Reviews of tarot decks and books (split from Wow! never had.. slating)

Le Fanu

So many fascinating points and thought provoking issues being brought up here, I dont have time to respond now (rushing out to work), hope to post later.

But something I keep meaning to say; saying that my neighbour / 8 year old son / dog etc could do better is always - in whatever circumstances - just crap. It´s the least constructive comment ever. It was a kind of joke about Picasso a century ago. Not even funny then.

Surely everyone knows that such a comment is just laughable in the worst sense. Constructive doesn´t even come into it...

Debra

When someone says "my child could do this" they probably mean: no sign of a developed style, competence with the medium, concern for composition, appropriate use of color or skillful hand, etc.

Don't just post "my artwork" and expect applause.

Learn how to draw. Learn how to use different tools and materials. Learn how to compose elements within the frame of the picture. Learn how to choose colors.

If you don't try to learn these things, is it fair to expect your audience to put more work into articulating problems with the art than you put into developing it?

"My child could do this" is only five words.

Baroli

I like that Debra
"My child could do this" is only five words.

I look at decks not from a collector's standpoint, but as tools in the trade I happen to be in. There are some artists who's decks leave me uninspired, and because their art to me, is two-dimensional. Is their art bad? No. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are other artists that I absolutely am enthralled with their work and have a lot of their decks. They are inspiring to me and have a 3-4 dimensional aspect that I find appealing. I want to have the best tools for me that will assist in the readings I do and I feel I do have the right to say 'oh that doesn't move me,' or Gheesh! what a georgeous deck. I may even want to write a review as to why it doesn't move me or vice-versa. As I stated above, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (I also like to do readings with Splenda packets, sand, and pepples, and footprints), lots of fun those })

Btw, my sister is the artist. She draws beautifully. I on the other hand, do not draw, (stick figures is my forte :D) but I do compose music.

cirom

Debra said:
When someone says "my child could do this" they probably mean: no sign of a developed style, competence with the medium, concern for composition, appropriate use of color or skillful hand, etc.

Er... yes Debra, thats exactly what they meant.
Debra said:
Learn how to draw. Learn how to use different tools and materials. Learn how to compose elements within the frame of the picture. Learn how to choose colors.
I'll try to remember that.

Debra

*Sigh*

Here's the important part.

Don't just post "my artwork" and expect applause.

Like a child.

cirom

Debra said:
*Sigh*

Here's the important part.

Like a child.

I didn't include that part because I think it goes without saying. I believe I have gone to great lengths to clarify that I don't expect just applause, nor should any other creative person. I don't want to argue with you but please actually read what I write.

Debra

I was responding to le Fanu's comment, you darling egomaniac you. It's not always about you you you ciro.

cirom

Debra said:
I was responding to le Fanu's comment, you darling egomaniac you. It's not always about you you you ciro.

No its not Debra, most times its actually about defending and helping other artists on these boards in various forms. As you of all people should be aware of when you asked for some help from me a short while ago.

But you're getting a little personal here don't you think.

baba-prague

What no-one has said so far is that there is inherently something about forums that tends to cause flare-ups. It's one reason I haven't shown anything much here this year. I think somehow that blogs are a better online form for discussing anything that can get emotive. I suppose that on my blog, commentators/critics are aware of being in MY space (illusory, but still, it does feel that way) and so do apply more of the "politesse" that Scion describes.

Forums are often much too like public free-for-alls complete with crowds yelling "Fight, fight, fight!" and egging on their favourite - however well moderated they are.

ilweran

baba-prague said:
Forums are often much too like public free-for-alls complete with crowds yelling "Fight, fight, fight!" and egging on their favourite - however well moderated they are.

And this forum is actually a haven of peace and reason compared to some - I post (occasionally!) on one rather geeky gaming forum that is consistently unwelcoming and aggressive to newbies and where there can be 40+ pages of unpleasantness about games often based on the fact that it was developed for consoles and not just PC's!

I know worse behaviour elsewhere doesn't justify bad behaviour here, but I can honestly say this is the nicest forum I've ever been a member of - although that means I actually can get a bit upset when things are unpleasant here when with some other forums it just washes over me.