21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step FIVE

dadsnook2000

With the weekend again approaching what better time could there be to start the next step in our study of the Tarot. 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card step FIVE introduces us the use of numbers, one of several such steps according to the book.

Mary Greer reminds us in this step that it is possible to read our cards based only on the number(s) associated with it -- thus this is another way to read the Tarot or to enrich the other methods that you typically use. Lets review the three sections of our Tarot deck:

** The pips are numbered one (Ace) thru ten. The Ace and the ten cards, using the numerological practice of "number reduction) are both "one" cards.

** The court cards are not numbered.

** The Major Arcana cards are numbered and they can be reduced. The book gives examples of this: 14 = 1 + 4 = 5. 19 = 1 + 9 = 10 = 1 + 0 = 1.

So we have numbered and unnumbered cards. This step involves associating KEYWORDS with the number(s) of the card. For the court cards there are keywords that are not based on numbers. APPENDIX B, starting on page 245, provides an extensive list of keywords for each number and each court card.

Our task at this step is to pick out one, two or three keywords that can be associated with our card's number and which has significance to us individually as we will want to recall and use this information later in our readings.

Mark Greer gives two examples in her book:
"I've drawn the Two of Cups. Twos are about duality and choice."
"You drew the King of Pentacles. Kings are about public mastery."

If anyone is still awaiting the arrival of their book, please let me know and I'll provide the list of keywords for you to choose from.

If anyone want to join the list at this time, please start with step ONE and work your way forward. I monitor each thread and will try to help or guide you needed until you catch up with us here. Dave.

dadsnook2000

The World -- Card 21

Fey Tarot: The World.
A giant snail glides through the stars carrying a portion of the world upon it back or shell -- a green hill ringed by a towered wall with other buildings within the walls. A large pink-red-orange dragon is perched upon one of the towers, a small green Fey flying just above its head, birds flying in the distance, no other Fey folks are in sight.

Note: I have posted a brief description of my card. I'm sure this will initially contrast to the keywords that we are to associate with it's number, but that contrast or relationship of words-to-card-to-number should prove educational to each of us.

I have chosen The WORLD, card 21. 21 reduces to 3. My keywords for "3" are:
** Synthesis.
** Fruition.
** Understanding.

I have to confess that these chosen keywords relate to what I concieve the World card as meaning but not necessarily what the FEY WORLD card might mean in terms of its picture. We are not focusing on the card's picture here, so the THREE conveys to me a sense of what comes from "coupleness" -- a child, what comes from "co-operation" between two collaborators -- a result or a fruition, what comes from any relationship in time -- understanding.

The number THREE implies a dynamic of coming together, of creation, of seeing a creation become itself (individualized). It extends what was, it promises more, it causes change and development. Three, to me, represents "life" in progress. Dave

Dwaas

SUN Hanson Roberts - card 19

I have chosen The SUN, card 19.
19 reduces to 10, which reduces to 1.

"Ones" are about (picked from Appendix B):

- pure energy
- root
- inspiration

coyoteblack

Tarot of Dreams Star

Step 5

I have the Star 17 1+7=8

I believe regeneration and results of victor and changes fit this card well
especially regeneration after that trip through the devil and tower the fool needs a break

ai731

World Spirit - Two of Cups

2 is about balance, duality, and relationships

RubyRuby

Step Five - Gilded Tarot - 3 Cups

My card is the three of cups. Threes are about action, socialization and togetherness.

dadsnook2000

Threes

RubyRuby, I was interested in your reply about the three's. You noted, "Threes are about action, socialization and togetherness."

I've attached the Three of Swords card that I had carved as part of my hand-carved tarot deck -- about half done now. The card is different from the RWS 3-Swords in that one sword has pierced the heart, one is bloodied which indicates it had wounded the heart at some point previously, and one sword is yet to be bloodied.

The symbology, as I intended it, was that the three represented coupleness that had created a third entity. This entity, child, or creation, had to be nourished at first, then allowed to make its own way and abandon those who had created it, then permitted to return in some new relationship. For a single person there is both joy and pain in a relationship, for parents there is both joy and pain in raising a child, for parents there is both joy and pain in letting go the child so that it can become its own full person. Hence the three swords -- one for past hurts in forming the relationship, one for recent or current hurts in raising the child, one for future hurts when letting o.

Just thought I'd share this. Dave

Attachments

• TC-3swords.jpg
    TC-3swords.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 780

LixiPixi

dadsnook2000 said:
RubyRuby, I was interested in your reply about the three's. You noted, "Threes are about action, socialization and togetherness."

I've attached the Three of Swords card that I had carved as part of my hand-carved tarot deck -- about half done now. The card is different from the RWS 3-Swords in that one sword has pierced the heart, one is bloodied which indicates it had wounded the heart at some point previously, and one sword is yet to be bloodied.

The symbology, as I intended it, was that the three represented coupleness that had created a third entity. This entity, child, or creation, had to be nourished at first, then allowed to make its own way and abandon those who had created it, then permitted to return in some new relationship. For a single person there is both joy and pain in a relationship, for parents there is both joy and pain in raising a child, for parents there is both joy and pain in letting go the child so that it can become its own full person. Hence the three swords -- one for past hurts in forming the relationship, one for recent or current hurts in raising the child, one for future hurts when letting o.

Just thought I'd share this. Dave

Hi Dave - I know I'm a bit behind in the study, but have made the most of my free time today to get caught up and most importantly, have changed my card to allow me to do so through the rest of the course. (See my edited post in Step One.)

I'm a litte curious about your response to RubyRuby regarding her keywords selection for the threes. I'm under the impression, based on the book, that we are to use the same card throughout the study and thus, interpret/study it according to the impressions that it lays upon us as individuals. I'm also under the impression that the keywords throughout the various appendicies are simply a guide to help us along rather than to be used as a sort of definitive. I guess in the end, what I'm wondering is if I'm interpreting or proceeding incorrectly by continuing to follow "my" interpretation of a card, rather than based on a specific image or even a specific "text" theory? In other words, if I were a complete newbie and had NO idea what a three or a six represented in "theory," would that make my keywords of the expressed numbers inappropriate for the study because I have no former knowledge to the "norm?"

I feel I did the same as RubyRuby and included keywords that came to mind, rather than precisely adding words directly from the book. However, when reviewing the words that both she and I chose for each of our cards, they all seem to fit just as appropriately, but with the personal impression of the card attached to them. Does that make sense?

LP~

dadsnook2000

Observations on the threes

I offered my comments on the threes as a conversational observation only. It had nothing to do, in my mind, on one's choice of keywords. Instead it was to illustrate how various approaches to card design and card usage might prompt one to consider various keywords. And, it introduced a design that many had not seen before. Just for the sake of conversation. No intent to confuse or to contradict anyone.

Our tarot world today is much more diverse than it was a hundred years ago or even twenty years ago. That is good and it might also represent aspects that are not as good in some cases -- this is a theme that is often brought up in many ways here on AT. Are some decks to "design or art biased" to be good for tarot usage? Do some deviate from the traditional concepts in a way that isn't good? Are the traditional decks no longer relevant in this modern society? All of this makes for good conversation and stimulates our thinking. Dave