21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step EIGHT -- part two.

Jewel

nicki said:
It was interesting reading Dave’s little sentence about why we chose a certain card, I hadn’t really thought about it until now. The past 6 or 7 months have been dominated by my relationship, ups and downs. Due to outside influences my partner had to move out to care for his daughters, this put a huge strain on us, as I’m not allowed (ex wife has issues) to have contact with his children. So we have had to change and re-evaluate our relationship and much to the disappointment of the ex wife, the struggles and difficulties have actually made us stronger as a couple, where it could have driven us apart. Someone actually said to me that if we get through this stage then we are meant to be together, so this exercise has been quite interesting for me.
AHHHHHH Strength in unity! another metaphor that would fit! I struggled something awful with this step, but reading your excerpt made this metaphor pop right into my mind! Good luck with everything.

le fey

8:2:1 - List as many metaphors and sayings as you can that relate to the Queen of Swords.

older but wiser
above it all
looking down one's nose at others
look before you leap
when I am old I shall wear purple
nurturing a grudge
barren woman
frigid woman
hardhearted woman
hardheaded woman
uppity woman
"feminazi"
too smart for her own good
arguing you to death
sharp tongued

8:2:2 - Finish the following statements as many ways as you can:

"I am ______(insert metaphor)."

I am older but wiser.
I am keeping myself above it all.
I look down my nose at stupid people.
I am going to look before I leap.
I am going to wear purple when I am old and be an eccentric old lady.
I am nurturing a grudge.
I am barren with no one to care for.
I am a frigid woman with no feelings.
I am a hardhearted woman.
I am hardheaded - like in the Cat Stevens song.
I have been labeled a 'feminazi' for the high crime of having a brain and not being shy about using it.
I am too smart for my own good.
I will argue you to death until you admit that I'm right.
I am sharp tongued.

"The situation feels like _________(describe an emotion/sensation implied by the metaphor)."

The situation feels like an opportunity to become older but wiser.
The situation feels like one where I should stay above it all.
The situation feels like I am looking down my nose at the others involved.
The situation feels like one where I should look before I leap.
The situation feels like I'm wearing purple - being myself in spite of common wisdom.
The situation feels like I am nurturing a grudge I should let go.
The situation makes me feel barren and without anyone to love.
The situation makes me feel frigid - I can't work up any emotional interest in it.
The situation feels like I need to be hardhearted and stay objective.
The situation feels like I am being hardheaded - stubborn and staying true to myself.
The situation feels like I might be acting too smart for my own good - maybe I don't really know it all.
The situation feels like I am being harshly labeled for daring to stand up for myself.
The situation feels like others think I'm being too smart for my own good - like they think I should get with their program instead of being 'uppity'.
The situation feels like I am arguing you to death because I want to be right.
The situation feels like I have to be sharp tongued to cut through the fluff.

8:2:3 - What do these metaphors suggest about your own situation?

Most of these seem really negative, but some of them are also just plain necessary. The overall theme seems to be as much about avoidance of emotional drama as they are about using mental strengths - cutting past pain, concern about the perceptions of others, letting emotions (their's or mine) get in the way of necessity, and dealing with adversity by getting smarter (using pain as a teacher for how to better avoid it next time).

I wasn't comfortable with this card, but took it on because I want to understand her better, and how she reflects my own life - and of course, I am finding out that she very much does reflect my current role.

I'm not happy right now that, while I do see some positives and very needed traits she has that I need, all of the metaphors seem to reflect the more negative aspects... as though these are traits that are necessary perhaps, but not welcome. I feel like a soldier trained to kill here - even if you respect the skills and accept the necessity in some limited situations, maybe you don't want Rambo hanging around in a situation where those skills aren't needed.

I think I'm being too harsh on this Queen, but I don't know how to put a kinder face on her strengths and weaknesses. (And oddly enough, I don't think she'd respect any attempt to whitewash who she is.)

Starling

I found this extremely hard to do. I very nearly gave this one up and decided to just go forward, and then these few metaphors came to me and I was actually able to do the exercise. I haven't looked at Step 9 yet, but I'm hoping I will be more attuned to it.

Metaphors for the 5 Swords

Just walk away
Eat your heart out
Pay back time
Cry me a river
Reap what you sow

And he stood there, looking at the other two and growled at them, "Eat your heart out!"
If you wait long enough, pay back time always arrives.
Sometimes it is best to just walk away

The deep anger that these metaphors brought out of the card were a real surprise. I have always had dreams where I am being overwhelmed by circumstances. Years ago I realized that the way out of the dreams was to turn them around. I think this card is a stronger version of that. I think that at one time or another the central character of the card has been in the position of both of the other card characters. It is a warning to learn to win well as well as to learn to lose well.

I didn't chose this card because I had dealt it out. I chose it because it was NOT one of the ones that was turning up as a Daily Draw. I chose a negative card because I wanted to learn about a card that normally I wouldn't want to delve into too closely. So this doesn't seem to be about my life now, although it does resonate with my life decades ago.

Verdi

21 ways step 8.2

DruidCraft The High Priestess.

8.2.1: List as many metaphors and sayings as you can that relate to The High Priestess.

The metaphors:

Life is not hard; it only needs some positive thinking
Train of thought
A penny for your thoughts
Wisdom is not truth
Who cares about reasoning anyway?
All good things come to those that wait
One day I will wake up, and it will all fit together
Time will tell
This is a process of eliminating options
Some day my ship will come in
We are all alone
It is my life
With visions of redemption, I walk against the crowd

8.2.2: Finish the following statements as many ways as you can:
1 am…

I am positive
I am thinking
I am thoughtful
I am for truth not wisdom
I am feeling and thinking
I am patiently waiting for something good
I am waiting for everything to fit together
I am witing for time to tell me
I am waiting for the right outcome
I am waiting for the good to happen
I am alone
I am in charge of my life
I am seeing the light, I go against the croweds

8.2.2.b. Finish the following statements in as many ways as you can :
The situation feels like…..

The situation feels like encouragement
The situation feels like concentration
The situation feels like curiosity
The situation feels like a put down
The situation feels like excuse
The situation feels like sacrifice
The situation feels like patience
The situation feels like expectations
The situation feels like reasoning
The situation feels like hope
The situation feels like loneliness
The situation feels like laying down the law
The situation feels like self belief.

8.2.3: What do these metaphors suggest about your own situation?
Well this card is helping me to go deeper into what I believe and feel. Letting go of just “thinking” things through. Being more in touch with the inner self. The metaphors I think are a bit difficult, and I don’t really like using them. Though I am now more aware that they will be used by those asking for a reading. Being aware of there meaning and uses is not such a bad thing.:)

Verdi :)

Ivy Rhiannon

21 Ways - Step 8.2

Druidcraft ~ The Moon
Pic: http://tarotstudies2.50webs.com/druid_craft/18.jpg

8:2:1 - List as many metaphors and sayings as you can that relate to the moon.

barking at the moon
the call of the wild
a sleepless dream
being crabby
hungry like the wolf
restless as the tide
dark side of the moon
blue skies are going to clear up
the road less traveled
lunatic

8:2:2 - Finish the following statements as many ways as you can:

"I am ______(insert metaphor)."

I am barking at the moon.
I am answering the call of the wild.
I am walking in a sleepless dream.
I am being crabby.
I am hungry like the wolf.
I am restless as the tides.
I am on the dark side of the moon.
I believe that the blue sky is going to clear up.
I will walk the road less traveled.
I am a lunatic.

"The situation feels like _________(describe an emotion/sensation implied by the metaphor)."

The situation makes me feel like i am going about things the wrong way.
The situation makes me feel like no one hears my call.
The situation makes me feel like I will never wake up.
The situation feels clammed up.
The situation makes me feel like I am also hungry for more.
The situation makes me feels like I won't stay put for long.
The situation makes me feel as if I am in a place no one understands.
The situation makes me feel that things can get better.
The situation feels like I need to venture into the unknown.
The situation feels like I am a lunatic.

8:2:3 - What do these metaphors suggest about your own situation?

Wow that is powerful. Some of those sentences hit close to home. I do have these sort of feelings! I am shocked that the metaphors worked.

dadsnook2000

Doing great

Ivy Rhiannon, you are doing great, and making fast progress going through these steps. The metaphor's are, in my view, super symbols or group symbols that offer a rich and pointed picture. Yet, there is room for each of us to individually see these in a meaningful-to-us way. Each step at the apprentice level and the adept level has this richness to it. We are all gaining great things from the guiding work of Mary Greer. Dave

Prism

Tarot of Prague -- The Hermit

8:2:1
The beat of a different drummer
Making your own way in the world
A journey of the soul
Life is a journey
Pilgrim's progress
Far from the madding crowd
Blessed solitude
Getting away from it all
The search for meaning
Shining a light in the darkness

8:2:2
I am moving to the beat of a different drummer.
I am making my own way in the world.
I am taking a journey of the soul.
My life is a journey.
I need to get away from it all.
My life is a search for meaning.
I want to shine a light in the darkness.

The Hermit is moving to the beat of a different drummer.
The Hermit is making his own way in the world.
The Hermit is taking a journey of the soul.
The Hermit feels like his life is a journey.
The Hermit felt like he had to get away from it all.
The Hermit's life is a search for meaning.
The Hermit shines a light in the darkness.

These metaphors suggest my feeling that I need to take an inward journey -- that I feel like the knowledge I am seeking can't be learned from others. I need to separate myself somewhat, create a space for myself in order to look into my own mind and find my own truths. Perhaps I will learn things that I will be able to share with others.

SistaSpirit

21 ways...Step Eight Part 2: RWS The Emperor

Step Eight- Part 2

2-1 Aphorisms/Metaphors

He who has the gold rule
Power Corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely
A heart of stone
Rules with an iron fist
Father knows best
Stubborn as a goat
An old man with long white hair and beard is sitting on a throne
There is no time for fun and games

2-2 Sentences

I am stubborn as a goat

I am an old man with long hair and beard sitting on a throne.

I am the father who knows best.

The Emperor feels like he has no time for fun and games

The Emperor has a heart of stone.

The Emperor rules with an iron fist.

The Emperor has the gold so he rules

2-3 My situation

I can relate to being controlling and authoritarian. (Father knows best, pretty much describes me)

Joon

Step 8, part 2, Whispering Tarot, The Emperor

dadsnook2000 said:
Step EIGHT-Two asks us to list as many metaphors for our chosen card as we can.

Then, we are asked to put them into given statements.

Finally, we are asked, "What do these metaphors suggest about your own situation?"

1) Metaphors and sayings for the Whispering Tarot Emperor:

I started by looking at the card:
- on top of the world
- out in the middle of nowhere
- out in left field
- boxed in - the square wooden throne
- old goat - from the picture in the card; because old goat has the "dirty old man" connotation, which doesn't fit, I changed this to "old fart"
- world at one's feet

Reviewing previous steps and writing:
Step 2, Description:
- a breath of fresh air
- above it all
- on the throne
- the head that wears the crown

Step 3, Emotion:
- calm, cool, and collected
- as far as the eye can see

Step 4, Story:
- four corners of the globe
- being/feeling centered
- a dream diary
- the center of the universe
- the power behind the throne

2) Put the phrases into statements:
I am on top of the world.
I am out in the middle of nowhere.
I am out in left field.
I am boxed in.
I am an old fart.
I have the world at my feet.
The situation feels like a breathe of fresh air. OR I need a breath of fresh air.
I am above it all.
I am on the throne.
The situation feels as if mine is the head that wears the crown.
I am calm, cool, and collected.
I am master of all I survey. (as far as the eye can see; four corners of the globe)
I am centered. I feel centered.
I am the center of the universe. OR I am at the center of the universe.
I am the power behind the throne.

3) Thoughts on my own situation:

The statements are divided between those that express centeredness and power and those that might be the reversed meanings. Today I feel more attuned to the second group.

- I am out in the middle of nowhere.
- I am out in left field.
I am applying for admin/secretarial jobs, something I have not done before. I have used applicable skills as part of past jobs and in self-employment, but right now i am feeling like that doesn't count. I try to emphasize the ways that my past experience does apply, but I come away from interviews and even from writing cover letters feeling like a fake. i feel both over- and under-qualified for the work I am seeking. I feel frustrated and unsure how to approach this differently.

- I am boxed in.
When I returned from living overseas for 12 years, my parents made the move easier by inviting me to move in with them. This temporary arrangement has continued longer than expected, and because part of my job hunt is through civil service applications, and some of those jobs have specific residency requirements, I have waited to move to my own home until I know where my job will be.

If it were not for potential civil service restrictions, I might take a leap of faith and find a home before finding a job. But in order not to (potentially) move twice, and in today's economy, it seems wiser to wait.

I feel boxed in, in that I have only one room that is truly my own space here. so many of my possessions are literally boxed in - still boxed up from the move and in storage. It frustrates me not to be able to find or access things easily.

- I am an old fart.
This is not true, but I feel like I am in a rut and not doing anything and not going anywhere. I made a list of things that I do that belie the statement, including having started taking a tap dance class this fall, and exploring 21 Ways to read a Tarot Card!

- I need a breath of fresh air.
This is a reminder not to let myself truly get into a rut. I made a list of things that would help with this, including:
- Leave the house every day, if only to walk to the mail box. This is winter specific, as I do not like cold weather. I need actual fresh air!
- Take myself on Artist's Dates. From Julia Cameron's work, specifically The Artist's Way.
- Make weekend visits to family or friends. Change of scenery.

I did not make a sentence for the phrase *dream diary.* When I saw it, twice, in my fairy tale, it made me think of Julia Cameron's Morning Pages, which I have done in the past. I made a list of ways that that practice benefited me, and added Morning Pages to my "breath of fresh air" list.

(Lists truncated, but you get the idea.)

dadsnook2000

A suggestion for Joon

Following the lead of the Emperor card, and to counter your feeling of being boxed in as well as not appearing competent to interviewers, why not volunteer for a job with your town or city or a charity organization doing the office/admin work you are seeking?

This would get you out of the house, develop or enhance the skills that you claim to have, demonstrate your ability to do what you are seeking to do, and may lead to contacts that in turn lead to a job. Now, that would be just what the Emperor would decide to do --- take active charge of the situation. Dave