Print on Demand Cards

tarotmama

divinemsm said:
I really would be bummed by this because your cards are just stunning!!
So, lets say I go full bleed and design my cards with what would work with their layout. How is the card stock and the finish? Are they really stiff or really flimsy and cheap?

They aren't flimsy. They're pretty stiff. Stiffer than what I was expecting. They are easily shufflable, but hard to bridge/fan. Though there aren't as many cards in my deck as a tarot and I haven't put a whole lot of time shuffling them either. Maybe they'd break in some? (I mistakenly sent one card twice so I don't have a full deck of my cards -- which is mostly why I haven't played with them so much)

They are just printed -- no finish, but the colors and ink look great and it has a nice satiny look.

If they would fix the registration problems, I'd say they'd be damn near perfect!

canid

I just don't get it. What process are they using to print something that can't be registered?? I've been a graphic designer for 30+ years, was the print buyer for a Fortune 500 company & have worked for printers. I don't know of any printing method that they could possibly use that would be unable to register. And still stay in business.

ETA - How was the finish? Did they tell you what they used?

tarotmama

canid said:
I just don't get it. What process are they using to print something that can't be registered?? I've been a graphic designer for 30+ years, was the print buyer for a Fortune 500 company & have worked for printers. I don't know of any printing method that they could possibly use that would be unable to register. And still stay in business.

ETA - How was the finish? Did they tell you what they used?

My guess is a giant copying machine :D

I don't know what you mean by finish. I don't think they have any kind of coating on them at all. I think it's the paper stock they use that gives them a bit of a sheen.

Chronata

Could also be the inks. Some copiers /laser printers use toner that gives it an awesome sheen. And some ink jets can do that now as well.

Bat Chicken

Most all POD's are digital printing - no plates, so register cannot be an issue. But cutting can be off and un-center and image.

philebus

Well, I've found another option:

http://www.superiorpod.com

Again, they print Poker (or Bridge) size cards but this time, they seem to be saying that they can guarantee registration for the face side (they suggest a full bleed pattern on the back side). There is a minimum order of 3 packs but the price doesn't seem bad. I'm not sure of their marketing arrangements if you want to sell through them but for a small print run for you to sell yourself, it could be a runner.

Although the tuck boxes are for a couple of standard packs, there is a suggestion on the pricing page that for a one time set up charge they can produce custom sizes - if I've understood correctly, then they may also be able to print a LWB to enclose with the pack.

souljourney

I also wonder who printed the Pathfinders Animal Totem deck. It was only 1000 copies, no book, but had a box.
The book you downloaded from their website... fine by me.

tarotmama

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a local printer. They are a little more expensive and I will have to put the money down all at once, but quality is more important to me and it's nice being able to meet up with the person doing the printing in person.

And if they screw it up, they'll have to look me in the eye and ask me to pay for it. (And of course I'll just refuse)

souljourney

divinemsm said:
Or a yodelling cat deck complete with accompanying CD.... LOL!!

Very funny!!

Go to youtube and look up yodeling cat if you must know more...

HudsonGray

We tried that with ours, it actually works. Pisses the cats off though.