21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step TEN & A NEW CARD

nicki

21 Ways to read a tarot card - Step 10

These questions came alot quicker than I anticipated.

Step 10.2 – Turn meanings into questions and answer them.

1) Where in my life do I need to trust my instincts? My relationship has been tumultuous of late and several people have told me to walk away and start afresh, but I feel that we have gotten over the worst part and if I persevere a little longer I will get rewarded for my patience.
2) What situation makes me feel vulnerable? This goes back to previous steps of opening up to people and letting them see the real me instead of the person I pretend to be.
3) When do I need to communicate more? I have a tendency to bottle things up then all of a sudden I pop and things that have happened months ago all come rushing out, so I need to learn to confront things as they happen.
4) Where do I need to restore balance? I feel that I do all the giving and changing and my partner takes, its probably because we have to work around his ex wife and children.

nicki

coyoteblack

Nice work Nicki!!

It seems you and your card are growing together. I was the same way with my Star card. Going through a lot of hope situations.

You are doing real well personallly as well as in the group.

Jewel

Nicki, like Coyoteblack I chose to stick with my Star card to the end, and it was really rewarding. The more steps I did with it, the more meaning it gained. It also taught me a lot about myself. Keep up the great work! and keep persevering in your personal life. Thanks again for sharing.

Starling

RWS - 5 of Swords

From Learn Tarot Web Site: acting in your own self-interest (setting aside the concerns of others, looking out for number one, thinking of your own needs, knowing you must concentrate on yourself, encountering selfishness, indulging in power plays, gloating, going for the win-lose result); experiencing discord (being in a hostile environment, feeling people are set against each other, choosing to battle, having an "us-against-them" mentality, creating ill will, experiencing conflict); witnessing open dishonor (losing your moral compass, letting ends justify means, sacrificing integrity, losing sight of what is right, achieving a dubious victory, knowing of criminal activity).

I think my own meanings are a lot like these. I recently used the Learn Tarot meanings from the Web on the Ace of Pentacles and had the experience of seeing most of these meanings open up for me. At this point I've written so much about the 5 of Swords that I am not at all sure that I've got anything else to say about the card. The "witnessing open dishonor" part of these "book meanings" are the only piece that I didn't already get from the other exercises, although I was aware that they were part of the "book meanings" from other times and other sources.

Questions
How should I act in my own self-interest?
In what way am I experiencing discord?
Where am I witnessing open dishonor?

I used the Learn Tarot web site because that is the place I am actually using when I do this part of re-learning the cards. I actually type out all of her keywords along with a note that this is where I am getting them. I'll also put a note on other keywords from other books or Web sites.

geministar

Druidcraft - The Moon

1. Interpretations from the Druidcraft companion book:

- psychic awakening
- Dreams
- Imagination
- Deep revelation of feminine mysteries
- Withdrawal
- Facing fears

Interpretations from the Tarot Bible:

- Intuition
- Fear
- Self deceit
- Illusion
- Blind to the truth, unrealistic dreams
- Feeling confused
- Feeling worried & apprehensive
- Trusting your intuition
- Losing touch with reality
- Tricky love affair

2. As I went through the list of possible meanings, the giveaways for me, while thinking of my question was becoming more focused, a quickening of breath, becoming more interested.

3. The main meaning that Jumped out at me was that of facing fears. This meaning makes me realise that I fear a certain situation, and when I become more aware of what I fear, I can deal with the situation easier.

4. My meanings are very similar to some of the meanings in the book, those being fear, illusion, worries and dreams.

Why are you feeling worried? It is mainly fear of the unknown

How can you stop your fears? By acknowledging them and making a concious decision and effort to take that step into the unknown.

Verdi

21 steps step 10

DruidCraft, The High Priestess
Step 10.

10.1.1: Some interpretations of the High Priestess (Popess)
DruidCraft: Carr-Gomm:
The realm of intuition, dreams, feeling and sensuality
The power of decision making through stillness, reflection and depth.

78 degrees of wisdom, Rachel Pollack:
Duality of inner and outer awareness
Passivity allows the unconscious to emerge.
The potential in our lives.
The sense of inner self.
Intuitively understanding.

Jung and Tarot, Sallie Nichols:
Needing two
Nourishment from dreams and the true reality.
Non verbal power
Serene, patient and knowing, secure in that wisdom

10.1.3: My question: How do you feel about yourself?
Meaning that jumped out to me: Taking time, listening, getting the right job that reflects my qualifications, needing another, never being alone. Being aware, living in the now.

To summarize: You cannot go alone, but you can take time, reflect and discover more of yourself through reflection.

10.1.4: I feel a lot is the same. However I feel that inner reflection should also include the experience or way of life of living in the now. Being aware of what you do now. Not thinking of what you have to do. So to gain greater insight alo means observing, asking your self why things are. Really looking at a painting, not thinking about the next painting to see in a gallery. Absorbing the pictures meaning to you. Giving it time and respect.

10.2:
The realm of intuition, dreams, feeling and sensuality
The power of decision making through stillness, reflection and depth.

78 degrees of wisdom, Rachel Pollack
Duality of inner and outer awareness
Passivity allows the unconscious to emerge.
The potential in our lives.
The sense of inner self.
Intuitively understanding.

Jung and Tarot, Sallie Nichols
Needing two
Nourishment from dreams and the true reality.
Non verbal power
Serene, patient and knowing, secure in that wisdom

1: How do you make decisions?
I think it’s usually facts based, but I know I let feeling in there, especially when I am really involved. I usually make bad decisions when I don’t take time to think through.

2: Do you listen to your intuition?
I seem to know it when I don’t! I keep forgetting to sit down and feel after, let my thoughts flow freely. If I did that more, perhaps I would follow my intuition better.

3: Do you remember dreams, and how do you interpret them?
I dream a lot sometimes, then sometime not. When I do remember I don’t usually reflect a lot on them. When I’m having emotionally difficult times, I dream of the people involved.

4. When do you relax and take time to think?
I’ve being doing that more and more, especially with tarot. The grounding is a really good way to relax and get in touch with oneself.

Verdi :)
Right now I got to do this with all the other 77 cards, lol.

Starling

Verdi said:
Right now I got to do this with all the other 77 cards, lol.

I've been enjoying reading your Steps, but haven't commented.

But this one line got to me. <grin> Yup, me too!

To some extent I am actually doing this with each card as it comes up either in a daily draw or in a spread now that I've started doing spreads again. I'm not doing the entire thing, or even many of the steps. I've got a favorite online site for keywords, and I'm copying them out for each card followed by at least a paragraph on my own thoughts for each card. As the cards come up additional times if it is a daily draw, I try to use some of the other steps on it as well, recording it all in my journal.

It has been very useful.

Prism

Tarot of Prague -- The Hermit

10:1:3 Meanings that jumped out at me:

Introspection
A quest
Meditation
Deliberate withdrawal
Self-discovery
Patience
Becoming centered
Maturity
A guide

10:1:4 These meanings were pretty similar to the meanings I came up with in the previous steps. I hadn’t thought of “maturity,” though of course that makes sense since The Hermit is obviously an older man. Also I hadn’t really thought of the lantern as “a guide,” so it was helpful to see that listed. I notice that loneliness is not listed here as a keyword, although, from lesson nine, it is obviously a big issue for me. Now that I think of it though, maybe loneliness is just the flip side of becoming centered.

10:2

What can I gain from being introspective at this time in my life?

I can gain a deeper understanding of what is important to me and where I want to turn my attention.

What am I hoping to find on my quest?

I’m hoping to find out some truths I can believe in about myself and about what’s important in life.

When can I make time for meditation?

If I make it a priority, then I will find the time for it.

What do I need to withdraw from?

Even though I love living in NYC, I need to find a way to withdraw from the craziness of it every day, to make time and space for myself to find a little peace and quiet.

What do I hope to discover about myself?

As hinted at above, I hope to discover more of a personal philosophy than I have discovered thus far in my life.

Where do I need more patience in my life?

Everywhere! Patience is not something I’m good at. I need to be more patient with myself, more patient with my family – you name it.

How can I become more centered?

I think meditation is really the best way to become more centered. Even just a few minutes a day really helps.

What does maturity mean to me?

It means being able to meet whatever life throws at you with grace and kindness.

Who or what will serve as my guide?

That is a good question. Maybe tarot, at least at this stage.

dadsnook2000

For Prism

"Lonliness" is sometimes the same as "being alone", but not always. I think the Hermit is alone, I don't see this figure as being lonely. While alone, I believe there is great anticipation and excitement about either discovering something or being discovered by someone who is seeking answers.

That's what this whole "21 Steps" has been about for me, getting me to see that the card's primary image-message can be extended in various ways. In this case I'm asking what happens next, in a moment, in an hour, later that day? When it happens, how will the Hermit react. Will the event fit with the Hermit's purpose?

So, perhaps, anticipation and expectation could replace "deliberate withdrawal" on your list. I see the Hermit as just being momentarily between where he was and where he will be. (Now, I've expanded his time-frame in this card in addition to the above expansion of his perspective and purpose -- do we need a book about this one card?) Dave

Prism

dadsnook2000 said:
So, perhaps, anticipation and expectation could replace "deliberate withdrawal" on your list.

Yes, I like that! Thanks for your perspective, Dave.