Deck "Curve"

nisaba

WingspreadPhoenix said:
Hmm, I dunno. It depends. I'd still worry about it catching fire. Although, hair doesn't catch fire when ironed with an iron, so I'm not sure.
<irons head experimentally>

Ow!

Oh, you're right. Second degree burns, but no flames <grin>.

Cicero

It works! I did it today, starting with the lowest setting and working my way up, gradually.

And believe it or not, ironing works!

nisaba

Cicero said:
It works! I did it today, starting with the lowest setting and working my way up, gradually.

And believe it or not, ironing works!
You'd want to NOT do that with laminated cards. <puts her arms protectively around her Hudes, her Sheridan-Douglas and all her other favourite shinies>

gregory

REALLY ? I was wondering whether it would work to reaffix some dodgy laminate that way.... anyone know ? Single cards are so SMALL to put through a laminator... I can see them vanishing :(

nisaba

gregory said:
REALLY ? I was wondering whether it would work to reaffix some dodgy laminate that way....(
It'll melt and burn and gas off and probably leave brown bubbly bits where melted charred laminate clots to the cards!

That's it. I can't possibly allow you anywhere near my cards ... when you visit Australia, mine will NOT be the house with the huge sign out the front saying "People called Gregory not welcome"! It will be one of the other twenty million houses.

Jamie_1311

Grizabella said:
It's from shuffling always in the same direction and bridging them back together. My daughter does this and her decks always develop this. The cure? Shuffle a few times with the backs facing you, then shuffle a few times with the fronts facing you. Always do this, alternating front and then back, and your decks will lie down flat. No matter how much you enjoy doing it, don't bridge! That puts a lot of wear and tear on the images both on the front and back of your decks. I have decks I've been using for around ten years and every single one of them lies down perfectly flat on the table. I don't have fronts and backs all scratched off, either.

Thanks for the tip, this has helpd me alot!.

Cicero

gregory said:
REALLY ? I was wondering whether it would work to reaffix some dodgy laminate that way.... anyone know ? Single cards are so SMALL to put through a laminator... I can see them vanishing :(

DON'T!

Laminate melts! My cards are all Lo Scarabeo, and I used a nylon/acrylic setting. I'm not sure how much you know about textiles, but those two plastics melt like a bitch. Hell, acryillic dissolves in acetone!

I should mention that this is meant to straighten 'paper' not melt plastic. That's not the goal here. Lol, but a genius way of ruining your cards lol.

If you are using the iron to straighten your cards, be careful, patient and slow. If you are turning the iron up so hot that the laminate melts? You risk ruining your iron, board, deck and possibly burning yourself.

I wouldn't suggest putting your cards through a laminator either. Because the laminate will seperate after extended use. This will also ruin your cards, because as the plastic sperates, it takes off the top layer it attached to. Not to mention air bubbles if you don't do it right...*sigh*

gregory

I am talking about the kind of laminate that has already been through a personal home laminating machine (this was a home made deck.) Which is pretty damn hot. But the deck is very old and a couple of the cards are peeling.

Not the stuff LS etc put on - which has never peeled off anything.

missy

I have two decks which are curved.

One is the Energy Tarot by Cheryl Shen. It has a slight curve in the center of the deck running lengthwise. Sometimes I shuffle (riffle and bridge it; it is indestructible due to laminate) with images facing up, as Griz said. It is only a slight curve, so not that noticeable. These cards are extra wide (measurements 3 5/8" wide x 5 1/8" high) so I wonder if that plus the lamination is the cause.

The other deck was slightly warped when it arrived. It has never been shuffled. It is stored in the same place all my other decks are. It is highly laminated; one of my Taiwan imports, the Amano tarot. The deck has always had a vertical curve running lengthwise. It is stored in its original box. However, the box is one of those oversized boxes with a well in it. It is not a tuckbox which might help the cards retain their shape.

All my other decks, stored in the exact same conditions, are not warped.

kmartin60

I recieved the IJJ deck in a ebay win and it is curled? Well bedned is more fitting but from its age and use I get the impression ....it was pub. in 1970 so for a 40 yr old deck it looks quite well to me! grins (I admit I riff...) hanging head......whoever had it last shuffled faces up at them and I do backs up at me so it is starting to get into the new bend.....grins

I love it..it just has an amazing feel to it.....Kim