21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- step THIRTEEN

coyoteblack

nice job on the symbols , instead of nit picking each symbol you saw the big picture and went with it. real clear and concise.

Jewel

For Nicki

Nicki, I think it is great that you have chosen to tackle a card from the Thoth deck with no preconceived notions. I have read the Lon Milo Duquette book, and I think you are picking up more than you think :). The Lion and Eagle are alchemy symbols/colors if I recall. And one of the interesting things is that in the Art card I think, they reverse in color and it is all about the unity of them. The egg is a whole other theme in this deck, and starts off in the Fool card and ends in the Universe card. You may want to read the Lon Milo Duquette book when you have completed all of your work with 21 Ways (the Adept level included hopefully). I think you will find that you will come to the book with a great headstart on the deck, and it will simply add names and details to much of what you have picked up on your own. Great job!

nicki

for jewel, i will have a look for the book thank you, I have the mirror of the soul book by gerd ziegler that came with my deck. I almost shyed away from using the Thoth Deck at first but i'm glad I stuck with it.

onto step 14!!

nicki

Starling

RWS - 9 of Pentacles

Purple grapes ready to harvest.
Green leaves.
A red and yellow dress with a "rose" pattern.
A red hat.
A yellow leather glove intended for protection.
A falcon in a red hood.
A yellow sky.
Two trees, one on either side of the card, like the pair of pillars found on several of the Major Arcana cards.

The purple grapes, the pentacles set up as if they were growing, and the green leaves are symbols of wealth and prosperity. They are the harvest that the hard work of the earlier cards in this suit show. I know the sky colors have to have meaning, but I am not sure what they are.

I found the falcon very interesting because he is "caged" and kept from flying away. He is s symbol of the Lady's wealth and position. He is also a reminder that the garden, that symbolizes the good things in life, can also be a cage.

In several cards the single figure in the card stands or sits between two pillars. The single figure in this card stands in the foreground. In the background are two trees, one on either side of her. The twin pillars seem to stand for a bunch of things including simple duality of any kind but especially male/female and The Tree of Life.

Verdi

21 steps step 13

21 ways step 13.

DruidCraft, The Hermit. Not looking a books before I do this :)

¼ moon, open to the right; the moon ebbs and lows like our spiritual life. , its mysterious and the feminine
A three colored sky, light blue, lighter blue and gray clouds, a sunset/sun rise; blue is cold, intellect. Sunset/rise is warm and the bringer of new things and the endings of things.
Clouds are choppy tinged on the edges a darker colour, perhaps meaning unruly times, times are calming down, which is change.
The far-off landscape is partially flat with mountain range. Seeing afar, looking into the future, journey to reach them. Mysterious.
In foreground a stony path going somewhere, on a cliff edge: must not fall down, on edge, hidden depths, A journey into the unknown
An old man stands hold a staff: wisdom, experience, knowing, frail, keeping steady, firm and resolute.
He has long grey beard; wisdom, what’s important is not looks but the inner self.
He is wearing a slightly tattered brown vestment with hood covering eyes: worldly good not important, the spiritual more important, brown is the earth, earthly, grounded, in touch with nature, secret and unknown.
In his right hand at a stretch he is holding a lantern. Showing the way, offering guidance, strength,
The lantern has 2 panes that show a yellow light; enlightened, giving warmth, giving insight.
The lantern does not spread light; contained enlightenment, spiritual light,
A dark wolf stands by, with piercing eyes; strength, control (wolf under control), insight, nothing hidden, nature, a guide dog, alert to danger.

Looked at book, see I missed a bit. But got some right :) I love this section and will use adept section a lot now.

13.2 The object here is the lantern and the staff. The lantern seems to lead the way, but there is no light flowing from it, but the light is contained within the lamp. A spiritual light. The staff is usually used when going on long walks so it must be a journey. The journey and the spirit would indicate a symbolic journey into the inner spirit, looking for enlightenment.

13.3: I wrote last time that I was looking into stopping putting things off. I have also being looking into my inner self, who am i? Big question, but the Hermit seems just right for this. I have been lighting a lot of candles recently. I love this new crystal tea light holder I’ve got; it’s a ball with swirling white ribbons in it. The ambient light reminds me so much of the lantern. Not strictly literal, but almost.

13.4. I think these symbols remind us of the need for wisdom about ourselves, about how material things in the end are not important. It is knowing yourself that gives life. life

13.5. The reoccurring themes were I believe: change, spirituality, control, guidance, and wisdom:
Change must come if we are to gain wisdom about ourselves, through guidance and self control will we achieve greater inner spirituality.

I think I will try this with all the cards :) Learned so much.

Starling

Welcome to step 13. A lot of people have started the study since I did, but you are the first to catch up with me.

I found the entire process extremely useful and learned a lot. It looks like you are feeling the same way. I'll be glad to see what you do with the rest of the steps.

Verdi

Thanks for the encouragement Starling. I am a bit between groups it seems, lol. But i will keep going!
Verdi

dadsnook2000

For Verdi

I'm also using the Hermit, although my Hermit's symbols is so much different. This is a fascinating card in any case. I'm happy to see that you are bringing out so much understanding for yourself in these exercises. Take things at whatever pace you please -- we at the Adept Level are just now on step eight and are proceeding at a slower pace. I expect we'll see you there in another five or six weeks. Dave

Prism

I switched cards...

Today, I started to do Step 13 with the Hermit, and he didn't have any more to say to me. So I did the three-card exercise from Step One again, asking what I needed to look at in my life right now, and I drew three majors (still using the Tarot of Prague) -- The World, Strength and Justice. Seems like there's a lot going on vis-a-vis archetypal forces for me today. I chose The World as my new card. Today my son is taking an admissions test that could make his final two years of high school a much happier experience than his first two have been. I'm hoping this card is a good sign! In any case, it was the first card I drew, and I am drawn to it. Who wouldn't be? It shows a happy woman partially clothed in white, dancing and holding two wands above her head. She is up in the clouds and inside a wreath of laurel leaves. Four golden creatures are in the four corners of the card.

I did this exercise without looking anything up.

13:1 Symbols in The World

Two red and gold wands pointing up: Two can symbolize the unity of opposites, such as earth and spirit. Red can symbolize passion, the life force. Gold can symbolize wealth, success. The fact that the wands are pointing upwards could mean spiritual development. They actually look like lit candles, which could mean fire in the forms of guidance and creativity.

One foot up and one foot down: A connection to the physical world and the spiritual world.

White garment: Purity, innocence, virginity, the life of the spirit.

Wreath of golden laurel leaves: Victory, success, an opening back into the physical world, rebirth.

Four golden creatures. I know these represent the four suits/elements, but I'm a little confused because I don't know my symbolism like I should. The fact that they are golden indicates that they have reached their most perfected state:

Lion: Wands, fire, passion, courage, creativity

Bull: Pentacles, earth, work, patience, health, study

Eagle: Swords, air, communication, problem-solving, fairness

Man holding water: Cups, water, emotions, inspiration

(I'm adding this later. I looked up the card in the TofP book and found out that I was wrong. The eagle actually represents water. I have no idea why. I obviously need to get a good symbology book. The man represents air.)

What are the objects used for: The wands are really the only objects. They are used to create magic.

I'm hoping that the wands mean that my son will have the best of luck on his test! In relation to my own life, they symbolize my creativity and knowledge that I am hoping to be able to tap into and take out into the world where I hope to find a new work situation that I will find more involving that my current job.

The wands remind me of the Hermit's lantern.

squeakmo9

Prism said:
Lion: Wands, fire, passion, courage, creativity

Bull: Pentacles, earth, work, patience, health, study

Eagle: Swords, air, communication, problem-solving, fairness

Man holding water: Cups, water, emotions, inspiration

(I'm adding this later. I looked up the card in the TofP book and found out that I was wrong. The eagle actually represents water. I have no idea why. I obviously need to get a good symbology book. The man represents air.)
I believe that's the 4 fixed signs of the zodiac, Prism...the eagle is Scorpio(water sign)the man is Aquarius(air sign), Lion-Leo(fire), Taurus is the bull(earth sign).
:)