Robin Wood Study Group - 3 of Pentacles

kittenann

Three of Pentacles........

I don't know if this is in the right place in the forums but in the Robinwood deck..... The three of Pentacles, it look like a guy is hammering something into a gaint bird or something....... like a wall of feathers.... wtf? I'm lost on the image of the card. Am I looking at the card the wrong way? What is he working on?

annik

I think he is replicating feathers on rocks. But he is doing it so well that it is life-like.

satinangel

I see the 3 of Pentacles in the Robin Wood deck as a master craftman...he is so skilled in his position that he could complete a beautiful piece of work blindfolded...he is also very well compensated for what he does...whether it be in trade or monetary. Perfection....

~SatinAngel~

CelticGirl

This is one of my favorite cards! I never thought of it as him hammering feathers, but more like carving stone. The man is working with a proud smile on his face like he really enjoys what he is doing and is very happy with his work. I always get the impression that he makes his money selling things that he makes.... a hard worker. Though something I just now noticed that I never have before..... it's not a hammer in his hand, but something that looks like a wooden bell.... that's interesting! I see something new everytime!

Rhiamon

CelticGirl, I agree with you about the bell..lol...but in the book she calls it a hammer so maybe they just looked like that back then...hehe
anyways, this card has so much detail that I would have to copy literally a whole page out of the book to get it all. But I'll give you a few tidbits ;) All the colors in this card were deliberate for the idea she wanted to show...that he is a master craftsmen, and enjoys his work. He is gray to show that it takes a long time to become this achieved. The 5 stars in the background represent the 5 elements and the points on the pentagram. She made him sculpting wings because it's supposed to represent the freedom to "fly" where you want to once you reach this level of skill. Hope this helps...a great, great card (IMO)!

CelticGirl

That's great information Rhiamon! So it is a hammer huh? Still looks like a bell to me. :D I will have to get this book in the near future.... it sounds like I'm missing a lot of goodies without it!

CandyApple

My impressions of this card is of a scuplter. I feel he is adding the detail to his art work. The look on his face is one of happy satifaction. So I guess this card is saying to me, don't forget the details. No matter how big the project is, it is the little things that make it beautiful.

edit after reading everyone else interprations. Rhiamon I am so going to have to get that book! LOL

Rhiamon

CandyApple said:
My impressions of this card is of a scuplter. I feel he is adding the detail to his art work. The look on his face is one of happy satifaction. So I guess this card is saying to me, don't forget the details. No matter how big the project is, it is the little things that make it beautiful.

edit after reading everyone else interprations. Rhiamon I am so going to have to get that book! LOL
yes guys, it is worth the money, I learned so much about this deck after I bought it. I got mine on Amazon :)

spinningspider

Three of Pentacles

The "Three of Pentacles" is near and dear to my own heart. As a fiber artist, I personally KNOW the feeling of joy regarding a job-well-done that the artist in this card is displaying. Such pride of accomplishment is felt after, and most importantly during the journey of, years of hard work and study...not from a flippant nod to a subject, but from instead in-depth research requiring discipline and perseverance. I have always felt blessed to have discovered and been allowed to work on what I'm impassioned about, knowing full well that not everyone, even after a lifetime, finds their passion(s)...or even if they do find their passions, aren't in a position to act on them.

Unlike the gentleman depicted in this card, I've not become particularly wealthy from a material standpoint (as Robin points out in her book, the rich clothing this artist wears). But I have been gifted with that which goes beyond the material and feel that wealth can be much more than monetary...including piece of mind that I am working at what's best for me and my situation in life.

If this card comes up in a reading (of course, depending on where it falls in whatever spread and whether it's reversed or not), I ponder the following questions among others: Is the querent joyful in their present work or would something else make them happier?; Is the querent getting proper recognition for their work?; Has the querent done their job well or could they try harder, albeit even to the point of redoing something?; Might an attitude change at work be necessary?; Should further study be in order to insure happiness in work?; etc.

It's so beautiful that Robin drew on the artist's head a scarf from Russia that holds sentimental value to her personally. I have found that artists, in general, are often lovingly romantic and sentimental...finding beauty beyond that which the mass public holds near and dear. Sometimes this card showing up in a reading reminds me that what's truly important in life is not what's obvious to others, it's what's in one's own heart.

Briarfoote

Hello :)

Definitely the craftsman or Master Artist working at what he loves.

The book says he is sculptor and for the record - sculptors often use a a wooden mallet to strike the chisel. It can give you better control on the strike, has a little give, and it is also a little quieter to work with. The mallet tends to look just like that.

The traditional RW is a stone mason and the setting seems like a cathedral - but they both carry the same sense to me - doing what you enjoy and taking pride in doing it well. I also get the feeling that there is a sense of being recognized for your work. That can come in many ways and in many fields.

The man reminds of a blacksmith I know - at least the expression does.