Deck of the week group - Week 4 - 27th Aug - 3rd September

NikkiB

Haven't been posting much on this week with the Visconti. Kind of disheartening to read of people giving up on a deck after mere hours, or reading with three decks at a time. Defeats my understanding of the "purpose" of the exercise, and makes me think I'm not on the same page as the group. So I will just go it on my own from here on out.

:heart:

Awww don't' leave us... This is a large group and most people are sticking with the exercise, this is the first time we have had decks abandoned in four weeks, so not. Bad going really. Also this group is for each person to find their own way with a deck, each of our journeys is a personal one but I really enjoy sharing that with others who are doing the same thing..

jema

Still working with the shadowscapes just not writing a lot other then in the paper journal and in swedish. I take it out on town even, went to Piteå, a lil town to the north of me for a day of shopping and sat in the back of the car and just looked it through, picking out fave cards etc.
It is pretty. But I am not 'inspired' by it. Somehow it is like the artist poured out all her inspiration and there is just not a lot of 'room' left over for mine. Hard to explain what I mean though.

But I hear you on the animal part!!!
I been dreaming about absolutely HERDING animals 3 nights now.
I been chasing away everything from cats, badgers, owls, crows, lions and squirrels from my imaginary dream house lol.

Elendil

Keeping faithfully to the one deck a week for readings I am enjoying the sun and moon tarot very much. It has Thoth card titles with some RWS imagery - but also its own twist. It feels like a stripped down Thoth (not dumbed down). There are not as many layers of symbols, colours, attributions - BUT there's still enough to go on and enough to spark the intuition. Somehow the faceless people become each and every one of us...

Another 'controversial' deck according to some of the comments found on here, but I find working with it and exploring the images most pleasurable.

[I HAVE joined the Ludy Lescot Study Group - but don't think this decision compromises my deck for a week commitment as it will be the stusy of individual cards, not readings or daily draws]

Elendil

NikkiB

I am enjoying the sun and moon tarot very much.

I have been waiting to see how you found this one, I quite like the look of it but wanted to see how readable you felt it was.. so great to get the feedback!

Elendil

sun and moon tarot

To be honest I have found this deck to be the most coherent of the one's I have used so far. It was designed, clearly, as a tarot deck from the outset so the art is an integral part of it. It does not use paintings already used for other purposes (Tarot of the Vampyres) It does not set out to be provocative and controversial (Ludy Lescot) It doesn't require a whole new system of attributions to be learned, neither is it over-sized - or artistically jarring (Kingdom Within). Each of the decks that I have used so far has been readable...but there is something particularly appealing about this one and it is the first (so far) that I know I will be reluctant to move on from.

Essjay

Haven't been posting much on this week with the Visconti. Kind of disheartening to read of people giving up on a deck after mere hours, or reading with three decks at a time. Defeats my understanding of the "purpose" of the exercise, and makes me think I'm not on the same page as the group. So I will just go it on my own from here on out.

Don't go!

NikkiB

To be honest I have found this deck to be the most coherent of the one's I have used so far. It was designed, clearly, as a tarot deck from the outset so the art is an integral part of it. It does not use paintings already used for other purposes (Tarot of the Vampyres) It does not set out to be provocative and controversial (Ludy Lescot) It doesn't require a whole new system of attributions to be learned, neither is it over-sized - or artistically jarring (Kingdom Within). Each of the decks that I have used so far has been readable...but there is something particularly appealing about this one and it is the first (so far) that I know I will be reluctant to move on from.

Thanks for that, interesting, I do like what I have seen of the images and have been watching your blog with interest. The images seem quite endearing to me, nice and simple.

I was ok with the Vampyre one but in hindsight not one that I would particularly go back to, and I am still to read with the Ludy Luscot - I might make that next weeks... I did have Kingdom within but really didn't like the people in it, I found them quite creepy! My current VR deck is one of my favorites to read with but I really enjoyed the new experience of the Thoth - I am starting to feel less is more... I really like the expansion of the cards with the Thoth system..

Elendil

...My current VR deck is one of my favorites to read with ...

I never really got anything from the VR (although I have both standard editions of her 'dark-sister' the BG). I sold on my copy of the VR last year. I also intend to sell a Fairy Tale Tarot (box opened but cards still in shrink wrap).

NikkiB

I never really got anything from the VR (although I have both standard editions of her 'dark-sister' the BG). I sold on my copy of the VR last year. I also intend to sell a Fairy Tale Tarot (box opened but cards still in shrink wrap).

There are some cards I really don't like.. The fool and the 2 pentacles I really dislike! but I do find it readable. I went made and bought every edition but actually the Russian for some reason is my favorite. I haven't really looked at the Fairy Tale one (I will now though :) )

Asbestos Mango

jackdaw, I didn't abandon Sweet Twilight after just hours. I had actually tried doing a few readings with it last week, (cheating on the Thoth while I was at it- I used the Thoth for my main reading of the day, and then did a "getting to know the deck" reading later in the evening with ST) and two readings with it this week, including a full-on Celtic Cross. I've got family in from out of town, plus I'm in day treatment for anxiety and depression issues, and that's just too much going on to fool with a deck that I have found I can't get a coherent reading from. Please don't leave the group just because a couple of us have found our DotW unreadable.

Oh, and I just did a very good reading with the Archeon. I had left it sitting in my Tarot basket for months while I played with my other decks, and had almost forgotten how great it is to read with. Since this week, my readings have to be of the "quick and dirty" variety, the Archeon is perfect. It doesn't fool around. It tells me what I need to know, especially in dealing with my sister (relations with her have been a bit rocky- in childhood, she was spoiled while I was abused, but I'm getting off track here) without having to write paragraphs and paragraphs.