The Priestess and the Moon

cheimonette

I read that there is a connection between the pillars in the High Priestess card and the towers in the Moon. I've always used that connection between these cards in my dealings with the RW deck, but now I can't remember where I read it. I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions about the relationship between these two cards. They do seem deeply connected to me.

ravenest

For me (on one level) the Priestess is that part of the consciousness that is 'female' and linked with the 'Super-consciousness' ('Sophia' ? ) and is observing the unconcuious realm 'from above' or its reflection.

In the Moon we are 'down there in it' (the unconscious) and looking around, observing and trying to make sense of it, or conversely, that world is 'percolating up' into consciousness and we are also trying to observe and make sense of it.

sworm09

To me they seem to be hints at the process of Initiation.

The pillars in the Priestess card are marked with B and J for Boaz and Jachin, which represents esoteric knowledge. The woman guards esoteric knowledge, but also you get a little tease from your unconscious, which already holds the esoteric knowledge. The problem is that walking up to your unconscious and saying "gimme" isn't going to go well....there's a reason the unconscious is hidden, there's some dangerous stuff in there, that's why the veil covers the waters behind the Priestess. We have to go a bit further before we can actually look our unconscious face to face. This card tells you to respect your intuitions as possible messages from your Higher Self, but you must remain wary of the tricks of the unconscious.

By the time we get to the Moon, we've learned a great deal...here we face the unconscious head on. The two pillars are intimidating entrances into the hell that is your unconscious mind. The winding path could take you God knows where and the two dogs remind you that on a basic level...you're just like them, an instinctual creature. Here we're walking into the depths..and if we're not ready fear, anxiety, delusions, and even insanity await. I think that the pillars here serve as a reminder and comparison to the High Priestess, basically letting you know that there's no veil to save you here.

Basically the connection is one of comparison: comparison between controlled and uncontrolled unconscious.

Abrac

My thinking is somewhat along the same line as ravenest.

Waite frequently uses pillars to identify boundries. I believe there's a definite connection between these two cards and their pillars but they represent diffent points of view. In Waite's comment on The High Priestess he says:

"According to Kabalism, there is a Shekinah both above and below. In the superior world it is called Binah, the Supernal Understanding which reflects to the emanations that are beneath. In the lower world it is Malkuth—that world being..."

I view THP as Binah looking toward Malkuth which is behind her, while The Moon is Malkuth looking toward Binah which is beyond the pillars.

Waite says in his comment on The Moon:

"The face of the mind directs a calm gaze upon the unrest below; the dew of thought falls; the message is: Peace, be still..."

Binah's influence is present if the animal nature can perceive it. Note again what Waite says in the previous comment on THP:

"In the superior world it is called Binah, the Supernal Understanding which reflects to the emanations that are beneath." :)