Qaballah and Tarot

Dragonfly

Hi Driley Thank you for the web-site I'am a book addict to so of course I will check out your chicken book. I have a few decks but I stick to my favortie which is the Thoth deck. I am open to use any book the group wants. Thanks again for the infor. :)

Ravenswing

web site book

hi guys--

on the website driley gave us the link to is a click on entitled "Notes on Kabbalah" by Colin Low. this is a very good introduction to the kabbalah. i would suggest that you download it.

LVX
steve

Ravenswing

another site...

hi, me again--

there's a great introductory site for kabbalah:

http://www.inner.org/index.htm

choose "jewish mystical thought", then click on 'the mystical significance of the hebrew letters' for a great run-down on the hebrew alphabet-- including pronounciation.

lots of other great stuff there too

LVX
steve

truthsayer

just tying a link here so i can follow this thread.

jmd

The two factors which have been mentioned a number of times are Dion Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah and a grounding in the glyph of the Tree of Life.

Rather than just doing a chapter a week from the above book, I suggest jumping to chapter XV Kether, as the first emanation (Sephirah). In my edition of her book, this is on p 109 (I have the 1987 print).

Also, to make discussion simpler, I've started a new thread called 'Qabalah - Tree of Life - Kether'

Ravenswing

an excellent suggestion jmd. i think a thread for each sephirah will make this study much more coherent. and starting with the chapter in fortune's book on ket(h)er will get us to the heart of the matter. should we eventually do a separate thread on the hebrew alphabet??

LVX
steve

jmd

A thread for each letter may very well be useful... I guess it depends on how many participants contribute.

At the least, I would think a thread for the three Mothers, another for the Doubles and a third for the Singles may be very useful.

Jewel

WOW! hello all, I believe I am all caught up now, and will see if I can find The Mystical Qabalah today and start reading. I am really excited about this thread! Thank all of you with more experience in this area for sharing with us!

augursWell

Re: Who goes where?

Driley said:

My suggestion that we leave Court Cards and the Major Arcana aside for a moment wasn't based on merit or advocacy of a particular position. It was simply a suggestion for an initial topic of exploration. And, certainly, we should get to the Major Arcana at some point -- preferably soon. But we've a need to start somewhere and this seemed an interesting an approachable place to start.

<snip>

What do you think?

Later, I'll suggest another system -- which is more complicated and has somewhat richer results. But for now, we can play with this (as well as whatever else others would like to suggest).

Have fun!

David

I agree that a good place to start would be the Ten sephiroth and how they relate to the minor arcana.

As to a book, I have a few Kabbalah references of my own different from the books that have been suggested and I've spent my book alottment for the month. I don't think a specific book should be a requirement for this study group other than for those of us who have no book on the subject at all. In that case someone might like to pull together a short bibliography for the newbies to the subject.

Also, I'm looking forward to Driley's "advanced" system of relations. :D

jmd

Just a reminder that the Ket(h)er thread is started.

Also, just because I personally disagree with the Golden Dawn (and co.) association of the minor Arcana to the Sephiroth should only provide additional material for discussion!