Reviews of tarot decks and books (split from Wow! never had.. slating)

cirom

gregory said:
Thanks for this thread, mods. :)

I do find it can be very hard here to say you don't like a deck someone on this forum has created. Even when you want to be constructive and you have a seriously tarotical point to make, fans of the artist in question often descend like vultures and rip you to shreds.

Well I'm probably as guilty as any for making you and others feel that way, and my apologies for doing so. It is not, I repeat not my intention to limit what people say so much as plead for some tact in doing so. That's pretty much all I've ever said although I may have bored the pants off everyone doing it so often.

However may I add in my own defense that the vast majority of occasions where I've taken people to task on this issue, its been in defense of other artists not myself. While I read them all, I hardly ever respond to comments about my decks any more, good or bad (with the exception of the Legacy project, where I'm specifically responding to feedback that I requested).

But I am aware of the other side of the coin as well, and there are other artists who do not openly contribute to these forums, because they feel intimidated and less conformable than me with confrontation. How do I know this, because they contact me privately. I think aeclectic is the loser for their non participation.

So how can we have the best of both worlds? There can't be a rigid list of what can and can't be said, but may suggest the following guideline. By all means if someone wishes to share why they dislike a deck, or feel its weak, say so. But do so in using the same language and tone that you might had done had you been face to face with the artist.

So as an example saying they dislike a deck because its too dark, light, confusing, inaccurate relative to xyz criterea, are all valid. Even suggesting the artwork is weak or you simply don't like watercolors, oil, photographic, digital or the theme if its a themed deck.

But comments like its cheap and tacky, something any eight year old with a computer could do, only popular because the majority (other members) don't know better. These are unproductive and unnecessary. They upset me when they were directed at me, and they annoy me even when they are directed at others. Should they be censored? Personally I would prefer that they were, but if they are not (there are grey areas after all) then those throwing the stones should at least expect a reaction in kind.

Hooked on TdM

cirom said:
So how can we have the best of both worlds? There can't be a rigid list of what can and can't be said, but may suggest the following guideline. By all means if someone wishes to share why they dislike a deck, or feel its weak, say so. But do so in using the same language and tone that you might had done had you been face to face with the artist.

This I disagree with. We can't use a tone because tone is the voice infliction we use when speaking. Impossible to do with typing. Also different people have different ways of writing. Some have great skills with the written language, some do not. Some people are blunt, some are tactful, some are always cheery. It is very easy to take the written word, completely out of context in which the writer meant for it to be, and turn it into an insult. People are not robots. The written word should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe we should ask ourselves, am I over reacting to this? Am I inferring that they were trying to be mean? Am I assuming I know what intention the writer had? I know I've had moments where I've gotten pissy and taken something the wrong way. We are not all perfect, but some room for giving a person a chance needs to be given here.

cirom said:
So as an example saying they dislike a deck because its too dark, light, confusing, inaccurate relative to xyz criterea, are all valid. Even suggesting the artwork is weak or you simply don't like watercolors, oil, photographic, digital or the theme if its a themed deck.

But comments like its cheap and tacky, something any eight year old with a computer could do, only popular because the majority (other members) don't know better. These are unproductive and unnecessary. They upset me when they were directed at me, and they annoy me even when they are directed at others. Should they be censored? Personally I would prefer that they were, but if they are not (there are grey areas after all) then those throwing the stones should at least expect a reaction in kind.

I do agree that saying what you dislike is much better if you give the reasons why. I think it's going way overboard to censor what someone agrees with or doesn't just because another persons "feelings" may get hurt. Getting bombarded with "how dare you post your opinion because I don't like it", is just tasteless. I consider it one of the great things about being where I live, my opinion is mine and I have a right to it. If someone disagrees or agrees with me, that's just fine. However everyone has a right to their opinions. This censorship because the artist can't handle it, IMHO, its going way overboard.

Hooked

cirom

sravana said:
ETA:

Ciro, I'm amazed at how thin-skinned you appear to be. You have one of the top-selling and most sought-after decks in recent memory under your belt, and your Tarot of Dreams is haunting the dreams of many... yet when someone comments that they don't like the style of your art (or, like me, simply doesn't like CGI, no matter how skilled the artist), you write a book in response. .

I may indeed be thin skinned. I've always envied artists who are not or at least claim they are not. I care deeply about my work, put the very best I can into every facet of it.
So despite the "most sought after, and dream haunting" you refer to, its still uncomfortable to read some comments when they're particularly derogatory

But once again you seemed to have missed my point. I have no issue with you or anyone disliking my art and if you so desire, to say so. If you care to read the thread of my new project I trust you will note that I take critiques seriously, objectively and indeed have in several occasions actually changed the design of my images based on some dislikes mentioned by other members. I merely question in the context of these forums how those comments are made, and used examples of those I consider inappropriate.

As for my book length responses, I think that sarcasm is unfair, as I indicated they tend to be in defense of others not myself.

But your comment has struck a chord I must admit, I spend too much time going round in circles writing these points over and over. I never seem to get anywhere other than pissing people like you off. Good Lord I could have probably finished another deck with the same time rather than just discussing the nuances of how decks can best be criticized.

cirom

Hooked on TdM said:
This censorship because the artist can't handle it, IMHO, its going way overboard.
Hooked

Not that again?
If that is the only conclusion of what came across from everything I was trying to say. Then I obviously have no capacity whatsoever to make my a point in a written form or my point of view is the extreme minority.

I admit defeat on this one.

Scion

Huh.

Now, I'm a person of strong opinions. I know what I like and I tend to be explicit about my reasoning for same. I'm also a working artist who makes my living putting things out there that people are free to take a crap on... or not. If there is any artist on this earth who hasn't had a critical drubbing, then they haven't been doing it for very long. Goes with the territory.

I have a policy when I go to see any friend's show here in the city (theatre, dance, gallery, film, etc), I say two things: "thank you for inviting me," and "I had so much fun." If it's a performer I will add, "You looked handome/pretty/amazing up there," because they tend to be vain. I also have a rule about only being friends with talented people because I won't lie about that stuff. But with this policy goes a codicil, all of my friends know that if they actually want notes, they must call/meet me later, privately, and I'll give them, at length and in specific concrete examples. There is NO reason to bombard people with notes at emotional moments. It serves nothing. Unasked criticism is less than useless. Often, there's little use in offering criticism even when it's requested. I take notes very seriously and I am ALWAYS specific, because anything else is useless and damaging. When pressed, I tend to pick a single overall note that I think is critical, with supporting examples and then leave the artist to do their job. Because it is THEIR job, not mine.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that public "notes" are a pointless, poisonous nightmare, being a combination of unqualified "expertise" and artistic cowardice, because the person hasn't actually created anything but feels no compunction about helping you improve your work. Weird, no? Everyone knows how to "fix" something, but almost no one knows how to create something. Notes are inevitably someone else's vision... so the artist's hunger for notes becomes a kind of frantic grasping for driftwood when you feel like you're going under... But why would I want a stranger's handprints all over my work? Why ask for public notes? Ummm, maybe because approval is addictive and making bold choices is scary? The funny thing is I love notes, but any artist will tell you that you must cultivate a small group of people whose input is actually of some value and the hide of a rhinoceros so you can ignore everyone else until you know what you're doing.

I have to confess that for many years I have given the Tarot Creation subforum a wide berth. Truthfully, I don't think most people who post their work want criticism and no matter how many times people insist that they want "constructive" notes, in my experience that's a load of shite. They want to be encouraged and embraced. Um, duh? It took me years to figure out that the Tarot Creation subforum is actually more of a sketching club, with some obvious exceptions. That's fantastic, but it doesn't interest me at all. While qualifying art may be subjective, in fact most amateur art is, uh, amateurish. The word Art is used far too indiscriminately these days. I respect the subforum's presence, but it's not something in which I need to participate . Besides, the friends I have on AT who create decks deserve more from me than a public posting. If/when Karen or Ciro or whoever asks me for notes, I handle it the way I'd want to be handled: I look at the work and respond specifically and privately. Unless you are a patron paying the bills, public declarations during someone's creative process are best restricted to expectant enthusiasm or silence.

Now, I imagine loads of people are going to pop in and disagree that yes-yes-yes ALL notes are useful and general feedback can powerful. Bullshit. I think those exceptions prove the rule. The idea of taking blanket communal notes from a random audience is bizarre. Just my belief, but I think part of being an artist is acting with authority. If I need 15 strangers to come hold my hand to decide on a word choice I'm in deep doo-doo. People make helpful suggestions, and I have had good comments from passers-by, but frankly I can count those instances over the past 20 years on 2 hands. Nonartists can only respond to what you have done, not what you were trying to do, so comments on unfinished work are inevitably destructive... and on finished work serve only as a kind of helpful tombstone. When I take input it's from my keep-it-real crew; those notes carry major weight with me because those few friends have earned my respect and gratitude. It is my job to know what the hell I'm doing, and if I don't, then it's my job to take the bollocking. Art does not happen by committee.

Censorship gives me the heebs on principle, but this is a private forum. Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Ciro means "censorship" as much as "politesse" or "mindfulness." Still, so long as people are abiding by the rules of conduct, I think they should be able to post their thoughts. That doesn't mean I have to think their thoughts are thoughtful! If someone says something awful about my work on here, bummer, but then the reason I write is because I believe that more people like my stuff than hate it. If I don't believe that, then I might as well lump it. Writing is a bit different, but I wouldn't in a million years show something half-finished to my producers or my audience because it would be silly and disruptive. I get better because I want to say things more clearly and people pay me to learn from my own mistakes. Now, a primary reason to share art before it's finished is to excite interest and feel your way through a challenge that you haven't quite solved. Ciro's and Karen's and poor Ric's patience with input is oceanic! I could never be as gracious as they are. And all of them have a line at which they say, "Enough! This is my art; it's my decision." I think that their "Enough" is actually the thing that makes them artists. Art is choices. Maybe I'm a hardass or a mule, but I just don't think anyone signs on to AT expecting some random member to "crack" an artistic problem for them in passing. If they do, I'm not sure what that says about their ability, confidence, or sanity. And in case anyone posting a helpful criticism believes they're "fixing" someone else's work, they should know that they're not. At best, they're reminding the artist to find their own solutions. Art by committee always winds up looking like a bus station.

Secondarily, everything isn't always sunshine and orchids. I KNOW that there's a lot of tiptoeing and mushmouthing around topics on AT because everyone would rather walk on eggshells than hurt feelings. I'm not an eggshell person, but neither do I need to stomp on people who aren't asking for it. I recently stomped hard on Arrien's Thoth book because I think it is a worthless, reckless piece of twaddle that misleads the unwary. But I supported that informal "review" with citations. For all my critical ire, it wasn't personal, and I bent over backwards to support all my points. That didn't stop emotions running high. But if we all only say nice things then eventually we're all actually smiling and lying to each other, because sometimes things suck and people are rotten.

Listen, criticism hurts... Rejection sucks. Word! But they are the artist's oxygen. We don't have to love it, but we have to live with it. And frankly, if we ask for it than we have to take our lumps. The obvious answer is to not invite criticism until you want it, and not ask people whose opinion you don't respect. The idea that artists lurk at the edges of a forum afraid to talk to people about ANY topic because their work might be criticized seems... extreme. Mostly, I imagine people are busy and the internet plays different roles in different lives. Ciro and Ric and Karen and Kat (and many others) have let us behind the curtain, to our pleasure and edification, but that's their choice. Each has found a way to balance any unfair criticism with the positive experience on AT. If there are artists not participating in the forum because they are leery of criticism, then I'd ask what they were planning on posting that would have compromised their creation. Can they not have a conversation outside of their creative output? And if not, why are they compelled to post the blow-by-blow of their process? There's no law that says anyone MUST report on a project. And there's certainly no requirement that they listen to "helpful" input from complete strangers.

Anyways, obvious a personally resonant topic and one that I've thought about, oh, constantly since I was about 12. Sorry to go on, but I wanted to raise a couple of other points...

:)

Scion

Hooked on TdM

Wow, Scion. Excellent read.

Personally, I don't critique decks. However it's not because I'm afraid of hurting someone's feelings or even a backlash if it's negative. I simply don't because the only interest I really have is in the decks that I love, or those that my friends and family love. If I don't like a deck I don't look at it. lol I also have my own type of taste and it's definitely very unusual.

I really don't worry about hurting someone's feelings. I know that sounds so callous doesn't it? However I know that no matter what I do, I am going to get my feelings hurt and hurt someone else's many times in my life. I do the best I can to be nice, respectful but honest. If that hurts someone's feelings, well I tried. If my feelings get hurt, I deal with it as best I can.

I also don't really worry about backlash on here. I have posted my opinion on other matters, that was decidedly negative. I have gotten replies trying to change my mind or explain how my thinking is skewed or whatever. I don't even bother to reply. I said my piece, and I won't change my mind because someone disagrees. In my perfect world, this is how it works.. I don't live in my perfect world. LOL

I also am a creator just not of Tarot. I have heard many interesting opinions on what I create from negative to positive. I don't argue if someone dislikes my stuff. That is their taste not mine. Nor do I change what I create because someone would rather see it done a different way. If thats what they want then they can make it themselves. I do ask questions though and have I got some very interesting reasons over the years! I have learned more from further enquiring, which I like.

To be honest, it's a bit beyond me why all this pussy footing takes place. I really don't understand it. Mind you, I'm a rather blunt person who is very stubborn.. LOL that might have to do with my thickness on this on.

Going to shut up now...

Hooked

cirom

Scion said:
Censorship gives me the heebs on principle, but this is a private forum. Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Ciro means "censorship" as much as "politesse" or "mindfulness."
Scion

Damn !!!!! I wish I could write like you. That is exactly what I meant. But I will also shut up. I have a deck to finish.

sacredashes

What I gathered from cirom's post here and in other threads is not that there is anything wrong with people sharing their opinions.

It quite alright to share personal opinions about what you, me or anyone thinks about a certain deck. Whether it is the artwork, the theme of the deck, the medium used, the symbology, combination of esoteric philosophies.. whatever the reviewer wishes to comment on about the deck.... its alright not to like anything or everything about it. Its quite all right to hate someone's work with every ounce of our being because we can't help feeling that way about somethings.

But the message that I think cirom and a few other posters are trying to convey is that, to share an opinion is fine... to do so in a derogatory manner with little regard for the feelings of the artist, is that necessary... or helpful?

Because if that is, then we can all do away with the niceties and go straight to the bashing; hiding behind an indemnity that protects anything we say as "honest opinions". On the other hand, artists putting up their work are sharing something they created; but they need not lie down and play floor mat to people who share cruel comments with no basis to justify them other than it's just "an opinion". Those remarks, really... the reviewer can keep because opinions like those serve no purpose other than to put someone else down and IMO, noone (even the loftiest of the loftiest amongst us) holds exclusive rights to do that.

Freedom of expression is important. It need not come with censorship but in a lot of places it does and censorship comes in different forms; from conditions of being a member, accepted behavior within the community, limits to what is tolerated and these are all grey areas because what is accepted to some may not be acceptable to all. Its when that freedom is abused or bordering on being abused, then perhaps censorship ought to be imposed. Not to stop people from saying what they wish to say but to regulate the way its being said because if we can't do it ourselves, then maybe someone really should do it for us.

Ash

gregory

Scion said:
Truthfully, I don't think most people who post their work want criticism and no matter how many times people insist that they want "constructive" notes, in my experience that's a load of shite. They want to be encouraged and embraced.
This is rather how I've come to feel. The trouble is that threads start up all over about decks that ARE out there by forum members. And when something is in the open - it will attract comments. And if someone posts should I get it, is it nice....

It is my job to know what the hell I'm doing, and if I don't, then it's my job to take the bollocking. Art does not happen by committee.
Brilliant. I never thought of it like that.

Still, so long as people are abiding by the rules of conduct, I think they should be able to post their thoughts.
I feel very strongly about this. As is :| rather well known :| I am not fond of modding at all. And as is perhaps less well known, this is because as long as we have modding, people tend not to think as carefully as they might before they post.

There are two things about this - one - that few people get their often vicious - and I'm afraid occasionally deliberately so - point across to others in time to upset them but before the mods see it, so that the damage is already done, and two - that some people don't care what they post, as they can feel secure that the mods will tidy it up later. If we had to take full and lasting responsibility for what we post, we might be more polite and thoughtful in the first place.

That said - in a forum, this size, I do know there is no real alternative ! I am not commenting on modding as such, just on the effect its presence can have on some postings - so I hope this won't be pulled as meta-discussion; I think it is a valid point in a thread like this.