21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step NINE

aurorarose

Step 9 Rider Waite Temperance
Why is she concentrating so hard?
Because what she is doing is important and requires skill and precision
Working on Science fair projects I won the county science fair and went to State, but my project wasn’t as impressive or as exact as some of the others and I didn’t win. If I had been more careful maybe my project would have come out better. I had fun that day even though I didn’t win and I was there with my good friend.

What time is it?
It is the end of a hot day as evening approaches a storm is coming in
Visiting family in New Mexico, I had fun days running around the ranch and then I would come home to good food and sit on the back porch with my grandparents and aunts and uncles having a good time talking and laughing. Relaxation/vacation after a hard work, comfort and family during storm/bad times

What are the rays coming off the figures head?
They are thoughts she is sending out to the world like ESP
Praying when I was young for help and help came, I can’t do everything by myself

Out of balance work and fun. Feeling too much pressure need to relax more.

faunabay

Universal Fantasy - Knight of Swords

Step 9

1) QUESTION: Why is this person wearing armor?
SNAPSHOT: I flashed on how I deal with my father with this question. He's very hard to deal with and a very good saleman so many times he ends up talking circles around you until you're totally confused and apologizing for something you went in there mad at him for.
ANSWER: She is wearing armor because she need to be protected - obviously. She's on her way to some sort of conflict and you never know what's going to come your way. You have to protect yourself before the fact. (emotions - anger that I need armor - I shouldn't)

QUESTION: When have you ever felt this confident?
SNAPSHOT: The answer answers all. :)
ANSWER: I've felt this confident most recently when I live in Pittsburgh, PA. (I just moved not quite a year ago) I had very good friends there who had similar beliefs to me. Who I could talk with about anything. Because of this I felt I could handle almost anything - some times to the point of arrogance. I had never opened myself this much before with friends - other than you Jewel! :) (emotions - love, full acceptance)

QUESTION: Where or when did you learn to shut out unwanted emotions so you could concentrate only on what needs to be done?
SNAPSHOT: I snapped back to my childhood.
ANWER: I learned to shut out unwanted emotions and only allow the strong emotions to stay as a process in growing up. While young I felt like I was the mother to my Mom - protecting her from my brother and father. I had to close down the childish emotions and grow up very quickly. Then when I was about hmmm.... not really sure what age, but not very old. Maybe 14, 15 yrs old. I also had a extremely grown up ephiany where I realized that worrying over my Mom didn't do much other than drive me bananas. That she was a grown woman (granted who needed help) but I was only a child. I couldn't take care of her the rest of my life and she would probably learn more if I wasn't hovering over her. I buried all my worries and hurt for quite a few years. I actually didn't cry for I don't know how many years. When I did finally let it out I think I cried for 3 days straight (literally). Now I cry at the drop of a hat though. LOL I actually cry more now when I'm happy than sad. (emotions - sadness that my mother didn't have the confidence to be an actual mother and anger that I had to take care of things I shouldn't have had to while I was a child)

2) I guess I need to process more of my growing up years. I've done alot of this in the past, but maybe I'm ready to let more go now. I think I could write a book here on what I will do. :) This exercise has made me realize a bunch here about my parents, aunt and uncle, and friends. Mostly that for the most part I feel my friends emotionally have my back more than my relatives do!

dadsnook2000

For faunabay

Isn't it amazing what these cards lead us into. Mary Greer wrote a book called Tarot Mirrors -- and that is so apt. The cards are mirrors that can reflect life if we use them well. It would seem that you are making a lot of connections in these threads. I won't comment on your experiences except to note that they are a fascinating story in themselves and I'm sure the others a learning a lot from your story as I am. Keep up the good work. Dave

faunabay

dadsnook2000 said:
Isn't it amazing what these cards lead us into. Mary Greer wrote a book called Tarot Mirrors -- and that is so apt. The cards are mirrors that can reflect life if we use them well. It would seem that you are making a lot of connections in these threads. I won't comment on your experiences except to note that they are a fascinating story in themselves and I'm sure the others a learning a lot from your story as I am. Keep up the good work. Dave

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. I don't have too much trouble just bearing my soul here on aeclectic. :* We all are essentially wonderful accepting people. And I don't know why - maybe because it would be difficult to do these exercises in the correct manner but then not post it all for you to read - but this stuff just comes out when I do the steps. :) Jewel and coyoteblack both know I'm not much of a studier. I don't usually do "bookwork" like this. But I'm really enjoying and learning alot from these 21 steps. It's been very interesting and enlightening.

Jewel

faunabay said:
Jewel and coyoteblack both know I'm not much of a studier. I don't usually do "bookwork" like this. But I'm really enjoying and learning alot from these 21 steps. It's been very interesting and enlightening.
I don't know about that black coyote ~giggles~ but I am real proud of you! :* :* :* ... I think that doing this work will also help you adjust to Kansas, and a lot probably has to do with the fact that you are with your family there, and your dad is close. A lot of memories to process and things to let go of. You know I am here for you always! Your my soul sister.

nicki

21 ways to read a tarot card - step 9

Again, ive found this step to be quite hard and abit emtional, i think ive touched abit of a nerve within myself.

Step 9 ~ Questions, Answers & Snapshots

Step 9.1a Ask at least 3 open-ended questions and answer.
I have taken this from step 3 ~ emotions

Question ~ When do I feel powerless?
Snapshot ~ My brother sitting me down to tell me his cancer treatment hadn’t worked and he had been told he had 4-6 months to live. He apologised for not being able to get better and told me he was sorry.
Answer ~ I don’t like not being in control of my feelings, over the years I have built up a brick wall around myself for protection and when I think I am going to be hurt I close the drawbridge and retreat behind my wall.

Question ~ What is the reason for hiding my feelings?
Snapshot ~ Being 13/14 and 2 girls I though were friends turning against me and trying to get others to turn against me.
Answer ~ Not wanting to worry my mum, so each day I would go home from school pretending everything was ok and when she asked why I didn’t want to go and spend time with friends, I used to say I had to much work to do, so from this age I created an illusion for my mum and built up an emotional defence.

Question ~ What would happen if I let my emotions show?
Snapshot ~ Being hurt by my first boyfriend and vowing never to cry over a man again.
Answer ~ I would feel vulnerable and I don’t like that feeling, I’ve built up a persona to hide behind to a certain extent and although the people closest to me know me for myself, strangers tend to find me stand offish.

Step 9.1 b What do I have to look at in my life right now?

Probably, why I feel the need to hide behind something, whether it be sarcasm or any other barrier, what do I think will happen if I open up?

dadsnook2000

Emotions

Nicki, emotions are the fuel of life. For many of us, for most of the time, the emotional content of our lives enhances our experiences. I've learned to stand aside in most cases and just "watch" the emotional flow through me and through others. Emotions have a cycle, intense and spontaneous at first, then more tinged with a logical overtone when they can be steered or shaped to best fit the situation, then ending with a prolonged phase where what one is feeling seems to ebb and flow as it eases back toward a normal level.

No matter how much we think we understand emotional forces, we all spend our lives constructing fences of one kind or another -- while on the other hand we try to purposely let ourselves be vulnerable or place ourselves into situations where we will experience hurt of some kind. As an example, I had a small dog quite a few years ago who had to be put to sleep due to age and illness. That day was really tough, and those emotions can still arise even today as I write this. Yet, we now have another young puppy now. The joy we get from the many ways of interacting with life always outweighs the pain of loss.

You are dealing with these issues now as part of your Tarot studies. Tarot is a representation of life. We are learning to use the cards as mirrors of all that we experience. As mirrors, the cards become tools due to the fact that they reflect images in ways we don't anticipate, forcing us to open up to new thoughts, new considerations, new awareness, new paths.

We have each passed through these steps here in our discoveries among the cards and will continue. You are part of this tenuous bond that we all share and you can feel free to draw upon that spirit of sharing that we have all created. Thank you so much for sharing your path with us. This is how we all progress and grow. Dave

coyoteblack

Nicki that was really good

I get the feeling you might have done some self healing while you were doing this.
I feel I am growing as a reader doing this work i almost feel you are growing as a person.

I do pretty much the same thing hiding behind sarcasm or just being funny when some times I hurt like hell.

I think you really , really put your all into this. " spot on" I think was the work they used in tarot connection podcast.

Jewel

For Nicki

~hugs~ As Dave and Coyoteblack mentioned, you have really put your heart and soul into this exercise, and I agree that through it you will reach a level of healing. As Dave mentioned those of us in this group have created a bond through our sharing as we all encountered tough issues that we have either ignored or avoided even if we weren't aware of it.

We all wear masks and we all hide behind walls to some degree, that is human nature. We are also all vulnerable, wall or not. The wall does not chase away the vulnerability, it simply creates an illusion of safety. I am glad you were comfortable enough to share your emotions. Please know that we are all in this together. Learning and growing, and facing our demons, fears, and in my case denial issues.

Take heart from this work, it will help you heal.

nicki

dadsnook2000 said:
We have each passed through these steps here in our discoveries among the cards and will continue. You are part of this tenuous bond that we all share and you can feel free to draw upon that spirit of sharing that we have all created. Thank you so much for sharing your path with us. This is how we all progress and grow. Dave

thanks dave, its been a very interesting journey so far and I do think I have learnt a great deal about myself.

nicki