How are Tarot readers esteemed?

canid

When I tell people I usually get one of three reactions. The Bible thumpers (which I can normally tell because they're very vociferous I so don't share to begin with) where I whip out my looong list of pro-divination scripture. We may or may not get into a 'discussion' regarding the meaning & corruption in translation of the English word 'witch' in the Bible. Then there are those who stare at me blankly. Tarot what? Then there are the ones whose eyes light up & say 'Oh, kewel! Can you read my cards (for free). Oh, yeah, there are also some 'believers' who are afraid, think I'm gonna put a curse on them if they're not nice. Fine with me! The nice part, that is.

hazlit

Thanks everyone so far for your responses - a wide range :)

Nisaba's post has helped me to realise that I should clarify the questions I asked:

I asked the first question because I'm curious about other people's experiences, not because I'm making a statement that this is an 'issue'. It's something that's got me thinking from time to time but I don't expect that this has been the case for everyone.

And in no way did I wish to imply that anyone would have to volunteer information about their interest/skills in Tarot. Again, I'm just curious about what others here have experienced (if anything) in relation to this question.

My question about airy-fairyness is related to the possibility of people projecting their stereotype of what a reader 'is', onto you when they find out (by whatever means) that you read Tarot cards. It's been my experience that stereotypes, though often connected to physical appearance and/or behaviour, can also be imposed when someone has knowledge about what you believe in or do, no matter how you behave or what you look like.

Overall, I asked the questions in the spirit of curiosity and learning, and I apologise for any shortcomings in my expression.

(~_~) :love:

JSNYC

Wow! Great thread hazlit! (And I am still mesmerized by your excellent avatar! ;) )

Mateo06 said:
The response I recieved several times was "if you believe in that stuff." but many procede to talk about "that stuff" afterwards..
That is the typical response I have seen. And I am like nisaba, as far as my attitude. I just started learning the Tarot less than 6 months ago. When I decided that I liked it, I decided to start sharing. So I told everyone! (Except for people who it wasn't appropriate to tell; work relationships where I keep "personal" stuff out them.)

The prevalence of negative responses did puzzle me a little. Everyone I told, gave me a strange look, or maybe a comment like, "do you really believe in "that" stuff?" Of course, my comment would be, "no, of course, you know I don't believe in "that" stuff, but that is not what "this" is." And then I would drop it. I simply don't discuss topics (like this) with people that don't want to discuss them. I have no desire to tell other's my view if they don't want to hear it. And I absolutely do not want to "convince" anyone, of anything, or "push my views" on anyone. I simply don't care. If someone believes something different, then my attitude is, "Fine, we have established that I believe/like this, and you believe/like that, so next topic." Thus, no conversation ever really ensued. We simply dropped it.

Although a few people did have a few questions, and I answered them. One of those people, and a person whose initial response was exactly, "you believe in "that" (derogatory tone) stuff?", I just got done doing my first "live" reading for that person yesterday, because he asked me too! :)

I think maybe he sees the "changes" in my life, and he wants some too! ;)

It was really funny. We sat down to do the reading and he was talking a mile-a-minute (about random, non-Tarot things). He was nervous. I never have seen him this nervous before. I really thought it was... odd. What is there to be nervous about? So I let him talk while I shuffled. But we had time constraints, so I cut the conversation a little short to get started. Then I explained to him briefly what I was doing and what he could expect...

He sat there through the entire reading with his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide, saying "that makes sense, yeah, that makes sense!" I think he was mostly mystified (pun intended :) ) that I wasn't talking about spirits, forces and such, and especially that I wasn't trying to tell him his future. I was simply telling him about him. When we got up to leave he was asking me, "So what's next? What is the next step? Can we do this again next week?" :laugh:

And I really liked the experience as well (I have been trying to setup live readings for a while, but without any luck.) It was a different experience than written readings. I am looking forward to the next time too!

I have another friend (maybe two) that I will be reading for this weekend. However, one of those friends never "questioned" the Tarot, mainly because he trusts me, and also seems to be as curious as I was when I started. (He actually wrote to me, when I proposed bring the Tarot when I see him, "I don't have any preconceived notions of why, and what you are going to do with the cards." I am very interested in seeing what happens! The other friend wants nothing to do with the Tarot. She does not want to know her future, and doesn't really believe me when I say that is not what this is about (she thinks I am a "silly boy"! :D). After she sees the cards, I will ask her once, if she wants a reading. If the answer is no, the cards go back in the bag and the conversation ends. (Or rather, moves on to something else.)

And next month when I travel back home to see my family, I will be doing live readings for them. I am extremely excited to see how that goes! They are a little... wary... but they trust me too. So I just think it is the uncertainty of what to expect that makes them wary.

ETA:
Oh, I wanted to respond to your "airy-fairyness" comment. That has never been a factor in my conversations because I am the exact opposite. I am extremely rational, logical, pragmatic etc. And I have been an agnostic most of my life, I believe in nothing, especially nothing man-made. People, and the idiotic systems (including belief systems) they create, never impress me or interest me. (That is not necessarily me now, but I am sure that is still how people see me.)

Alta

I have not had good reactions from others unless they were tarot readers themselves.

From my family I get both amusement and bemusement. The first because they think tarot is silly and the second because I am logic-based person who took her education in one of the hard sciences and spent my life in applied science. Hard to reconcile.

I have learned not speak about it with my church friends. Even though I belong to what is theoretically an open-minded church, even the priest spoke on a Sunday specifically against all such spiritual practises if they are not Christ-centred. I was somewhat amused to borrow a book from the church library and find virtually all so-called New Age practices 'explained' in a Christ-centred way. I wonder if the priest ever read it. :) I have heard some pretty good rants and there is no doubt that in church circles such practises are of Satan.

I have tried, at various times, to bring it up with friends, but have never (except once) gotten a positive response. Even one woman who did Reiki stared at me as if the fires of hell were burning in my eyes when I offered to exchange a reading for a Reiki treatment.

So, the only place that I discuss tarot now is here on ATF and in the Ottawa Tarot Club. I have found the reactions ranging from amused contempt through fear and hostility. One friend, back in Halifax, finds it interesting and likes to get readings when I visit and I haven't tried everyone whom I know. When I was working I would never have brought it up, it would have changed the way people interact with me and that would not have been helpful.

Alta

JSNYC

Alta said:
From my family I get both amusement and bemusement. The first because they think tarot is silly...
I completely relate Alta. One thing I left off my post is the Christian aspect. Which specifically applies to my family. I think they can't shake the "comes from satan" garbage that is preached. I believe that is a major source of... trepidation, with at least one of my family members.

You know, I think the pattern is quite interesting. The Tarot's genesis is intertwined with the Bible, but "Christians" may be the one's that reject the Tarot the most venomously. Actually, I think it's archetypical. The Hierophant, dogma, it is dangerous and blinding... Of course, blinding dogma is not unique to Christianity. It's not unique, period. ;)

That makes me think of a story. I was much younger and in a restaurant with my Grandpa. My family generally never talked about Christianity much around me. They know I didn't care, I heard it all before, and they also know if they get into a debate, they will lose. ;) But someone had bought a cup with a picture of a figure from a Jim Henson movie on it, an "evil muppet". My Grandpa exclaimed, "That is of the devil!" I didn't say anything (typical of me), but I looked at him with the distinct thought in my mind, "That isn't of the "devil"?!? It's a muppet!!! It is "of" cloth and strings, used to tell a fairy tale!" I didn't say anything, and he didn't say any more. :laugh:

ETA:
Oh, and I have another family member who recently emailed me and mentioned that they had "found" Christianity. We were very close growing up, but I don't really talk to him much anymore. I haven't told him yet... I will wait until I see him in person because I believe it is quite probable that he would reject it immediately if I casually mentioned it in email...

Honestly, I am really surprised at the universally negative reaction I have received, although sometimes it is only slightly negative, which simply tends to make me think the Tarot is all the more "right"! ;)

greatdane

Interesting, Alta!

I, too, have wondered about all the religious-centered items that seem to revolve around things like tarot, oracles, etc. I've also read about people who practice witchcraft who are Christians. There is a lot of mixing and matching going on and whatever works for people is fine with me.

It would be difficult for me though, to belong to a church that didn't accept or condemned me for who I was or what I did.

I believe in light, good energy and treating all beings with love and respect (at least til they prove me wrong). Beyond that....it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

JSNYC

greatdane said:
It would be difficult for me though, to belong to a church that didn't accept or condemned me for who I was or what I did.
No one has ever condemned "me". Or they probably wouldn't have been my friend in the first place. (I have always been... unorthadox.) Not being able to "see" is not wrong, it is just how it is. We all do it, we just don't "see" it when we do...

But I agree with you, greatdane (except for the fact I have never belonged to any church, or anything similar). If someone rejects the person for what that person believes... there is no sense in conversing or associating with those people. It would only serve to bring both people "down". But I don't think that person is "bad" or anything, like I said, we all do it to some degree, it is human nature.

I have always believed that we all find beliefs and value systems to help us deal with this world, with life. It really doesn't matter if (I believe) those beliefs are "right" or "wrong". If they help that person live their life, attain some kind of happiness, then it is good. Thus I never wanted to disparage anyone's beliefs. (That is, unless they were trying too hard to "push" those beliefs onto me, then I would rip them to shreds! :laugh: )

So I have yet to meet a person who venomously rejects the Tarot. And, knowing me, when I do, I will just "drop it"... I think...

violetvoice

I do oracle cards, not tarot yet (but I plan to) but I think people's reactions to me are probably the same ones they give to tarot readers (since mostly they don't know the difference anyway :p).

I guess I'm lucky I haven't yet received any negative feedback. Then again, I'm careful not to share with religious people; and I've only started this a couple of weeks ago.

Regarding religious perspective on cartomancy in general:
I've been agnostic for all of my adult life, but after taking up the cards I actually felt more in tune with religion! So, I don't know what religious people might make of that. :p

greatdane

Nice Answer, JS...

Very thoughtful and thought-provoking. I am a, to each his or her own, kind of person, whatever works and someone is not harming another, go for it.

I abhor intolerance and ignorance (which generally go together). What bothers me most is that often the people who are most intolerant, know little to nothing about the religion or practice they feel so adamant about! That's one reason I took religious studies at university. If I was going to decide how I felt about any organized religion, it was only fair I actually know something about it!

The same thing applies to alternative religions or anything that sounds metaphysical or New Age (I'm really beginning to find New Age annoying, as it seems to set off a plethora of groans and instantly turns some off), often rigid, close-minded people just chose to ignore or ridicule or worse.

I think many people hold to the stereotypical view of what a tarot reader is or was. So I guess everyone into tarot (particularly those who read professionally) are the people who are slowly changing minds as to what tarot and tarot readers actually look like.

May all beings live in understanding and tolerance,

GD

Le Fanu

Presumably we don't have to be professional readers to answer this question, as we all get "reactions" whenever we tell someone...

Fortunately I don't know any bible-bashers or people who would wheel out the Medieval clichés. I find that friends and friends of friends always react positively. Nobody has ever come out with a stereotype and certainly, if they have, haven't tried to square it with me. But I bet a few friends secretly think it is silly, but they're just too polite to say so. However, it always thrills me when I have intelligent friends asking for readings and finding it all fascinating. This is all the confirmation that I need really.

But when I do a reading, I tend to enter into it in the spirit of "hey, no expectations, let's just see what comes up!" I never try to do the hard sell and tell people how accurate the tarot is. Partly because I'm not sure how far I myself believe it...