21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step EIGHTTEEN

dadsnook2000

The Fey FOOL -- step 18

I am the Fool. I have been strolling along by myself and have come across a most amazing find. It is a pumpkin with a scowling face carved into it. A candle inside cast a bright glow through the pumpkin's features. I kneel here just looking at this thing. What is it really all about? Who left it? It almost takes my breath away.

Wait. I hear foot steps. A silly looking fellow appears, dressed in crazy clothes and dragging a giant pentacle which he is chained to. In some ways he looks like me yet his face is perplexed -- not because of being surprised but by the difficulty in pulling his large pentacle.

Another figure enters the glow cast by the pumpkin. "Hello, I am the Empress." She is certainly attractive, very kind and comfortable looking. "You are the Fool," she says, "and this is Four Pentacles." Whoa, thought the Fool, we all have names! I didn't know that. "I want that" says Four. "I found it," I say. "Oh, let him have it, he wants everything," says Empress. "Come with me, there is much more out there to see and its all there as you need it" says Empress. I leave Four, following the Empress, eager to see what else is out there.

The above came to me as I tried to put myself into the card. The Fool has to meet others at some point. What will happen with the Pumpkin; will he leave it, take it, or will someone else want it? The card just shrikes of "discovery" and "curiosity." I can't see the situation in the card can stay as it is, something just has to happen. The first thought that came as I looked at the Fool happy over his find is that someone else has to just come along that he might share this with. I have a nasty mind, so the Four of Pentacles had to just pop up in my thoughts, someone who would want what the Fool had. Since every coin has three sides -- in this case, "have", "want" and "solution" -- someone else had to pop in. The Empress.

This playful insertion of self into the Fools situation is a logical continuation of drawing and feeling the Fool in previous steps. Nothing is static. It now seems "just right" to me that more things were implied in a situation in which only one entity existed, and in which a discovery of some unknown significance was made. The situation had to expand, had to change and enlarge. It's as if it takes other people and the passage of time to bring perspective and movement forward. I just brought that to the card.

This step was not one of restating the card's figure in an image that I felt comfortable with, it was not feeling the awe and curiousity of discovery, this was a "power projection" in which I brought change to the card in a meaningful way. Discovery, claim, hold, yield, gain something else -- all of this as a way of moving forward and in high contrast to see, want, grab, hold, keep, increase the burden -- as was Four's approach to the situation.

So, even if I don't consider any cards to either side of the Fool (or any other card) I now realize that each card has its own one/many possible ways to move forward or to change. No image is any longer static to me. The cards do have to take on the qualities of the Harry Potter photographs, they have to move and have momentum of their own.
Dave

coyoteblack

The Star Tarot of Dreams

The only figure in the card is the lady pouring light unto a large body of water on planet earth.

As I entered the card I asked if it was ok to become the lady star. She smiled! as if so say No problem.

when I ' became " her I was in awe she feels everything i think she gives up so she can also feel hope. The emotion I felt most was Hope she really wanted for the light she as pouring to reach someone.

She was talking to the vassels and she said "I hope they wake up " then she said ' we have some hope to bring" and the vessales said " we have thanks to give". I also just noticed there is a captial " C" on one vassel and a captial "M" on another.

I was staring at a candle and I asked her to pour some light on my candle she said " I already did"

I also got the feeling she was not on solid footing but she also did not need it .

I think she needs us to feel hope for all of our sake.

I want to write more but i think if I do it will be forcing this and I do not want that a lot of this card is about initiation not in the same way as the high priestess but in a different way i am just not sure what to make of some of this.

Jewel

For Dadsnook

I LOVED the entry of your 4 of pentacles ~giggles~ ... when he asked for the pumpkin, and the Empress said he wants everything I almost fell out of my chair. Good thing the 4 of pentacles did not want the Fools keys ~chuckles~. Thanks for the laugh I really needed that today.

Jewel

coyoteblack said:
I want to write more but i think if I do it will be forcing this and I do not want that a lot of this card is about initiation not in the same way as the high priestess but in a different way i am just not sure what to make of some of this.
As we have both come to know the Star you know there is no need to force it. It will come when the time is right. When you are ready, it will come. I agree with you about the feeling of initiation and that it is different than the HP, but very spiritual all the same. I never knew this card could mean so much. It calls for hope, yet for inner strength and self reliance too. It is the calm after the storm. It is the product of our choices and being able to take hope from our own actions. It is the light inside of each of us.

rachelcat

Hi. Catching up, as usual.

This is so interesting. I did step 17 two weeks ago and really didn't remember it at all. I didn't read it before I did step 18 today. I had completely forgotten I had changed my main character from an accomplished, flirtatious dancer to a little girl. I did it for my imagination, too.

It took me so long to continue to this step because I couldn't get started. I couldn't figure out how it was different than storytelling, dialoging and embodiment. So I decided to imagine a secondary character in the card to change it up a bit. So here it goes.

I'm a little girl so excited about going to the festival. It's outdoors so I'm wearing sturdy sandals and shorts. Nothing too feminine. We get there and there are so many things to do. Pony rides, games to win prizes, etc. And food and sweets. I want it all and I can't decide what I want first! But my parents pull me over to a grassy area in front of an empty stage. They let me run around in the grass some, but when the music starts, I have to sit on the blanket and be quiet. Then a young lady comes out on stage and starts to dance. My parents press a handful of confetti in my hand and lead me up closer to the stage. They seem so happy and excited, smiling and laughing, and they throw their confetti. So I throw mine, too. It looks pretty floating down in the breeze, but I'm getting a little bored. What about all those games and food? I slip off to the grassy place again but don't want to be out of sight of my parents, so I hang around there. Gradually, the music seeps into my consciousness and I close my eyes and start to move.

I let the music surround me and enter me and move me. The cool breeze and the dappled sun on my face become part of the music, part of the dance.

The applause and end of the music brings me back to myself. I open my eyes and look around. Other children are spinning, dancing, and scooping up the confetti and throwing it over themselves.

I looked and saw my parents reclining on the blanket watching me with much more love and admiration in their eyes than they ever had for the stage dancer. I ran and jumped on them and my mom playfully threw a little confetti over me. I was home. I was loved.

My dad said, "are you hungry?" And we got up, folded our blanket, and went to stand in the french fries line.

For many days and nights, whenever I closed my eyes, the music flooded into my soul again.

Where did all this come from and where is it going? I think I'm done with the center of attention and sexuality/femininity theme, so my character is a child.

Which leads to: My birthday is tomorrow. My dad's was two days ago. It will be exactly 7 months since he passed away. He would have been 78. We're both Cancers, so we really didn't have much to say to each other, but I always liked being mentioned as and thought of as the most like him among us three kids, both in personality and appearance.

I'm guess I'm still getting used to the idea that he's gone. Up til now I've been more focused on helping out my mom and making sure she's ok. Now I guess I have to deal with my own feeling about it. I'm not sad. I guess I just feel a little bad about taking him for granted all this time, but I know he understood. He was just such a laid back, sweet person. That's why I love him! Well, one of the reasons.

I'm glad this is coming out in my studies. I also felt a little guilty about not dwelling on it very much in my daily life, but I see that it's there, so that's good.

Jewel

rachelcat said:
I'm guess I'm still getting used to the idea that he's gone. Up til now I've been more focused on helping out my mom and making sure she's ok. Now I guess I have to deal with my own feeling about it. I'm not sad. I guess I just feel a little bad about taking him for granted all this time, but I know he understood. He was just such a laid back, sweet person. That's why I love him! Well, one of the reasons.

I'm glad this is coming out in my studies. I also felt a little guilty about not dwelling on it very much in my daily life, but I see that it's there, so that's good.
((((Rachelcat))))) It sounds to me that you are processing your grief just the way your dad would have liked. At your own pace, and taking care of yourself and mom. Don't feel guilt, just feel the love and give love.

rachelcat

Jewel, thanks so much for your hugs and your kind words. You are so right that I should deal with this as he would want me to and as he would have--calm, family-centered, and practical. Thanks again!

squeakmo9

18:1
RWS 5 of Swords

Imagine you are a figure on the card, are you standing, sitting, or lying down?

I’m standing.

What are you holding?

With my right, I clutch at my orange cloak, and with my left, it rests atop of my lower abdomen. I hold it firmly there as if I need it to breath. I’m glad I have my hands occupied since I feel a bit nervous. To have them rest in this manner helps to steady me.

What gesture are you making?

None that anyone will take notice. I don’t want them to see my fear, however little.

How do you feel?

Winded, a bit lightheaded to tell you the truth, and still a little shocked.

What is the relationship with the other beings or things in the card?

I know one person is in front of me. I can see him. Another person is in back of me, and I can feel his eyes upon me. Personally they have become the inanimate. I only take an interest in the nature before me. The movement of the water. The light as it plays upon it. The entrancing manner on which the colors shift from violet to crystal blue. The sound as it rushes by. I can feel the wind move through me with its clouds up ahead. My perspective changes with the changing sky, I feel as if I’m being absorbed by it all.

Is there something that you want or need?

I’d like to have a place to sit, perhaps get closer to the water.

What are you going to do next?

I turn to look at the ground, my feet firmly planted upon it. Turning to my right, I will walk a ways, looking, every so often, to the water on my left. I will follow it as far as I can, home.

Well I really did feel lightheaded especially when I looked at the water and sky. Very peaceful feeling, like a lull. I could hear the water rushing by and it was calming. Nothing seemed to matter except the moment. The other people became background, secondary. The background (nature) took center stage because it allowed me to place my focus from “them” to my own inner sense of truth.

nicki

21 ways to read a tarot card - Step 18

Step 18.1

I am the Empress in the card and I am standing looking at my husband to be. My right hand is holding the Emperor’s hand and in my left hand I hold a golden chalice. I feel happy and content as it’s my wedding day, but also slightly apprehensive to what lies ahead.

I have no relationship to anyone in the card except for the Emperor, although the Hermit who is conducting the wedding looks daunting I think his bark is worse than his bite. Out of the corner of my eye I can see cupid, which is a nice touch. There are quite a few animals scattered around not sure what the point of them is but I’m sure they are important. I like the fact that there are children here, it gives a nice feel to the proceedings having children around seems to lighten the mood and not make things as stuffy. I have everything I could possibly want and don’t feel the need to have things just for the sake of it.

Step 18.2

I really enjoyed being the Empress in this card as it allowed me to look the card from a different perspective. I enjoyed her being the centre of attention for once instead of the Hermit, I felt it let me look at the card from a female point of view. I quite liked the fact that she didn’t really know what the point of the animals were but she knew they needed to be there.

nicki

Verdi

21 ways step 18

Druidcraft.
The Hermit

I am standing on the path looking out over the valley. My wolf Argon is standing beside me. His heat I feel through my robes. I feel his alertness and ask him what he sees. Argon tells me that the path is clear, no dangers ahead. My left hand holds my staff, I feel its power. The rough edges feel safe and strong. It weight is just right to use, though sometimes I wish it was a broom stick to carry me aloft and fast. My bones do get a bit tired you see. I hold up my lantern. Though it sheds no light I see far into the darkness. I see the wisps of love, the waves of anger and the sparks of hatred. It shows the way alright. Sometimes I wish it would just show harmony and peace – no such luck me thinks. I can feel some hatred over the way. I see an old lady making some coffee; her eyes alight with envy, hatred and pain. Yes I will go to her and see if I can help. I better get Argon to change form to a dog, wouldn’t want the woman to get the jitters, bad enough I’m coming; they usually think its death a knocking. After I finished with them, some of them wish it had been. Mind you, they all thank me in the end, nothing like a bit of insight to get the juices flowing.

This was a lot different than the embodiment. I felt a need for a bit of humour ( I tried, lol). But it made the Hermit a bit more alive, friendly and better to know.

Verdi :)