can we make our own rules in tarot?

momentarylight

My understanding of tarot

There are numerous positional spreads, and on top of that we have the choice to use reversed cards, in what way to deal with elemental dignities, and how far to stretch the meaning of each card. Seems we can set a rule, and it becomes a tool in the hands of the divinatory gods to ease our way in the tarot labyrinth, or does it?

I can find at least one case which seems to reject this theory, and that is the yes/no question. In case the tarot could answer yes/no questions, even if not completely perfect, we could live in a near perfect world. So the question is: what is wrong with my thinking, and how should we adapt the theory.

As Danieluk said (sorry - not sure of spelling), tarot has a structure which is 78 cards, with 22 Trumps, 40 minor cards and 16 Court cards. And there are four suits in the minor cards. At least that is the 20th c. version of tarot. The original tarot decks apparently were simply comprised of Trumps.

That structure belongs to tarot. You can't have a deck of 32 or 25 cards and call it tarot.

Tarot now, to me, is just a vehicle for symbolic language. You can read the cards as you wish but the structure provides a framework and consistency. The structure also has some historical validity.

People mean different things by the term "rules" as well and it is easy to get off track when you start talking about rules unless you say what you mean. Te term "rules" has a ring of authority which is so easily misunderstood.

I don't think there are any rules. There are traditions, habits, styles, spreads and patterns and all the many delightful ways that people like to use in organising their thoughts and behaviour. :D

You will almost certainly change your way of reading tarot if you continue your practice. That is the only thing I am prepared to predict with certainty :D

Stay around.