoth Magus. You simply read them in the position where they fall.

You give us only the choice of two answers. My real answer is a third. Doubles not being a problem doesn't mean that I find mixing decks adds dimension to my readings. It doesn't. It just makes the deck(s) too thick to shuffle, and seems really, really disrespectful to each of the decks. What if they don't *like* each other? :bugeyed:

rwcarter

It just makes the deck(s) too thick to shuffle, and seems really, really disrespectful to each of the decks. What if they don't *like* each other? :bugeyed:

I forget the spread I used (something like a deck conversation spread I think from Aeclectic), but when I used it to let the Vargo and Winged Spirit talk to one another, they said they wanted to work together with each other.