21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- step THIRTEEN

squeakmo9

Hiya Jewel!

Your Star card certainly is different...that's what I thought when I initially viewed your link. As I've followed your steps, and kept referring back to your pic of The FM Star, you are giving me a fuller view of The Star in general. In your description...she has become much more real, attainable, even.
She seems more involved with the earth than the cosmos, or her earthly sensibilities being continuously fueled by her connection to Spirit, her talking fish:D
Great work there Jewel, keep it up:thumbsup:

dadsnook2000

For Jewel

You have not only caught up with the study group but you now get a day or two to rest. Your card is definitely a different portrayal of the STAR card.

For part 2) you noted that there were "no objects." It is possible that the book was not meant to be taken so literal. If so, the "objects" would be the vines and flowers and fish and water's edge. Should these objects be taken as a single object -- nature -- how would that play into your card's message of "hope"?

Just curious. The STAR card in many decks are often quite beautiful but their portrayal of a message is sometimes indistinct relative to the word "Hope." Could you see this image as also suggesting "being at peace within ones own natural environment?" Or, "Seeking and reveling in an unhurried pace within comforting surroundings?" Or, "recognizing that we are part human, part god, part mother earth, part universe and that this sense of connectedness should lead us to a path of seeking greater perspective and a diminution of daily and petty concerns?"

Part of what I learning from all of these exercises is to stretch my views of possible meanings, possible messages from both individual and grouped symbols. My reaction to "busy" cards tis distill the objects or symbols in to one or a few grouped symbols or collective meanings. For some cards, I find that there can two/more meaning-directions within it. Then the surrounding cards in a spread or the card-position in the spread adds more richness. Perhaps you and others will want to discuss these approaches. Meanwhile, thank you for your earnest efforts and contributions. We're glad your with us. Dave

coyoteblack

to piggy back on what dadsnook2000 said

I always took the Star card to mean hope , But then after these exercises I also take the card to mean spiritual inter connect ness like I am part of the spirit world all connected together.

There is hope because I a part of the great spirit we are connected to everything. If anything this book will give you a real deep experience with that card.

Jewel

Hi Squeakmo9

squeakmo9 said:
Your Star card certainly is different...that's what I thought when I initially viewed your link. As I've followed your steps, and kept referring back to your pic of The FM Star, you are giving me a fuller view of The Star in general. In your description...she has become much more real, attainable, even.
She seems more involved with the earth than the cosmos, or her earthly sensibilities being continuously fueled by her connection to Spirit, her talking fish:D
Great work there Jewel, keep it up:thumbsup:
This whole deck is really different from most decks I work with (Fey, Cosmic Tribe, Victorian Romantic) both in art and in approach. That is why I chose this deck, to get to know it and see if I would like it. Working with this card and other cards in other steps has tought me that yes, I definetly like and will keep this deck.

She has added A LOT of depth of meaning to what the Star is to me as well, and the biggest thing she has tought me is that earth is also connected to the heavens. She is probably my favorite Star card ever, and I never thought I would say that. I like the art, but there are other much prettier stars in many other decks.

This card makes earth a very tangible part of the heavens or we could say makes the heavens a little less distant than we think. I think in the metaphor exercise "Slice of heaven" was something I used, thanks to your comments I think a better way to phrase that is "Heaven on Earth" which is a true metaphor, something I was having a terrible time coming up with during the exercise.

I love the idea of the talking fish being her connection to Spirit. I will have to borrow that if you do not mind! Makes so much sense!!!

Thank you so much for your comments and encouragement! By the way, I really like what you are doing with the 5 of Swords! It makes the card seem so much approachable now!

Jewel

First of all, thank you all for chiming in and commenting this is really helpful to me, and I will try to do the same now that I am cought up and have a "couple of days" as Dave put it ;)

dadsnook2000 said:
For part 2) you noted that there were "no objects." It is possible that the book was not meant to be taken so literal. If so, the "objects" would be the vines and flowers and fish and water's edge. Should these objects be taken as a single object -- nature -- how would that play into your card's message of "hope"?
I thought really hard about that, and to me "objects" are things, and nature to me is not a thing. So after internally debating that for long while I decided there were no objects in my card. That in and of itself led me down a whole nother trail which I really enjoyed, which was that it removed the Star from the mundane, put it back in its celestial realm though blended with earthy nature, a gift of the gods so to speak. The realization of no objects was quite profound to me. So I did not dismiss it lightly. I think what you say would be just as valid, but for me the no object approach works best with what I have learned from this card in this deck.

dadsnook2000 said:
Just curious. The STAR card in many decks are often quite beautiful but their portrayal of a message is sometimes indistinct relative to the word "Hope." Could you see this image as also suggesting "being at peace within ones own natural environment?" Or, "Seeking and reveling in an unhurried pace within comforting surroundings?" Or, "recognizing that we are part human, part god, part mother earth, part universe and that this sense of connectedness should lead us to a path of seeking greater perspective and a diminution of daily and petty concerns?"
ABSOLUTLY!!!! That is what she has revealed to me in the various Steps and she carries all of these meanings to me, as noted or described in other Steps. My statement about the card meaning hope, referred to "if I had to describe the card in one word", but I think she we will carry a different meaning (like those you noted) depending on the question, where she comes up in a spread, and what cards are surrounding her if any.

dadsnook2000 said:
Part of what I learning from all of these exercises is to stretch my views of possible meanings, possible messages from both individual and grouped symbols. My reaction to "busy" cards tis distill the objects or symbols in to one or a few grouped symbols or collective meanings. For some cards, I find that there can two/more meaning-directions within it. Then the surrounding cards in a spread or the card-position in the spread adds more richness. Perhaps you and others will want to discuss these approaches.
I think that would be excellent and I would love to. It is a real honor to be able to learn along side you all. I feel quite privilaged.

rachelcat

Hi, study group folks! I am so impressed and cheered by all our new studiers, and by all the helpfulness and encouragement going on. (All I can seem to get done is writing my exercises in my notebook and NOT getting them typed into the forums on time!) SO--Welcome and thanks to all. I look forward to all of your posts!

Here is my Step 13 -- Symbols

Manga Tarot 4 Wands

Symbol/word for autumn, red and yellow colors symbolize fruition, abundance, warmth, endings
Used for labeling each card with a season!
Literally: Our 25th wedding anniversary is coming up in October. It's always our favorite time of year.
Reminds me of going back to school and work with renewed energy. (Hmm, endings AND beginnings . . .)

Wands (bamboo poles) symbolize energy, fire, action, will, doing
Used for holidng up tents, plants, wedding canopy, also used for pole vaulting, fighting, walking stick, fence
Literally: It's spring, and my husband, the gardener, is staking up bushes every day!
Reminds me of Robin Hood and Little John's quarterstaffs (staves?) for fighting

Four symbolizes stability, mercy, fulness/expansion
Used for counting, quarters and quarter hours!
Literally: My husband collects quarters and my boss records her time in quarter hours!
Reminds me that I'm (well) over 40 years old.

Pink symbolizes love, emotions, femininity, baby girl, sunrise
Used for baby gifts and girl's stuff, flowers, spring decor.
Literally: My yard is full of azaleas in all shades, mostly pink. My favorite azalea is pink, and it's variety is called "Dayspring."
Reminds me that maybe someday I'll have a granddaughter. (Currently have one 20-year-old son.)

Flower crown and lotuses on dress symbolize life, new life, spring, growth. Lotuses symbolize purity and spiritual growth.
Used for gifts of love, decoration, beauty, sometimes food, fruit trees, etc.
Literally: See above about my yard! Mother's Day is coming, so I should get some flowers for my mom.
Reminds me that I got flowers recently for Secretary's Day, and before that when I was in the hospital, and before that when my father passed away.

Hearts symbolize love, innocent love, gifts, acknowledgement of feelings (valentines)

Hands symbolize helping, work, applause, waving
Used for same.
Literally: The other day I fell and hurt the ring finger on my right hand. The pain I still feel when using it makes me realize I use my right hand for just about everything!
Reminds me of holding hands for reassurance.

Red hair symbolizes a tempermental person with strong emotions, strong passions, a showy person
Used for adornment.
Literally: I saw a TV ad for haircolor that doesn't look artificial. I am steadfastly against coloring hair, mostly for that reason.
Reminds me of an I Love Lucy episode in which people thought she colored her hair red.

Smiling symbolizes happiness, but also trying to please and trying to attract.
Used to show we're happy, for reassurance, encouragement, etc.
Literally: ?
Reminds me of smiling to encourage myself. Like whistling a happy tune.

Girl symbolizes femininity, innocence, sexuality, vulnerability, attraction
Used for ????
Reminds me of wishes for second chances and things I could have done better in my youth.

Dancing symbolizes happiness, ritual and celebration, sexuality, self-expression
Used for self-expression and social interaction
Reminds me of my son in Junior Cotillion. (All the eighth grade boys and girls in our neighborhood take classes in social deportment and dancing.)

Themes:

Femininity and all it means. Socially enforced ideas of innocence and vulnerability juxtaposed with allure and entrapment AND sensuality and sexuality. You must forgive me, I was steeped in mid-80s feminist concepts! Society has projected so much onto young women, both good and bad, including the innocence they want to see, the sensuality they desire, and the power of both to trap them. Shakespeare knew what women want before Freud asked! Their own sovereignity! Alot of these other ideas come from the outside and girls and women just soak it up automatically.

Nature. Often associated in society with women/femininity, it is both beautiful and dangerous.

Beginnings and endings. New life and old life. Living and dying. Obviously a major theme of tarot, but I didn't really recognize it in 4 Wands, until now!

Wow, I would hate for a Freudian to get hold of this! I seem to have some unresolved issues unrelated to my stated issues. No matter how old I get, I am still wondering just what kind of person I am. And what it means to be a woman, a woman who feels close to the natural world and her family. And what it means to be a middle-aged woman. Hmmm...

Jewel

rachelcat said:
Wow, I would hate for a Freudian to get hold of this! I seem to have some unresolved issues unrelated to my stated issues. No matter how old I get, I am still wondering just what kind of person I am. And what it means to be a woman, a woman who feels close to the natural world and her family. And what it means to be a middle-aged woman. Hmmm...
From your post we must be simlar in age, and I think that the questioning you mention is quite natural for us, you are not alone :)

I do not have the Manga deck so I am not quite sure what your card is like but from your description I did pick up on the femininity and a great use of colors and flowers in the symbolism. During the Victorian times the language of flowers was quite used and I am wondering if this deck goes back to that in any manner ... just an idea of something else to explore for fun if you want :D

rachelcat

Hi, Jewel. Yeah, the age thing is with me all the time now. Not so much that I feel old or unattractive or decrepit. More like I can't be thinking about what I want to be when I grow up anymore--I need to start thinking about what I want to accomplish in the life I have left. Well, I guess it's better to be thinking about it now than when I'm 60 or 70!

I am going to try to get it together to post a scan of the card. It is beautiful. One of the things that attracted me to the card is the the lotuses on the dancer's skirt because I love the symbolism of the lotus in Buddhism.

And the card gives me a strong springtime feel even though the creator's system gives it an autumn attribution. Which really ties into the whole "first day of the rest of life" idea, huh?

I've seen some of your posts on the Victorian Flower Oracle. I tried to do some research on the language of flowers, but it is so variable. But fascinating, too, isn't it?

Thanks for your note! Well, time to move on to step 14!

dadsnook2000

For rachelcat and jewel

Don't worry about your age and what you plan on doing, or need to do now, or even should have done. I'm 70 and still launching new projects. I'm trying to figure out how to retire from retirement. Oh, and I still am looking for the 30 hour watch so I can have more time in the day. Dave
PS, I really enjoy your posts and readings.

nicki

21 ways to read a tarot card - step 13

Step 13 ~ Symbols

Step 13.1 List the symbols appearing on your chosen card.

**large hooded figure dressed in long flowing robes, he dominates the card but I don’t think he is menacing (I wasn’t sure in the beginning), I think he is conducting the marriage service.
**dark man dressed in yellow robes and fair woman dressed in orange robes, both wear crowns, I now think this is the Emperor and Empress in the uniting of opposites.
**there are staves in the background shaped like an entrance to a church (not sure of their significance).
** 2 naked figures in each top corner of the card, at first I thought these were 2 women but now realise they are probably a man and woman.
**cupid between the 2 naked figures and above the hooded figure.
**2 children one fair and one dark, they hold in their hands a club, a chalice, flowers and a spear?
**a red lion and white eagle, probably another twist on the male/female perspective.
**a serpent wrapped around an egg.

Step 13.2 What are the objects used for?

I think the symbols are used mainly to depict the uniting of opposites as everything except the hood figure comes in pairs meeting their opposites. Perhaps that we can learn more about ourselves if we look at our opposite or the partner we choose? Even feeling the opposite feelings and emotions (which is something I hadn’t thought of). I know that the Thoth Tarot is filled with symbolism but I haven’t delved too deeply into this as I didn’t want to have any pre-conceived ideas when I started these steps.

Step 13.3 Where have these symbols appeared literally, either in relation to your issue of just recently.

Not 100% sure what to answer here, but I would guess it would be the uniting aspect of the card. Working together to show a united front to those who doubt!!

Step 13.4 Do any of them remind you of anything else?

I think they remind us of that whatever the obstacles and differences we can find a common factor and build on that foundation. We must experience the whole spectrum of emotions attraction, jealousy, unity and separation.

Step 13.5 Recurring themes, comment on these.

Again, the union of opposites, man & woman, black and white.

nicki