on NOT buying decks

danieljuk

I've been buying rather a lot this year so far and breaking my self imposed budget to try and not keep buying them! However really amazing offers came up and limited editions and buying off friends with trades. But I feel I have so many now, I have to use them and explore them. There is no point in buying something that gets ignored. I probably won't buy another deck this year now (famous last words). But definitely going to slow down my collecting. Need to appreciate the one's I have :thumbsup:

AmethystEyes

How does not buying decks work? :p

DaughterOfDanu

I was buying at least a deck a week up till about 2012 (Or whenever the Dark Fairytale and Dark Angels Tarots were published). I remember receiving them and being very disappointed by them. It was a bit of a wake up call and from that point forward I didn't see any that seemed worth it up till this year. I've been treating myself but I don't see any other decks out there that draw me in. And I plan to avoid window shopping sites like Llewellyn as I don't want to be tempted.

I think a big help was also my hiatus from this forum :p I mostly spent time in the deck discussion section and it's so hard not to be enabled. I'm trying my best to stick to the other subforums instead this time around.

I'm the same way with books, though not as bad as with cards. I think a lot of it is the excitement of getting things in the mail. It's like gifting yourself. You order it, and spend all that time waiting and the excitement/anticipation can be addicting.

I'm also spending time with one deck a week, alternating between tarot and oracle and doing daily draws with them. It's helpful and I feel less guilty about my collection being the size it is (I think I'm at around 100 decks, not counting duplicates)

kalliope

I'm sadly not at the saturation point yet. I wish I were! But like others have mentioned, my buying ebbs and flows. Half of my problem is that I go through phases as to which sort of reading style I'm using or studying, and that can suddenly attract me to decks I'd written off before.

But I do think harder about what I'm buying these days, and try to only get decks I can really see myself reading well with. I'm (mostly) past the days of buying everything pretty that catches my eye, and I'm definitely past the days of fantasizing about the perfect-for-me-deck-that-will-make-my-readings-super-magical. ;) Waiting a few days or weeks is a technique that really works to deflate my intense desire to buybuybuy, too.

I'm also trying to keep and buy only decks that really click with me and "spark joy," inspired by reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing. It pushed me to finally sell or trade a few lovely decks that would be better off with someone else.

But here's to all of you who manage to resist buying most everything while enjoying what you already have!

firefrost

I didn't buy any decks for a very long time because I had my culls and was happy with my 'comfy favourites'. Then a while after it came out I found I really wanted the Victorian Fairy Tarot, and I really love it.

I always envied people on both extremes - the ones with just the one deck that they've used forever and also the ones with many that they fish out on occasion to read with. I tried hard to be in the camp of the latter, but the majority of decks I had just left me feeling cold, so they were sold.

I know it's a case of 'never say never', but I can't see myself buying anything else at all, I don't even keep up with new deck releases.

AquaPeacock

Understood!!!

I only have a small collection...very small. I know I could buy cards any time I wanted, even wanted to spend $65+ on a plastic Ellis. I realised with my level of experience, (naive apprentice I call myself), I don't need to spend big, just study what I have. I decided to only purchase my desired decks if I came across them in a store. Found the Hermetic and Druidcraft this way. Picked up a cheap Conver Marseille too, but am putting a stop to new purchases.

I feel I now have a good representative collection and don't need to surf the net for new bling. It really is a temptation to buy whatever takes our fancy.

Good to see you back Nisaba.

I need to take a lesson from you lol. The addiction is real and I truly need to stop myself.

mrpants

I've been buying heavily the past few months, but I've also been selling a good deal. Right now, I'm all about trading up for things that suit me better. I start to feel a little out of control around 20 decks, so I trade out for new ones. That being said, I may expand to about 25 this year. It seems fairly manageable to me. I can't imagine having over 100! I'd feel like an archivist :)

urbandryad

I'm one of those people who got one of your lovely decks. I need to read that book. I need to de-clutter quite a lot!

I'm sadly not at the saturation point yet. I wish I were! But like others have mentioned, my buying ebbs and flows. Half of my problem is that I go through phases as to which sort of reading style I'm using or studying, and that can suddenly attract me to decks I'd written off before.

But I do think harder about what I'm buying these days, and try to only get decks I can really see myself reading well with. I'm (mostly) past the days of buying everything pretty that catches my eye, and I'm definitely past the days of fantasizing about the perfect-for-me-deck-that-will-make-my-readings-super-magical. ;) Waiting a few days or weeks is a technique that really works to deflate my intense desire to buybuybuy, too.

I'm also trying to keep and buy only decks that really click with me and "spark joy," inspired by reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing. It pushed me to finally sell or trade a few lovely decks that would be better off with someone else.

But here's to all of you who manage to resist buying most everything while enjoying what you already have!

rylla

I've been buying heavily the past few months, but I've also been selling a good deal. Right now, I'm all about trading up for things that suit me better. I start to feel a little out of control around 20 decks, so I trade out for new ones. That being said, I may expand to about 25 this year. It seems fairly manageable to me. I can't imagine having over 100! I'd feel like an archivist :)

I have over 100 and I do feel like an archivist! :)