Grand Lenormand Spread Details

ghost271

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has details on how to read this spread. How many cards out from the Key do you read from ? One,two, three? Significance of reading up, down, or diagonally ? Timing etc. Any help or links would help greatly.

Also. Has anyone tried this spread with tarot or could it be done in the Lenormand style of reading ?

lord_ewin

Ohh! the 9X4 ?

It's still the Petit Lenormand (36 card deck), while the Grand is the one with 54 cards. Which is why I gave you the explanations for it..! ^_^

Full Layout (9X4) for the Petit Lenormand is a different story entirely, and I'm told that the way I read them resembles more the french way of drawing the cards. (Incidently, I usually let the querent mix the cards when it comes to this spread. So you don't charge a card, and you don't ask a specific question. The answers should all be laid out. At least, the most important details to what is troubling the querent should be.)

4670767162_5db7ae561c_b.jpg

Basic Rules for Reading the 9X4 Spread:

1st Concept: The present is always the column the querent cards finds itself in. (Up down)

2nd Concept: The past is always represented by the cards to the left of the querent card (on the same row).

So in the example above the 3rd column represents the woman's present (white). Anything to the left of the 3rd column is her past (in purple), and everything to the right of the 3rd column is in her future (in blue).

02-21-29-32-04-15-24-17-26
03-19-22-31-14-11-25-07-27
30-20-34-01-12-16-33-06-35
36-13-18-23-05-09-28-08-10

If you are reading from the man then it will look like this:

02-21-29-32-04-15-24-17-26
03-19-22-31-14-11-25-07-27
30-20-34-01-12-16-33-06-35
36-13-18-23-05-09-28-08-10

3rd Concept: Degrees of influence

A card is said to be controled by the querent if it is below him / her. In other words, the querrent can do something to influence things.

A card above the querent is said to be influencing the querent. In other word the card is exherting an influence which the querent can do little about.

IE:

In the above spread you will note that the female querent is in a position where she has complete influence over the things around her. She is in a place of strength. For example if you take into account the card right below her (#22, the road, queen of diamonds), you could interpret that:

The female querent is making a choice.

vs.

A choice is being made for her (were the road card be above her).​

There's a lot more to this, but that should help you get started. Let me know how things go..! ;)

ghost271

Wow. Thank you so much !
Im going to need some time to digest all this info. Thanks again for the time of putting this all up for me !

rif

lord_ewin said:
Ohh! the 9X4 ?
Or 8x4+4, as the questioner mentioned.

Same ideas apply for reading that one, the cards are just spread differently:
[8 cards]
[8 cards]
[8 cards]
[8 cards]
[4 cards centered]

Reading is generally same. Some people attribute meaning to the last four cards. I prefer the symmetry of the 9x4 layout myself, but as with so much, it's a matter of preference.

Full Layout (9X4) for the Petit Lenormand is a different story entirely, and I'm told that the way I read them resembles more the french way of drawing the cards.
By anyone besides me? :D Just curious.

So you don't charge a card, and you don't ask a specific question. The answers should all be laid out. At least, the most important details to what is troubling the querent should be.)
You can ask a question if you want, though, and then just focus on the relevant card, such as Ring for a relationship question or Tower if you're looking at a lawsuit (depending on your card meanings here).

rachelcat

Thank you so much for this! I have been wondering and trying the all-cards spread, and it didn't make any sense at all. (Trying to go with distance from querant card, etc. Ugh!)

With ewin's ppf and direction of influence and rif's subject card ideas, it's starting to make sense!

I will definitely be experimenting now!

lord_ewin

Woops! I didn't realise he'd asked the 8X4 + 4. Sorry! :( But yes, rif is right to mention it..! I just went right away with what I'd learned.

Rif: About the French Method, no one else but you mentioned it to me, seeing as no one else seems to know much about it. ;)

With respect to asking specific questions, I usually go straight to the cards I'm interested in, and look at the surrounding cards. IE: health wise; I might check the tree card for example or the coffin, etc. However, my experience tells me that if it's not in the querent's future or past, it has little relevance to the querent's immediate concerns and situation, so unless they ask specifically, I don't offer that detail.

Good luck..! :D

ghost271

now in regards to the past and future. If you have five cards going out to the future from the key card, do you read nearest to farthest ? Or Outward and in. Also do you read the cards together in the line or each as an individual event?

lord_ewin

The nearer the card is to querent's present, the quicker the event should happen, while the further away the later. However, you do not read from the key card, you read from the Subject (querent) card. Key Cards (unless they are a person) do not have a future, so you need to read the cards that surround the key card to get an idea for the situation.

Past, Present, Future only applies to the querent, and people.

Also, each card is an event. But you can read diagonals to get a better sense of the event.

For example, the stork in the woman's future represents some changes. The changes are far away from the present, so it will take some time before the change can happen. Now what kind of change are we looking for? The diagonals will give you a good clue: ring + letter, there aren't any diagonals going up.

If you were looking at the messenger, then you'd have: road+fox and dog + tree.

BTW: This is where methods start splitting up. Treppner will say one thing; others will do other things... I read diagonals for events and key cards, and I read past, present and future for people only. Not to mention influence.

Clear as mud? :) LOL

rif

And here is where I will give my oft-given advice: pick one method and use it consistently, in order to get accurate readings. :)

ghost271

I want to say again how much I appreciate your guys input. I have Sylvies book and joined her website but it just deals with her no layout spread. I want more options and I think I'm going to stick with this method instead. I look forward to interacting with you guys more in the future.